StingJL918

First Name
Eduardo
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon 2.0 StingGray
Occupation
Burn ICU Nurse
My mpg has just been getting better and better as I put more miles the Jeep.
I’ve got 11,2XX miles. 2.0 Rubicon JLU with hardtop on 315/70/17 KO2’s. Got Black Rhino Fury wheels (pretty heavy). Dash reads 22.5mpg. GasBuddy app calculator is 20.7mpg.
Most I’ve got out of a tank was 415.1 miles. Couldn’t be happier.

Drive about 60 miles daily to work. 40% city 60% highway. Highway I try to keep it between 65-72mpg. Only pump premium gas from Costco.

054FE0D2-039D-4569-A56D-127DDE375EA7.jpeg

4D9EF3BE-65AE-4661-83A2-7519E9844B4F.png

Advertisement

BigGreen

First Name
Al
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
This last tank calculated to 20.44 mostly city below 50mph. Best yet. Computer said 22.2. I was able to run with the freedom tops off a bit, so AC wasn't running the whole time, AC seems to have a HUGE impact on mpg.

I'm looking forward to better weather to see what I can get out of this 2.0. It's already meeting expectations.
Next summer will be interesting too, see if I can break 20s when its 110 and AC blasting.

guarnibl

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Diesel, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (on order), 2009 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (crawler)
We'll see what happens when my 85 LB Nitto Trail Grapplers go on (37x12.50R17) with AEV Borah beadlocks on Saturday. Lol.

Ever since temps got hot and I can't take advantage of the auto start/stop (since it kills the AC and it's 117 out) my gas mileage has dropped to 21. Still not bad. 60/40 highway/city. I think if I would have gone with the 37" KO2's I probably would have been around ~19. However, these Nittos are heavy... I am thinking I'll be around 16-17. All of course including the 3.5" lift and front end caps coming off. Not planning on re-gearing.

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Rubicon, '10 Tahoe PPV, '04 Colorado ZQ8
Occupation
CySec Instructor at DC3
Vehicle Showcase
Here was my trip from outside of Baltimore to OBX in a nutshell.

Plenty of miles with the doors, freedom panels and rear hatch open; not to mention 5 days out in the sand.......I'm not mad at all.

IMG_20190825_171620.jpg

IMG_20190825_171624.jpg

Harleexl

First Name
Randy
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS 4xe Sting Gray
Occupation
Automotive
Stock 2019 Sport JLU Hardtop with LSD and 2.0L etorque nearing 3000 miles and always use regular grade gasoline with no issues.
I'm averaging 23-24mpg around town as long as I don't spend too much time on the freeway and I'm sure that would go up a couple more mpg if I could spend more time running under 60mph on back roads with less stops.
Driving highway over 70mph seems to knock my average back down in the 22-23 range. I also have roof rack with kayak carriers and I'm happy with these numbers, but Wrangler aerodynamics are definitely not working for us at highway speeds...

guarnibl

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Diesel, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (on order), 2009 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (crawler)
So to follow up, I reset the trip computer and calculated it just driving on the local freeway here going 65. Now, some hills and such so not entirely flat, but I am getting 15 mpg. Probably similar city though because of the Auto Stop/Start. But that's babying it... my guess is if I go low 70's (below 75) and don't baby it, it's probably 14. Overall I think it's about a drop of about 33% in fuel economy.

These Nitto MT's weigh 85 pounds (37x12.50R17) and they are on heavier beadlock wheels from AEV, so that's not entirely surprising. I'm running a 4" lift (2.5" on a Rubicon) and a Warn Zeon 10s winch, stock steel bumpers front/rear.

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
CySec Instructor at DC3
Vehicle Showcase
So to follow up, I reset the trip computer and calculated it just driving on the local freeway here going 65. Now, some hills and such so not entirely flat, but I am getting 15 mpg. Probably similar city though because of the Auto Stop/Start. But that's babying it... my guess is if I go low 70's (below 75) and don't baby it, it's probably 14. Overall I think it's about a drop of about 33% in fuel economy.

