2.2 diesel tuning

CallumJL

First Name
Callum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon 2.2 Diesel
Hey all. I have been looking in to getting my 2019 Rubicon 2.2 diesel tuned.

So far I have found 2 options.

1 is a plug in off the shelf unit from Chipexpress.

The other is from a local dyno tuning shop that will unlock the ecu and perform a full dyno tune. They have supposedly done a few and netted results of around 30 to 40hp increase and a large amount of low down torque by removing all of the low gear torque limiting and only minor changes to fuel and timing with a small bump in boost.

Both options can be removed but the latter option needs to be taken back in to the shop to be removed. I would only do this if I had an issue and I was sending the car in to jeep.

Has any one had there's tuned? What results did you get? Who has taken a tuned car in to jeep?
Sponsored

Rubi D

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon Diesel, Hella Yella
All good questions. I had a similar thought, but not done the investigative work. Figured it was going to be a while before performance mods started popping up.
I do have concerns over what it would do in a warranty situation, so maybe for me something that can wait a bit longer. I am happy with the current performance.
Still, interested to hear what others are doing. I may yet be convinced.

SwissSteph

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.swissjeepjl.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon - Hella Yella - 2.2 Diesel
Vehicle Showcase
Good morning, everyone,

My first message on this great forum :)
Here are the modifications I put recently on my Jeep. The manufacturing quality is excellent.

The "PowerChip" kit is very well designed, once connected it is possible to put it "off" in any removed, or to choose three types of powers or uses. It is also possible to disconnect the electronic module and replace it with a plug that makes a "bypass" so the car is as original with just the cables added for connection so almost "invisible" if you do not remove the original plastic cover that is attached to the motor.

The "PedalBox" removes the "hole" when accelerating, so I also recommend this item

If you have any questions,
Steph

Last edited:

taram

First Name
Marat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 2020 2.2 Diesel Punk'n RHD
Hi everyone, great to see you here!
So, I'm still waiting for the Jeep actually, but since this awaiting is driving me crazy I try to look for possible mods, upgrades, etc. And certainly I thought about engine performance as well :)
I've had a previous experience with my BMW X6's - first of them was 35i (3.0 twin-turbo petrol motor) and the second was diesel 40d (3.0 twin-turbocharged diesel). The petrol one got a 'real' chip-tuning that reprogrammed the ECU - something like the second option that Callum has mentioned. I think I had some increase, but that could be more placebo effect actually - I had never measured it. Anyway, I started having engine errors from time to time, diagnostics showed some errors with the boost pressure, etc. Frankly speaking I finally sold it before figuring out everything. The later 40d diesel one had plug-in/off "box tuning" installed right from the dealership with warranty saving exactly as described in option 1 by Callum. AFAIK it slightly alters timings, fuel pump programs, boost pressure, etc. The initial output of that engine was 313 hp with 630 Nm torque, dyno-test after installing the box showed me 332 hp with 660 Nm - that is around 5% gain... I've also measured the 0-100 km/h performance with GPS and the difference was around 0.1-0.2 sec which I consider more like a statistic volatility... The car was brand new, and after 6-7 months a boost pressure error came out, the boost pressure sensor was replaced by warranty, but the technician strongly advised me to remove the tuning box as it would continue messing up the electronics as he said. So I removed it and enjoyed my car until the last day when I sold it with no issues.
Nevertheless, what I had installed in it was exactly the "pedal box" - I don't remember the exact brand, but they all are quite the same. And I can tell you that small thing for $200 gave me much more of subjective satisfaction than any box tuning. Unless I wanted to enter the original "SPORT" mode of my X6 that leaded to tougher steering and suspension characteristics, I just pressed that pedal box button and enjoyed no lag acceleration with the same comfort ride, as "COMFORT" mode is tuned to maximum comfort and fuel saving. You DON'T get faster acceleration, you DON'T get any power/torque increase, but what you GET - is your own feeling that car is more "alive" and reacts to your actions quicker.

So, speaking about me personally - I'd definitely go with the pedal box (I'm also considering DTE brand as it is German and I'd trust it more with our EU diesel engines), and unless I really seriously suffer from the lack of performance (which is very unlikely) I'd definitely avoid any box/chip tuning.
But look, Wrangler is a perfect off-road beast - a brick shaped beast. It's not a fast car and one shouldn't expect it from it IMO. If one wants it to be really fast for some reason - then one has to go for an engine swap - installing something like 6.2 HEMI engine as LiteBrite Nation guys did :rock:

KIVO

First Name
Kid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JLR 2.0
Occupation
Practical engineer
I can only share my experience with the "old" 2.8CRD engine which I had custom tuned, and my personal point of view.
Had more engines tuned in different ways, but of no relevance here.

I would always go with a local (and by preference one who has experience with the engine) tuner. A good tuner should not let you pay and leave the shop before you've driven the car, and made sure you are happy with the result. A local tuner can really customize the tune to your needs, and make adaptations still if you have remarks.

