2.0 Engine Skid Plates

AZRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Unlimited
kool which one did you order? steel or the aluminum ? you have to post pix !!!!
its a great company and make great stuff , but again we have JLs so its all new
i so want to see pix
i have the hide away steps on the way from them will post pix when installed and finished
Steel! I will post full video and pics on my YouTube channel. Went out today and NAILED my stock tranny cross bar (skid) it did it's job but I need the real skids on now! If it were aluminium I would have been safe but man it'd be touching the tranny! :)

Last edited:

AZRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Unlimited
Steel! I will post full video and pics on my YouTube channel. Went out today and NAILED my stock tranny cross bar (skid) it did it's job but I need the real skids on now! If it were aluminium I would have been safe but man it'd be touching the tranny! :)
The Mountain Off Road skids are on! They are very nice indeed. We'll made, the guys at MORE are great. Here is a video of the install, took me 1.5 hours. Get a helper for some of the placement and bolts it's heavy stuff! It's very easy and fits like a glove.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2.0 Engine Skid Plates 20210121_201540

Jeep Wrangler JL 2.0 Engine Skid Plates 20210121_200938

Jeep Wrangler JL 2.0 Engine Skid Plates 20210121_200915

west tex

First Name
Skoro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2dr 80th Edition, 2017 Renegade Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired, as in "Tired again"
Maybe it's just me, but in looking online for 2.0L engine skid plates, it looks like very limited availability for 2dr models, but many more options for 4 dr. Anyone have a better view on this?

elf883

First Name
steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JlU
Occupation
stationary engineer
The Mountain Off Road skids are on! They are very nice indeed. We'll made, the guys at MORE are great. Here is a video of the install, took me 1.5 hours. Get a helper for some of the placement and bolts it's heavy stuff! It's very easy and fits like a glove.

realllly nice !!!!! thanks for the pix and video very good setup

Sponsored

AZRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Unlimited
realllly nice !!!!! thanks for the pix and video very good setup
Thanks! I add all my upgrades to the rig on my youTube channel. Latest is a steering stabilizer relo after I crushed it on some granite. The skids were fine, stabilizer ... not so much!

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Thanks for all the information everyone. It was very helpful in making a decision. I ordered and received my engine skid. I’ll put it on when I get a chance and eventually give some kind of feedback when it’s tested.

Last edited:

west tex

First Name
Skoro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2dr 80th Edition, 2017 Renegade Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired, as in "Tired again"
Does any domestic mfgr make a skid for the 2.0L 2dr? I see lots for the 4 dr, only ASFIR with aluminum for the 2dr.

elf883

First Name
steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JlU
Occupation
stationary engineer

FrostySerb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR/2017 Ram 2500 Mega-Cab LongHorn Cummins

This looks great, thanks for sharing this

Sponsored

AZRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Unlimited
i know dv8 makes one but not sure its for the 2.0 give them a call and find out
https://dv8offroad.com/collections/jeep-jl-skid-plates/products/spjl-04
other websites says it will fit - but i would call and ask
one thing though - u must drop it to change oil last i heard unless they added a door its one i know of out there now
https://mountainoffroad.com/collections/wrangler-jl
MORE makes them, I'd recommend the product for sure. easy install as you can see from my pics and YouTube video

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Someone mentioned wishing the hole to access the drain plug was larger on the Asfir because the stream of oil coming out initially wants to go above the skid making a mess. How much larger should the hole be you think? I can break out my carbide burrs and do just that.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
First, to each their own ... :)

I enjoyed reading this thread. From Rusty's to ASFIR was an interesting transition. Here is what you need to consider. There are advantages to both steel (strength) and aluminium (weight) when choosing.

If you look at @3VOLVE image above, the plate was hit and is bent/wrapped on the cross member of the frame. Look at @ASFIR4X4 and you see how it looks new. Aluminum will bend and literally stretch much more than steel ever will. If you are worried about weight ... you/we are driving a brick wall with wheels lol, the weight in terms of gas milage is negligible at best.

The aluminium looks great, I 100% agree, but you need to consider what you will be doing. Mud, trees, stumps, moderate wheeling the aluminium is just fine I am sure. In AZ where I am (& ASFIR4x4) we wheel on granite and everything else. My profile pic is an example of the rocks we go over and yes, crunch on. I have watched an ASFIR engine plate get slammed right up to the belly pan and the arms bend easily. I have also witnessed MetalCloak, Rusty's and others take massive beatings and no bends. Check out places like Ajax Mine and Highway to Hell trails in AZ. Aluminum, sure but they'll get seriously damaged, protect the undercarriage sure, but then you make the decision to remove and bend back which weakens any metal or replace.

For my use, I am going with full undercarriage Rusty's on my 2020 JLUR 2.0T - Full weight is 182lbs but I'll slide over the boulders with piece of mind every single time! :)
When it comes to weight, the larger factor is how it impacts your left over payload weight capacity. you’ve only got 892lbs to play with. I totally agree with you about fuel economy. Do people that are building true off roading rigs really care?

Anyways, i’m going with steel skid plates as well. I’ll be hitting the rocks a lot so superior protection is a priority.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I finally installed mine. If there wasn’t a video and the pics here, it would have taken a bit longer to visualize which holes were going to be utilized in the frame.

I sprayed the steel brackets and captured nut with a really good aluminum paint I found in the spray paint aisle at Lowe’s. Rustoleum Professional in an extra large spray can. It dries to the touch in 15 minutes so I don’t really have to watch paint dry when I’m trying to get a project done quickly.

Typically, I did have the most difficulty getting the driver bracket started. I got my daughter to help. She left before I realized, when I was about to fully tighten it, it was not positioned behind that motor mount bolt sticking down so I could tighten the bracket flush to the frame. After I removed the bolt and properly positioned the bracket, I found that on mine, the bracket would sorta wedge in place and mostly hold itself up while I realigned the bolt with the captured nut. It took only a couple of minutes this time.

I did one thing different. I did not want the rod to stay so i cut about half way through it so I could break it off when finished. I grabbed it with pliers and bent it up and down a few times and it broke off.

E6A7BA91-CB74-4637-A043-6273214EC40F.jpeg

1CC3FB8E-AE2D-4D53-84FE-BC702441B7FA.jpeg

966C0B4D-D7A0-49D0-8992-373F7032A678.jpeg
Sponsored