These Nitto MT's weigh 85 pounds (37x12.50R17) and they are on heavier beadlock wheels from AEV, so that's not entirely surprising. I'm running a 4" lift (2.5" on a Rubicon) and a Warn Zeon 10s winch, stock steel bumpers front/rear.
Have you reflashed the PCM for the increased tire size?

guarnibl

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have you reflashed the PCM for the increased tire size?
Yes, checked with speedo app too on iphone. These tires are heavy and MT's not AT's. plus winch weight and lift... I mean it's a little worse than I anticipated for sure, which is a bummer, but that's OK.

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
CySec Instructor at DC3
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, checked with speedo app too on iphone. These tires are heavy and MT's not AT's. plus winch weight and lift... I mean it's a little worse than I anticipated for sure, which is a bummer, but that's OK.
Fair enough. Yeah rotating mass like that is a bish.

guarnibl

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fair enough. Yeah rotating mass like that is a bish.
Yeah, 85 pounds a tire plus the AEV beadlocks ( 40 pounds each w/ ring and hardware ). Stock wheels weigh 22 pounds and stock tires weigh 52 lb. So that's an increase from 74 pounds to 125 pounds, or getting close to double. Rotational weight... bad :) as you said. The KO2's weigh 15 pounds less... could have gone with a forged beadlock which sheds another 13 pounds. Is what it is.

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
CySec Instructor at DC3
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, 85 pounds a tire plus the AEV beadlocks ( 40 pounds each w/ ring and hardware ). Stock wheels weigh 22 pounds and stock tires weigh 52 lb. So that's an increase from 74 pounds to 125 pounds, or getting close to double. Rotational weight... bad :) as you said. The KO2's weigh 15 pounds less... could have gone with a forged beadlock which sheds another 13 pounds. Is what it is.
Forged would be nice, but only if you wanted to take out a second mortgage LOL

guarnibl

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forged would be nice, but only if you wanted to take out a second mortgage LOL
Eh, it's like $1100 more than the AEV's for a set of five. Not too terrible. I went with the AEV's because they follow DOT spec (no, they're not DOT approved) and keep me as inside as I can get to the fenders without rubbing (though I do need a rear trac bar to correct full droop). They also look awesome.

So things I did today as well:
- Added a pedal commander. Decent improvement! Need more seat time but it's noticeably more responsive now.
- Fox steering stabilizer (not the pass through one -- the $1XX one). Steering feel is way better. More feedback. But can be bad when you hit something really off. For instance, I went from unpaved highway that was being resurfaced to paved highway (about a 1" bump) at 55 and well, it was more jarring than before.

Also, I haven't aligned it yet either. No steering vibration, so balance on wheels I think is spot on (no, we didn't balance them! just mounted them even, torqued to 25 lb ft in proper pattern, and aired em up to 35). No TPMS issue either.

MPG is sitting around 15.8 right now, but I was going 60 ish on the highway because of construction, but 40% was also city driving. Have a feeling my city mpg will be ~17 and highway will be ~15. This was identical to how my JK was with heavy mud tires and beadlocks as well (before the V8 swap; now it's 5-6 irrespective of what you're doing).

Also, from a power perspective, it feels like stock. At slower speeds, it rides better than stock. At higher speeds (>60) you can tell it's on mud tires (tire noise -- but it's not bad by any means) as it's a bit less predictive as it has some bump steer. But again, no alignment done yet... could use some more caster I am sure and I doubt the factory alignment was perfect, which is now going to be WAY more noticeable with large tires.

And backup camera is more sensitive (more beeps) which seems odd.

YYCSahara

First Name
BDLL
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 2.0T
Is anyone having trouble with the fuel trip resets? Trip A and B. When I reset mine, it will randomly revert to back to old trip distance after a shut down. I am referring to these screens.

Advertisement

Quadratec

Advertisement