First Name
Kirt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Military
Bought a new 2021 Rubicon with the 2.0 Turbo (without E-torgue). Mine makes a loud whine when accelerating starting at around 1500 RPM. The engine noise does eventually get louder but its still there. I've watched exhaust videos and can here it in there and I've just assumed its normal but I cant find anywhere with definite information as to what the noise is.

Jeep is completely Stock.

Dont bash me to hard I'm also aware I'm hyper sensitive to engine noise.

Only reason I'm making this post is I finally did lite off-roading and in 4lo the noise is much louder.

Just want technical information as to what the noise is.

Video of my jeep making the noise. the video is also reference for noise in case anyone else has the same concern. I know there are posts about it but none with video of the noise.

I have a 2021 2.0 also without ETorque. Mine is also pretty loud. I wander if only the non ETorque turbos are this loud?
I don’t notice any Diesel engine rattle on my engine, like others have described on this thread.
Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I think this thread just goes to show the wide range of hearing sensitivity everyone has (or lack there of).

With that said, it’s a very high pitched whine that I’m sure may be beyond of the hearing frequency of some people. I can hear the turbo whine super loud like a police siren going off, while my gf doesn’t hear a thing. So make of that what you will.. :)

MARSHMELLA

First Name
Kirt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Military
Mine is an etorque....it’s the turbo.
I know it’s the turbo. What I’m wandering is if the non ETorque engines have a louder turbo. Mine is also pretty noticeable with the windows up, even more when they are down.

MARSHMELLA

First Name
Kirt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Military
I think this thread just goes to the wide range of hearing sensitivity everyone has (or lack there of).

With that said, I can hear the turbo whine super loud like a police siren going off, while my gf doesn’t hear a thing. So make of that what you will.. :)
Is yours the non ETorque?

Sponsored

MARSHMELLA

First Name
Kirt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Military
I have the Etorque
That’s why she doesn’t notice it. It’s possible that the non ETorque turbos are louder for some reason.

OP
OP
Kombine

Kombine

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLU Sport
Thanks guys. This is the reason I made the post. seeing so many varying opinions about the noise. I'm not concerned with it anymore since majority of you mention that yours makes the same sound. I just watched a recent YouTube video of Synergy's 2 door JL in MOAB and it makes the same noise.

OP
OP
Kombine

Kombine

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLU Sport
Sounds like turbo whine combined with the diverter valve dumping excess boost into the intake. The high rpms are making boost, but low gearing and momentum are minimizing the actual load on the motor, which would cause boost to be dumped into the intake. I wouldn't be concerned.

So, did you have fun? Looked fun.
First time using the jeep and testing all the fun things Rubicon's get was fun.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
@Kombine
I managed to take a video of the whine I have been getting upon acceleration, does it sound like what you are getting as well? Also does yours make that sound when in Park or Neutral?

My gf kept asking me where is the police car and if I'm getting pulled over..

Anyone think this sounds normal? My thread here:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ine-or-something-else-help-me-diagnose.70487/

Last edited:

Sponsored

Rubicube

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2.0t
The reason that the Etorque versions aren't as loud, is because the Turbo isn't doing as much work in the low RPM range. Once the Etorque system was removed, the engineers had to modify the calibration to spool the turbo sooner in an effort to restore some of the lost torque off of idle.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
That sounds like radio/speaker interference.
I took my Jeep the dealer for something else today, and casually mentioned that I had a fairly prominent turbo whine. The tech who took a look at it, said that bits of the turbo fins probably got damaged and is either scraping or changing the dynamics of air inside, creating that whistling noise.

So, he went ahead and ordered a new turbo for me. Parts due to arrive in mid May.

west tex

First Name
Skoro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2dr 80th Edition, 2017 Renegade Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired, as in "Tired again"
hmmmm...

I'm the odd man out here. My new 80th Edition has the 2.0T w/o etorque, but less than 1000 miles on it yet. TBH, I haven't heard anything at all unusual (turbo whine, etc) so far. It's been smooth as glass.

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2020 JT, 1990 Mustang
Build Thread
Link
Mine whines but there is no difference in performance. I think it’s honesty just placement of the turbo. That and the aluminum hood having different sound properties than steel we are used too

In comparison my Cummins whined a little but the diesel clack covered most of it but the turbo was right off the side.

The 3.5 ecoboost in the navigator barely makes any turbo noise, disappointingly, but both turbos are tucked down and back pretty far. It also has an under body sound insulator and a fiberglass Hood.

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
Im late to the party here but personally I think the “whine” from inside and out sounds awesome. Like a jet engine spooling up. Hope mine whines a bit when I get it. Might even change the good decal to Whinicon. LOL. Not really.
Sponsored