To keep in mind:
Emissions, and the guarantee given you will pass emission tests without any trouble (they are really strict here).
Not to exceed what the transmission can take in terms of torque (think the AT can take 500nm).
With an AT, when the transmission shifts gets influenced by a tune, and if not tuned correctly, you might end up with an AT, shifting in an irritating way, and that for sure is something you do not want. Here again, a local tuner who can make adaptations to a tune still, can here make the big difference.

Btw, I tuned the CRD from new, had it in for service, and never an issue. Might be dealer dependent though...

Sponsored

OP
OP

CallumJL

First Name
Callum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon 2.2 Diesel
Thanks for the replies so far guys/gals.

So far I am looking to get the iDrive throttle controller but as for a tune I am still undecided. I have noticed though once above around 60km an hour you have significantly more power. So there is some merit to what the tuner has said about the torque reduction in the power gears.

SwissSteph

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.swissjeepjl.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
My setup in my signature. I haven't driven a lot with it yet, but I'm very happy with my choices

taram

First Name
Marat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My setup in my signature. I haven't driven a lot with it yet, but I'm very happy with my choices
Hello Steph. Nice setup - I'd definitely go with PedalBox and I have already bought TazerMini. Have you somehow compared/measured output before/after installing DTE PowerControl? You have the PowerControl or PowerControl X? No issues/engine errors so far? And what is this K&N filter element - something that can be cleaned/reused? Or it's just for less air resistance and better performance? Looks interesting!

SwissSteph

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.swissjeepjl.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hello "Marat"

It is easy (I haven't done it yet) to measure the "before" and "after" installing the "PowerControl" (I have the "X" version). Because it can be "deactivated" by my phone or if you wish by removing the "electronic module" (fixed in the engine compartment) and replacing it with a "Shunt" (a kind of plug that replaces the electronic module) so that the module is no longer even present in the car.

I am currently in the "orange" (Dynamique mode) of the PowerControl and also the "orange" mode of the PedalBox. No problem, but once again I haven't driven much with it yet! I would like to point out that the manufacturing quality of the PowerControl and PedaBox is really excellent!

The K&N filter I put it on, because I always put it on my cars, I like the idea of being able to wash it and put it back on, I also like the idea of having a little more air coming into the engine too. It simply replaces the original "paper" one (so very easy to change, 5 screws to unscrew)

SwissSteph

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.swissjeepjl.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Accuracy on my K&N filter!

I've been using a K&N filter on my cars for a long time, so I don't drive a lot of kilometres a year.

But I just read it, I share it here, https://moto.lexp.net/mw/index.php?title=ISO_5011_Duramax_Air_Filter_Test_Report&setlang=en

and I will immediately remove my (brand new) K&N and replace my original filter.

The K&N is the worst (or any other filter of this type), it lets a lot of dust pass through compared to a simple original filter.

Basically the K&N (or any other filter of this type) lets MORE air pass through yes, because it filters nothing (and in addition it clogs much faster also in case of dust)

On the K&N website they explain that they do a lot of tests, but do not show the results!

It's hard reality...

Sponsored

SwissSteph

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.swissjeepjl.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
...I also read a comment in a French forum (but without a link made available to the information source of a K&N video) where it seems that "K&N" explain that their filters are not good in tests (test benches), but that with the vibrations of an engine, they really filter!

What to think?

taram

First Name
Marat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dang, and I've just ordered 2 K&N filters after reading your first post about it :LOL: OK, i don't think it's THAT bad, and if there were so many problems - they would have a lot of problem already. Maybe there are better filters than K&N, but I don't think that they are too bad (at least I hope so)

SwissSteph

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.swissjeepjl.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry for my message that made you place an order :(

With my old Jeep (YJ) I had a conical K&N (direct intake) and never had a problem.
At least with the big 4 liters - 6 Inline. But it was an "old" engine with engineers who had planned "the old-fashioned way", so with a vision of quality that I doubt is still present today on our JLs, unfortunately.

If I look at my JL underneath, I see connectors everywhere, things that stick out, it's scary. Not to mention the very big problems (mentioned here on this site) of the totally horrible and unworthy welds of a legendary car manufacturer.

I bought my Jeep to keep it for a long time, and to be honest I'm really very afraid that many breakdowns will happen...

I will receive my AFE in a few days (I took the fastest delivery on the AFE website), I will see how it is and will come back here for my feedback.

PS: on the other hand, I keep my K&N for the filtration of the cabin air, I doubt that it could be worse than the original paper one ;)

taram

First Name
Marat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NO problems, I will try this K&N filter and see - I don't know how to estimate the efficiency of the filter by myself, but if it will be too clean after some time - that would definitely mean it's not actually filtering anything, IMO, and I will put back the OEM one.
As far as I know, the welding problems were known with the early production Jeeps, e.g. 2018 MY, is it still actual? I thought FCA has already fixed this on 2019-2020 models. Regarding the rest - oh well, this is a very specific car, and probably needs some different approach, yes. If its price was something 25%-30% less - all these issues would be fully fine with me :giggle:

SwissSteph

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.swissjeepjl.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I haven't dared to look at the welds on mine yet. I need to find motivation...
Sponsored