“Self adjusting speedometer” ??

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Def not going to. Makes me a bit concerned cause I wanted to have that mopar lift installed there to keep my warranty. Does it matter if I do it at a different dealer where I bought it from?
Nope, any dealer works. The warranty is with Jeep, not the local dealer.
Sponsored

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
I was told by 2 different jeep dealerships that jeep is planning on voiding warranties if you don't get their recalibration service. 140$ so when I bought my jeep I made them toss that in at no extra charge whenever I decided to upgrade my tires. If this turns out to be true tazer isn't going to help you since you want to unmarry before bringing it to dealer.

Personally I think its bullshit the stuff these dealers pull

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Dealers don’t get to decide what is warranty worthy and what isn’t, they aren’t smart enough to be trusted washing cars, much less working on them.

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
This mystery came from some people using smartphones to check speed, BUT They plugged their smartphone to JL and it actually picked up speed information from JL (with Carplay/And. Auto). So speedo and smartphone showed same MPH but not worth anything.

yell03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport
What did you recalibrate with? Taser?
I had a dealer recalibrate it.
I did not want to risk voiding my warranty.
One dealer had no clue and the dealer that did it kind of ripped me off for $273, but in the long run a few extra $$$ will be worth it.

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I've been rolling into the dealership for going on a year now on a lift and 35s and not one single time has anybody asked me if I calibrated my speedometer. Two oil changes and a handful of warranty repairs...not a word about the speedo.

However, using the Tazer to calibrate it is the best bet for several reasons.

I think the info about the "self calibrating speedometer" came from early launch press of the new JL last year, where it was stated that models equipped with 8.4" screen (and therefore GPS) could calibrate the speedometer to actual overland speed based on GPS signals. I don't have the 8.4" screen so I can't comment on if that is true or not.

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
Ask the parts manager about the self adjusting ride height, as well.
He said they will fill your tires with nitrogen and it will give you 2" lift. You can also pay $200 more for helium to boost it.

OP
OP
Freddiejeep

Freddiejeep

First Name
Freddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JLU 2.0
@DanW i read a thread where you chimes in on this. Any help/insight? Where did you end up?

Sponsored

Al13

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab
So I was at my dealer inquiring about 35 KO2’s - no lift JLUR. I asked if they could calibrate the speedometer afterward for me and he replied with: “no need, it will self calibrate up to 35’s. They always have.” Seems like a buncha horse shyit to me. Is this true?
Who was the dealer so I don’t go to them? I live in Franklin TN.

JxRYE

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 CJ-7 Renegade, 2019 Jeep Wrangler MOAB
I was told by 2 different jeep dealerships that jeep is planning on voiding warranties if you don't get their recalibration service. 140$ so when I bought my jeep I made them toss that in at no extra charge whenever I decided to upgrade my tires. If this turns out to be true tazer isn't going to help you since you want to unmarry before bringing it to dealer.

Personally I think its bullshit the stuff these dealers pull
My dealer told me they were not even able to re-calibrate. Dealers say whatever they want. Nice that you got it for free!

RMojitoJL

First Name
Skyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon *Mojito*, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude, 2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Occupation
Loan Officer
Vehicle Showcase
If you asked your service department and this was the answer you got, I hope you never go there to put air in your tires or oil change... let alone ANYTHING else. How stupid can the dealer be to think it would auto calibrate for any other size tire period?
FlashCal, Tazer JL Mini (My Choice), Dealer can def recalibrate... but clearly please use another dealer ;) tazer came with some other functional options so that was my choice, very easy install 2mins. Very easy to use. I also lowered my TPMS to 20psi as I run 28ish with my 37's and don't want to see the light 24/7

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
When I did it they had to create a service contract and it was $125. They can program in 1/2" tire increments. I had them do 34.5" for my KO2's and my speedo is now almost dead on (maybe 1/4 MPH off at 70).

OP
OP
Freddiejeep

Freddiejeep

First Name
Freddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JLU 2.0
My dealer told me they were not even able to re-calibrate. Dealers say whatever they want. Nice that you got it for free!
It’s so wild to me that a vehicle that everyone will probably mod - the dealers are so divided on this? Where’s the quality control on this? @JeepCares can you shed some light on this?
Sponsored