2020 "Service Stop/Start System"

mikebost

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
x5, x6, JLR
We just arrived home last night in our new 2020 JLR 259 miles and are already getting an error message "Service Stop/Start System". I do know a lot of people reported this issue back for 2018-2019 JLs, obviously, I did check the minor things like the fuse box and etc. This is my first Jeep and coming from a BMW family of cars I'm not even sure what my expectation should be when I bring it for warranty service. With BMW, it's a given fact that they will provide a loaner car for any warranty repairs even if you didn't purchase the car from them (oil changes and maintenance depends on a dealer). Can I expect a loaner car from any local Jeep dealership for my warranty issue?

Thanks, Mike

Jeep Wrangler JL 2020 "Service Stop/Start System" IMG_0583
Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Can I expect a loaner car from any local Jeep dealership for my warranty issue?
Typically, only the dealer that you purchased from will provide a loaner. Best bet, call and ask the dealer you want to get the service done at.

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
Loaners seem to be hit or miss depending on the dealer. If you bought any kind of extended / upgraded warranty, check the wording. Also, sometimes your insurance may offer to get you a rental. If you complain loud enough you could probably get the dealer to give you one. You could also reach out to @JeepCares on here via private message, and they may be able to help you out.

Regardless, the fix for that issue should be half a day at most. I would just call your dealer’s service department to figure out when you can get it in, get there first thing in the morning and wait if you can. I doubt there are any issues driving it until it’s fixed.

Some dealers are better than others, but I wouldn’t expect the BMW dealer experience at any Jeep dealer.

OP
OP
mikebost

mikebost

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
x5, x6, JLR
Loaners seem to be hit or miss depending on the dealer. If you bought any kind of extended / upgraded warranty, check the wording. Also, sometimes your insurance may offer to get you a rental. If you complain loud enough you could probably get the dealer to give you one. You could also reach out to @JeepCares on here via private message, and they may be able to help you out.

Regardless, the fix for that issue should be half a day at most. I would just call your dealer’s service department to figure out when you can get it in, get there first thing in the morning and wait if you can. I doubt there are any issues driving it until it’s fixed.

Some dealers are better than others, but I wouldn’t expect the BMW dealer experience at any Jeep dealer.
I have to drive away for a few weeks and will most likely cover 1500+ miles, do you think this type of issue/error will be OK to drive with?

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
I have to drive away for a few weeks and will most likely cover 1500+ miles, do you think this type of issue/error will be OK to drive with?
If I were you, I would want an idea of what the issue is before taking it on a 1500+ mile trip. It could be as simple as a bad/low ESS battery. Do you have a battery charger/maintainer? And/Or have the dealership take a look at it prior to your trip.

By the way, if one of the two batteries (main/ESS) is bad, it will drain the other one also.

Sponsored

OP
OP
mikebost

mikebost

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
x5, x6, JLR
If I were you, I would want an idea of what the issue is before taking it on a 1500+ mile trip. It could be as simple as a bad/low ESS battery. Do you have a battery charger/maintainer? And/Or have the dealership take a look at it prior to your trip.

By the way, if one of the two batteries (main/ESS) is bad, it will drain the other one also.
I bet that would be batteries since this car was pulled yesterday from dealership storage and with the manufacture date stamped all over 1-14-2020 it was seating almost for 4+ months.

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
I bet that would be batteries since this car was pulled yesterday from dealership storage and with the manufacture date stamped all over 1-14-2020 it was seating almost for 4+ months.
My battery was bad and it was preventing the ESS from working and I got the the Battery Charging message, not what you’re seeing, so it could be a different issue.

OP
OP
mikebost

mikebost

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
x5, x6, JLR
just returned from my local dealer, they saved error log and cleared computer error, everything working fine now; according to the tech its possible that jeep computer didn't switch correctly from shipping mode prior to delivery.
Sponsored