Sponsored

Whistling 2.0 Turbo 2020

BertieBee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler
Hey all, brand new Jeep owner here, so be kind. Please. I’ve owned turbo cars my entire life and have never had one whistle like the Jeep. I’ve had my new baby two weeks, so I figure there will be a little breaking in. However, going down a hill today at 30mph, no foot on the gas, the whistling got significantly louder. Is this normal for other turbo owners?
Sponsored

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
I don’t know if it’s normal...but my 2020 Recon I picked up 6 weeks is like this also. Pretty loud when driving slow with the windows open. After listening to some exhaust vendor video, I believe it’s probably the way it’s made. My 2.0 runs great...exceeds expectations.

OP
OP
BertieBee

BertieBee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler
I don’t know if it’s normal...but my 2020 Recon I picked up 6 weeks is like this also. Pretty loud when driving slow with the windows open. After listening to some exhaust vendor video, I believe it’s probably the way it’s made. My 2.0 runs great...exceeds expectations.
I absolutely love mine. Just trying to figure out why so loud. I’m used to a whistling whirl, but not this.

Rom101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray Rubicon Recon
Hey all, brand new Jeep owner here, so be kind. Please. I’ve owned turbo cars my entire life and have never had one whistle like the Jeep. I’ve had my new baby two weeks, so I figure there will be a little breaking in. However, going down a hill today at 30mph, no foot on the gas, the whistling got significantly louder. Is this normal for other turbo owners?
Did you ever figure out if the whistling sound is normal or not? I have a 2020 rubicon recon and hearing the same whistling sounds.

Avar928

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 2.0 Sport S Granite
Take a sound clip. Mine whines when under load. She's loud. If I blip the throttle people will look..

Going down hill the transmission likely was downshifting, you'll maintain speed but be under heavier engine load - higher rpms.

Sponsored

OP
OP
BertieBee

BertieBee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler
Did you ever figure out if the whistling sound is normal or not? I have a 2020 rubicon recon and hearing the same whistling sounds.
I did not. However, it hasn’t changed or gotten worse, so I’m going to wait until my first service to ask about it. Once I ask I will reply and let you know.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
I was with another 2.0 turbo owner on a trail today. He does not have BSG. I could clearly hear his turbo but mine is louder than his...sounds like a super charger. That said, mine runs so good I’m not going to have the dealer touch it. Too many horror stories on this board with bad dealer experiencs.

OP
OP
BertieBee

BertieBee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler
I was with another 2.0 turbo owner on a trail today. He does not have BSG. I could clearly hear his turbo but mine is louder than his...sounds like a super charger. That said, mine runs so good I’m not going to have the dealer touch it. Too many horror stories on this board with bad dealer experiencs.
I had my own issue already at the dealer . So I asked a bunch of Jeepers in the area where they go. They all said the same dealership. So I’ll head there when I need to.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I have a '19 JLR 2.0T eTorque. Someone mentioned this before. It could be the eTorque regenerating. I hear a little noise when lifting off the gas pedal. Stops right away when I press on the gas pedal. Comes back when I lift. I'd say it's normal.

I absolutely love this turbo engine and eTorque. The start/stop is MUCH less noticeable. The extra torque is nice. Averaging 22-24 mpg lately. Not a single issue in 16 months of ownership.

OP
OP
BertieBee

BertieBee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler
I have a '19 JLR 2.0T eTorque. Someone mentioned this before. It could be the eTorque regenerating. I hear a little noise when lifting off the gas pedal. Stops right away when I press on the gas pedal. Comes back when I lift. I'd say it's normal.

I absolutely love this turbo engine and eTorque. The start/stop is MUCH less noticeable. The extra torque is nice. Averaging 22-24 mpg lately. Not a single issue in 16 months of ownership.
Agreed! I just wasn’t sure if it was normal. Last night I was outside and a JL went up the road, it has the same whistling sound, so I’m more inclined to think it is normal. I’ve heard this noise on all my other turbos, but only when turbo would engage. I have been able to get 29mpg on the highway with cruise control. I’m averaging 25-27mpg. I’m so freaking happy with this Jeep. Now I just need to get the doors off.

Sponsored

Bowser

First Name
Vishal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara, 2018 BMW M3, 2016 Honda Accord
Mine also whistles ( 2.0T eTorque ) from Day-1. I assume its normal & don't have a concern about it.
Sponsored