Poordad

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Acura TSX, 2015 Chrysler 300s, 2023 JLUR
@Kombine
I managed to take a video of the whine I have been getting upon acceleration, does it sound like what you are getting as well? Also does yours make that sound when in Park or Neutral?

My gf kept asking me where is the police car and if I'm getting pulled over..

Anyone think this sounds normal? My thread here:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ine-or-something-else-help-me-diagnose.70487/
That sounds like radio/speaker interference.

sounds like a dentist's drill. The OP's reminded me of a jet on taxi.
Sponsored

wshack

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport JL
Wow! Is it that loud in the cabin? Mine is not that loud even though it is noticeable with the windows down. My wife asked about it once, but really ours doesn’t appear to be that loud. Be interested in what others think for sure.
Yes, I have a 2019 2.0 turbo & mine does make a noise also especially when I first start it up. Was wondering if it was something with the turbos.

Jstarr

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
94YJ, 2020 T4R TRDOR, 2017 Taco TRDOR, 2000 Tundra
I ran a rental Sahara recently for 3600 miles, everything from crawling Utah & Colorado slickrock to dicing it up with traffic at 80mph on US 70. The motor produces nice power all around with great fuel economy, can climb steep slopes 4Lo/1st. Loved it.
But the intermittent whine is loud & annoying to me.

Category5Bronado

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
My 2020 2.0 doesn't make the whine. My 2021 2.0 makes the whine. Neither have e-torque.

df007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara 2.0
My 2019 does not whine either. I think they changed turbo manufacturers at some point; wonder if one whines more than the other?

Sponsored

dougiebros

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
I took my JL out to my cabin in the woods this week. I did notice when traveling downhill, the Jeep will downshift making the whine louder. I move it to manual and upshift and coast to quiet the noise. Once at the bottom of the hill, I move it back to auto and I'm good.

stephen10za

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Unlimited
I have a 2021 Willys 2.0t with less than 200 miles and the whine is very noticeable. Has anyone had their turbo replaced? Anyone lessen or fix the whine? I guess it might be something that I will have to get used to. Glad to hear that other people are experiencing the same noise.

XYJGuy

First Name
SG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 430i, Acura MDX, 2 Hyundai Tuscons, JL Willys
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
sounds like a dentist's drill. The OP's reminded me of a jet on taxi.
I was trying to characterize the sound mine makes and you did it for me. Dentist drill is spot on! Its driving me nuts, so I hope I get use to it. Outside of the drill sound and the rough idle on a cold start, its a great engine.

hiimmike

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Network Engineer
Mine sounds like that too, sounds like a Dyson.

Sponsored

Tr4ckD4ys

First Name
Tr4ck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
Bought a new 2021 Rubicon with the 2.0 Turbo (without E-torgue). Mine makes a loud whine when accelerating starting at around 1500 RPM. The engine noise does eventually get louder but its still there. I've watched exhaust videos and can here it in there and I've just assumed its normal but I cant find anywhere with definite information as to what the noise is.

Jeep is completely Stock.

Dont bash me to hard I'm also aware I'm hyper sensitive to engine noise.

Only reason I'm making this post is I finally did lite off-roading and in 4lo the noise is much louder.

Just want technical information as to what the noise is.

Video of my jeep making the noise. the video is also reference for noise in case anyone else has the same concern. I know there are posts about it but none with video of the noise.

@Kombine I know I’m reviving quite the old thread but your video was the only one in the entire internet that I could find and accurately depicts the exact same experience I am having.

did you ever figure out what it was/did anything that changed or solved the whine? Do you still have the Jeep?

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Tr4ckD4ys - I’ve owned my 2.0 etorque for 2.5 years/28,000 miles and it’s always made this sound. Love the way the engine drives…not the sounds however. I’ve not had any mechanical issues with the engine. Seems like some are louder than others…

Tr4ckD4ys

First Name
Tr4ck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
Tr4ckD4ys - I’ve owned my 2.0 etorque for 2.5 years/28,000 miles and it’s always made this sound. Love the way the engine drives…not the sounds however. I’ve not had any mechanical issues with the engine. Seems like some are louder than others…
Thank you! This seems to be the gist of this thread too. Sounds are varying from none to a lot, but no one with reporting any mechanical issues or anything that has created a change in sound/pitch.

moparcruiser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport S 80th Anniversary
I took my Jeep the dealer for something else today, and casually mentioned that I had a fairly prominent turbo whine. The tech who took a look at it, said that bits of the turbo fins probably got damaged and is either scraping or changing the dynamics of air inside, creating that whistling noise.

So, he went ahead and ordered a new turbo for me. Parts due to arrive in mid May.
I know this is an ancient thread but --- wondering if you, Arterius2, had the turbo replaced and if so what is the status of the whine if you still have the JEEP?

moparcruiser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport S 80th Anniversary
Thank you! This seems to be the gist of this thread too. Sounds are varying from none to a lot, but no one with reporting any mechanical issues or anything that has created a change in sound/pitch.
Have you had any further issues with the whine?

Mine started making a scraping noise and the dealer replaced the idler pulleys.....and now I just have the whine.....but since I am tuned to the noise now I am wondering if its normal over time....
Sponsored