Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Rubicon, '10 Tahoe PPV, '04 Colorado ZQ8
Occupation
CySec Instructor at DC3
Vehicle Showcase
Here was my trip from outside of Baltimore to OBX in a nutshell.

Plenty of miles with the doors, freedom panels and rear hatch open; not to mention 5 days out in the sand.......I'm not mad at all.

IMG_20190825_171620.jpg

IMG_20190825_171624.jpg
Sponsored

Harleexl

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS 4xe Sting Gray
Occupation
Automotive
Stock 2019 Sport JLU Hardtop with LSD and 2.0L etorque nearing 3000 miles and always use regular grade gasoline with no issues.
I'm averaging 23-24mpg around town as long as I don't spend too much time on the freeway and I'm sure that would go up a couple more mpg if I could spend more time running under 60mph on back roads with less stops.
Driving highway over 70mph seems to knock my average back down in the 22-23 range. I also have roof rack with kayak carriers and I'm happy with these numbers, but Wrangler aerodynamics are definitely not working for us at highway speeds...

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
So to follow up, I reset the trip computer and calculated it just driving on the local freeway here going 65. Now, some hills and such so not entirely flat, but I am getting 15 mpg. Probably similar city though because of the Auto Stop/Start. But that's babying it... my guess is if I go low 70's (below 75) and don't baby it, it's probably 14. Overall I think it's about a drop of about 33% in fuel economy.

These Nitto MT's weigh 85 pounds (37x12.50R17) and they are on heavier beadlock wheels from AEV, so that's not entirely surprising. I'm running a 4" lift (2.5" on a Rubicon) and a Warn Zeon 10s winch, stock steel bumpers front/rear.

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
CySec Instructor at DC3
Vehicle Showcase
So to follow up, I reset the trip computer and calculated it just driving on the local freeway here going 65. Now, some hills and such so not entirely flat, but I am getting 15 mpg. Probably similar city though because of the Auto Stop/Start. But that's babying it... my guess is if I go low 70's (below 75) and don't baby it, it's probably 14. Overall I think it's about a drop of about 33% in fuel economy.

These Nitto MT's weigh 85 pounds (37x12.50R17) and they are on heavier beadlock wheels from AEV, so that's not entirely surprising. I'm running a 4" lift (2.5" on a Rubicon) and a Warn Zeon 10s winch, stock steel bumpers front/rear.
Have you reflashed the PCM for the increased tire size?

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have you reflashed the PCM for the increased tire size?
Yes, checked with speedo app too on iphone. These tires are heavy and MT's not AT's. plus winch weight and lift... I mean it's a little worse than I anticipated for sure, which is a bummer, but that's OK.

Sponsored

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
CySec Instructor at DC3
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, checked with speedo app too on iphone. These tires are heavy and MT's not AT's. plus winch weight and lift... I mean it's a little worse than I anticipated for sure, which is a bummer, but that's OK.
Fair enough. Yeah rotating mass like that is a bish.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fair enough. Yeah rotating mass like that is a bish.
Yeah, 85 pounds a tire plus the AEV beadlocks ( 40 pounds each w/ ring and hardware ). Stock wheels weigh 22 pounds and stock tires weigh 52 lb. So that's an increase from 74 pounds to 125 pounds, or getting close to double. Rotational weight... bad :) as you said. The KO2's weigh 15 pounds less... could have gone with a forged beadlock which sheds another 13 pounds. Is what it is.

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
CySec Instructor at DC3
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, 85 pounds a tire plus the AEV beadlocks ( 40 pounds each w/ ring and hardware ). Stock wheels weigh 22 pounds and stock tires weigh 52 lb. So that's an increase from 74 pounds to 125 pounds, or getting close to double. Rotational weight... bad :) as you said. The KO2's weigh 15 pounds less... could have gone with a forged beadlock which sheds another 13 pounds. Is what it is.
Forged would be nice, but only if you wanted to take out a second mortgage LOL

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forged would be nice, but only if you wanted to take out a second mortgage LOL
Eh, it's like $1100 more than the AEV's for a set of five. Not too terrible. I went with the AEV's because they follow DOT spec (no, they're not DOT approved) and keep me as inside as I can get to the fenders without rubbing (though I do need a rear trac bar to correct full droop). They also look awesome.

