2018 JLU Rubicon Electrical Failure

RobertBrown

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Just took my Jeep into the mountains for a hike and then got back to it and the fob wouldn’t open the door. Used the key and that set off the alarm once I opened the door and then Jeep wouldn’t recognize fob to turn off the alarm or start the engine. It has been at the dealership a couple of days and they’re not sure what the problem is after simple fixes have been ruled out. They suspected maybe a marmot chewed up some wiring. Has this happened to anyone?
Sponsored

OP
OP

RobertBrown

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Main battery, aux battery, and key fob battery all checked out fine.

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU , 2018 JLUR, 2023 JLR all DDs
There is a ground cable harness/terminal inside up high in the drivers side wheel well. Its under the inner liner and behind the steel frame. Its a bundle of 6 or so heavy wires. If that looses contact at the terminal or somehow gets damaged your Jeep is dead in the water, and will act as you discribed.

How I know this:

I would'nt normally admit this to most folks but when I installed the flat fenders on my wifes 2018 JLUR, I cut into that harness with a cuttoff wheel while removing the factory steel fender mounts. Could not see the harness becouse of the face shield I was using. (at least that the excuse I'm using). Anyway six hours later it was all soldered back and shrink wrapped. Jeep was happy again.

I'm sure the dealer will check the grounding system but I thought I would throw this out for you just FYI.

I hope it works out for you quickly.

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not sure it is all his fault, we have installed Marmot skin seat covers in all our jeeps and we seem to have started a trend. Everybody that is anybody is running them now.

OP
OP

RobertBrown

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
There is a ground cable harness/terminal inside up high in the drivers side wheel well. Its under the inner liner and behind the steel frame. Its a bundle of 6 or so heavy wires. If that looses contact at the terminal or somehow gets damaged your Jeep is dead in the water, and will act as you discribed.

How I know this:

I would'nt normally admit this to most folks but when I installed the flat fenders on my wifes 2018 JLUR, I cut into that harness with a cuttoff wheel while removing the factory steel fender mounts. Could not see the harness becouse of the face shield I was using. (at least that the excuse I'm using). Anyway six hours later it was all soldered back and shrink wrapped. Jeep was happy again.

I'm sure the dealer will check the grounding system but I thought I would throw this out for you just FYI.

I hope it works out for you quickly.
I appreciate it. Hopefully the dealership gets back to me and if they’re still at a loss I’ll be sure to mention this.

Sponsored

OP
OP

RobertBrown

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Update: dealership identified problem as a marmot chewing through a wiring harness. Definitely bringing some garden fencing next time I park at the trailhead and making a barrier of sorts to avoid this again.

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update: dealership identified problem as a marmot chewing through a wiring harness. Definitely bringing some garden fencing next time I park at the trailhead and making a barrier of sorts to avoid this again.
Glad to hear they found it. Hopefully they wont take you to the cleaners for troubleshooting it.

We are doing Ouray in August. I remember setting on Yankee Basin watching those goofy critters. Going to keep this information in mind.

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like Bobcats. It a drag when they dig claws into my back and bite my neck but they're just playing. I'm going to trap some and take them with us. That will teach those pesky Marmot.
Thanks for the tip TEXGOAT.

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wonder if I can walk them in the doggy area at Buc-ee's on the way to Colorado.
Sponsored