Sponsored

2018 JLU Dash Cluster Failure

FLpunkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
I have a 2018 JLU Sahara that just had its Dash Cluster fail; Gauges work, but the computer screen does not. The only real information i miss out on is tire pressure and gas level, which are both easily managed.

The frustrating part is Jeep's Service. They originally gave me a 10 day eta for the new cluster, but said they needed to keep my Jeep until they can change the part (the factory programs the odometer info provided by the dealership). This would be fine, and I agreed... but now 17 days later, they are now saying there is NO ETA on the part and they have no idea when I can get my jeep back. After harassing the dealer multiple times, they are saying that they have seen this take 90 days. Being told false data originally is really frustrating and definitely makes me think a lot less of Jeep.

My real issue, is that if it is on a backorder that is that long, I will return with my Jeep later, and they can pull the odometer at that time for programming... or I will return at a later date when the backorder wait is known/not as long. However, they keep insisting I leave them with my Jeep and they are "working" it. Im not trying to be difficult, but it makes no sense to put me in a rental car for a backordered part unless it is for a short duration. I can bring the car back and they can pull the odometer data then.

Anyone else experienced this? I'm trying to get a feel of if this really ends up being a multi-month issue and I need to go get my Jeep back and start the process later when the part isn't on this long of a back order.

I know this is minor in the big scheme of life, but these are my only 2 full weeks off that I get to work on the Jeep...and had they been honest up front and said its a 30-90 day thing, I would have deferred a few weeks until the time was more convenient...Extremely disappointed in Jeep and this process at the moment.
Sponsored

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Opinion: It's your Jeep, go get it. It's really that simple.

They will tell you they don't want to have to disassemble/reassemble, but they have no grounds to hold the Jeep unless they believe it would be a hazard to you/others. If that's the case, and it's dangerous to drive the Jeep with the issue you're having then, it's really safer to stay out of it.

Also, check with Benny @AllMoparParts.com. He may have some advice on how to get the part you need. There may also be an aftermarket option, or you may find the part in a wrecked/totaled Jeep.

Best of luck to you! I went close to 4 weeks without mine due to the clutch recall, I get it, it sucks!

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I have a 2018 JLU Sahara that just had its Dash Cluster fail; Gauges work, but the computer screen does not. The only real information i miss out on is tire pressure and gas level, which are both easily managed.
How long did you deal with this before taking it in? I had a similar situation where the screen failed to turn on, but the analog gauges worked just fine. However, it only happened on a single drive. When I parked the vehicle and left it for a while, it came back on when I returned.

OP
OP
FLpunkin

FLpunkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
All of it occurred on a single day (waited over the weekend before taking it in just in case it was anomalous). It flickered a few times while driving and then just went out. On the drive home that day, it came back on for a few minutes and everything was normal before going back out again...and it didnt come back on over the next 2 days prior to me taking it to the shop. Happened on a Friday and I took it to the shop on a Monday.

I believe it is just the display that failed (or the connector the display plugged into), because the couple of times it popped back on the display had changed from my button presses.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
All of it occurred on a single day (waited over the weekend before taking it in just in case it was anomalous). It flickered a few times while driving and then just went out. On the drive home that day, it came back on for a few minutes and everything was normal before going back out again...and it didnt come back on over the next 2 days prior to me taking it to the shop. Happened on a Friday and I took it to the shop on a Monday.

I believe it is just the display that failed (or the connector the display plugged into), because the couple of times it popped back on the display had changed from my button presses.
Do they still have your Jeep?

Seeing how much technology is crammed into vehicles nowadays, I always take a computer repair and diagnostic approach to situations such as these. That isn't to suggest there isn't an actual problem with the display itself, but I wonder if resetting the CANBUS could possibly resolve this. I've fixed a lot of glitches with the UConnect, USB ports, and audio by pulling fuses or just disconnecting the batteries entirely.

Sponsored

OP
OP
FLpunkin

FLpunkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
They still have my car for now. They asked to hold it until Tuesday (after new year) to get an eta...they claim they have requested expedited priority (who knows). I wont take a rental till they give me absolute eta..and plan to take my Jeep back this week if they canā€™t give me a due date. Can then just keep calling FCA until I expect to get a realistic due date before leaving my car. Will keep you posted this week.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
They still have my car for now. They asked to hold it until Tuesday (after new year) to get an eta...they claim they have requested expedited priority (who knows). I wont take a rental till they give me absolute eta..and plan to take my Jeep back this week if they canā€™t give me a due date. Can then just keep calling FCA until I expect to get a realistic due date before leaving my car. Will keep you posted this week.
We're sorry to hear about this, FLpunkin. Although we are unable to expedite parts on our end, we can certainly look into this further. Send us a private message with more details.

Kate
Jeep Cares

Mack.

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport LJ

Sounds like a plug issue. I would have pulled the cluster and cleaned the plug contacts and seen if that fixed it. Those clusters are very simple to remove. If the gauge is bad it would not have come back on at all. I did that with 16 Chevy 2500 pick up. In most cases, it is a ground wire.
Sponsored