So things I did today as well:
- Added a pedal commander. Decent improvement! Need more seat time but it's noticeably more responsive now.
- Fox steering stabilizer (not the pass through one -- the $1XX one). Steering feel is way better. More feedback. But can be bad when you hit something really off. For instance, I went from unpaved highway that was being resurfaced to paved highway (about a 1" bump) at 55 and well, it was more jarring than before.

Also, I haven't aligned it yet either. No steering vibration, so balance on wheels I think is spot on (no, we didn't balance them! just mounted them even, torqued to 25 lb ft in proper pattern, and aired em up to 35). No TPMS issue either.

MPG is sitting around 15.8 right now, but I was going 60 ish on the highway because of construction, but 40% was also city driving. Have a feeling my city mpg will be ~17 and highway will be ~15. This was identical to how my JK was with heavy mud tires and beadlocks as well (before the V8 swap; now it's 5-6 irrespective of what you're doing).

Also, from a power perspective, it feels like stock. At slower speeds, it rides better than stock. At higher speeds (>60) you can tell it's on mud tires (tire noise -- but it's not bad by any means) as it's a bit less predictive as it has some bump steer. But again, no alignment done yet... could use some more caster I am sure and I doubt the factory alignment was perfect, which is now going to be WAY more noticeable with large tires.

And backup camera is more sensitive (more beeps) which seems odd.

YYCSahara

First Name
BDLL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 2.0T
Is anyone having trouble with the fuel trip resets? Trip A and B. When I reset mine, it will randomly revert to back to old trip distance after a shut down. I am referring to these screens.

Sponsored

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
Hmm... this thread has me wondering.

I’m in Canada, and am 3/4 the way through my second tank (91, no ethanol). I’ve driven 868 kms (539 miles) and am averaging (I think) about 14.8 l/100 kms (15.9 mpg). With the exception of the first 100 kms (which was around 12l, or 19.5 mpg), this is ALL city driving. Lots and lots of forgotten items at the grocery store (accidentally on purpose LOL). Picking up a friend to take them for coffee, and I’m also house sitting for about the last month... lots of stop and go. My city is fairly hilly but nothing too major (but there are definitely some ups and downs as hills are concerned).

This seems really low to me. Or maybe not? I checked the app and my oil life is at 90%... I expect that though.

2020 Sahara (no etorque), and in full time 4h auto (selec-track).

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara

I’m in Canada, and am 3/4 the way through my second tank (91, no ethanol). I’ve driven 868 kms (539 miles) and am averaging (I think) about 14.8 l/100 kms (15.9 mpg). With the exception of the first 100 kms (which was around 12l, or 19.5 mpg), this is ALL city driving. Lots and lots of forgotten items at the grocery store (accidentally on purpose LOL). Picking up a friend to take them for coffee, and I’m also house sitting for about the last month... lots of stop and go. My city is fairly hilly but nothing too major (but there are definitely some ups and downs as hills are concerned).

This seems really low to me. Or maybe not? I checked the app and my oil life is at 90%... I expect that though.

I think it’s too soon to tell. Short trips don’t help mileage. Stop and go isn’t good for mpg either. Mpg got steadily better and leveled out no later than 2k miles for my 2.0 JLUS hardtop w/factory 32” Dueler AT tires.

I’m almost finished with a road trip with 75% hwy and the rest in 3rd or 4th gear in the snow and hard packed Michigan UP back roads. I’m currently sitting at 25 mpg in my eTorque (benefits city mpg) 2.0L. It’s impressive.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Lots of stop and go will do that. I’m on (heavy) 37’s ( Nitto ) and beadlocks, lifted with steel bumpers and a winch. Stock gearing and averaging 17.5 mpg. Not much stop and go though and mostly in town. I keep it below 70 on the highway. 10k miles. My mileage has gone up significantly since the beginning and as my new tires wore in.

Before the tires I was at 22 mpg. In stop and go now my mpg drops to around 11-12 — similar mpg if I go over 70-75 or it gets windy.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know this, but I still thought it would be slightly better than it is. No? 15-16 mpg is normal for a Jeep this new? Stock tires. Slightly smaller, actually... the dealer screwed up.
Yes, normal w/ your driving. Should increase over time slightly, and winter gas doesn't help. Not sure how the dealer could screw up tires from the factory -- you switch to snow tires I assume since you're up in BC? Check tire pressures too.
Sponsored