Wind noise - Jeep is looking into this

ered33

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited Sport
This is my issue. Horrible air leak coming through or around windshield. @JeepCares dealer can’t figure it out.

rboss is right on the money... more times than not had customers bring their car in pissed as hell demanding it be fixed asap. I would politely ask them if we could drive it together and every time I got it on the road 50mph + and started pushing out on the edges of the glass at some point it would quit. I would feign surprise, say I hadn't seen that before and go back to dealer. Upon getting out I would casually remark about the different name brand of the glass and that's when the light bulb went on... oh yeah I just had that replaced last week and ya know that's when it started. smh.. obviously this is a factory issue but it needs a reseal. it's a poor application of urethane when it was installed
Sponsored

alltimesaresoon

First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
fiat 124 spider abarth
i hadn't even made it past page 2 of this thread when i went out and tried this. then reading page 3 and 4 it seems like a match. i don't have a whistle, but i have loud wind noise, more on passenger side. As diagnostic, i used 3M no residue duct tape (can't find at Lowes but amazon shipped it to me in 1 day). first picture here of sealing around the windshield i noticed a difference. I then applied it mirror image on driver side and across full top (nothing on bottom for the moment).

80% reduction in windnoise estimated..... give it a try. .... think i'll now look for the gaps others have posted...

IMG_20190709_160103.jpg

IMG_20190709_163347.jpg

alltimesaresoon

First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
fiat 124 spider abarth
80% reduction had me singing along to 99 red balloons

alltimesaresoon

First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
fiat 124 spider abarth
The squealing noise is the air leak. Crazy right? I actually though it was coming from my speaker as noise interference or Bluetooth feedback but it is actually a leak. It happens randomly at speeds between 45-65 mph. Seems to happen more when there is a cross wind or I’m making a right turn.
you can actually see the windshield move in relation to the dash in sequence to the squeak

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
HVAC
My wind noise causes a buffeting pressure that makes me need to pop my ears over and over. It happens all the time and is sort of like a rear window is down. Yes I checked all the rubber etc. Anyone else fighting this?
We are fighting this right now. Just bought my wife a 2020 Rubicon last weekend and i cant stand to be in it because my ears hurt so bad. We have a baby due in 2 months and i need it fixed by then because all of our appointments are 2 hours away all on freeway!

Sponsored

Pappy11

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Sahara JL
Just got home from the dealer with same issue,,,bought a 2019 Sahara last week...tons of wind noise around 40-55 mph and they narrowed it down to the Windshield Seal....they are setting up an appointment with glass company to install a new one

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Just got home from the dealer with same issue,,,bought a 2019 Sahara last week...tons of wind noise around 40-55 mph and they narrowed it down to the Windshield Seal....they are setting up an appointment with glass company to install a new one
Hi Billy,
Please keep us updated on your dealer visit. If additional assistance is needed, our team is available via PM.
Alex
JeepCares

ChimpanZed

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon
Total anecdote: My father-in-law test drove a 2019 Moab. On the highway, he and the salesperson could barely hear each other. A few days later, while driving in my 2020 Rubicon on the highway, he commented about how quiet the Rubicon was compared to the Moab. I wonder if something changed between 2019 and 2020.

BrandonB00

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport S, 2006 Wrangler,
These Jeeps really have about the lowest level of QC I've ever seen. There are so many threads of different issues that are all related to how poorly they were put together or how poorly the parts are performing. At this point can anyone recommend one of these Wranglers to any of their friends? I can't believe that this many people are having wind noise issues with the FRONT WINDSHIELD. So many important points on these things being completely slopped together. Steering issues, Brakes and steering, Crappy Welds. Poorly installed windshields. That isn't even mentioning the electronic issues people are having on their options. Multiple radios not working, the garage door opener not working due to "operator error" come on Jeep.

cram501

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS Mojito! Moab
Total anecdote: My father-in-law test drove a 2019 Moab. On the highway, he and the salesperson could barely hear each other. A few days later, while driving in my 2020 Rubicon on the highway, he commented about how quiet the Rubicon was compared to the Moab. I wonder if something changed between 2019 and 2020.
The BFG KM2's found on the MOAB can be really loud at highway speed. If you have them over inflated (into the 40's as mine was when it was delivered), they scream.

Once I lowered mine to 35/36 the noise reduced quite a bit but the are still loud.

Sponsored

Pappy11

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Sahara JL
The Service tech said the main problem they had a service note on was the bottom of the windshield ..other places where they are seeing problems is the seal on the top passenger side freedom top where the drivers side lays on it...Mine was obviously coming in from the top on the drivers side. windshield .they took off the tops and checked everything cleaned the seal and took it back out..then it became a process of elimination...they broke out the painters tape and started sealing area's where they thought it was...they went up the drivers side and half way across the top of windshield and test drove it...he said it was completely gone...so he started inspecting the windshield seal...and found a couple areas on top they looked pinched and not right...so they contacted their class company and ordered a new OEM windshield and will have it installed when it comes in.. hopefully tomorrow ..I will let you know the outcome once it's done...

GT-Jim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Moab JL
Occupation
CAD Designer
The BFG KM2's found on the MOAB can be really loud at highway speed. If you have them over inflated (into the 40's as mine was when it was delivered), they scream.

Once I lowered mine to 35/36 the noise reduced quite a bit but the are still loud.
Yes, the KM2's are really loud. If you want to reduce wind noise just install these tires, you will not hear as much wind for sure.

Pappy11

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Sahara JL
Will Be Thursday Before I can Get The new Windshield and Seal Installed....Due to My Work Schedule...Will Let you Guys Know Then

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 2.0T Auto, 2019 JLUR V6 Manual (sold)
I've been struggling with this issue as well. Piercing loud wind noise that was hurting my ears, and preventing me from having any kind of conversation at all with my kids in the back seat while on the highway.

I tried all of the suggestions in this thread, such as taping along windshield, adjusting windshield, inspecting seals behind windshield, aligning freedom panels, etc. None of that helped.

In my case it turned out to be the little triangular plastic pieces next to the side mirrors. I put tape over the gaps around the edges and it was as quiet as a Mercedes Benz after that. Even my wife commented on how much quieter it was.

Sc2iiQe.jpg

Looks like wind is hitting that side mirror and being pushed into the gaps behind those little plastic triangles, and behind that triangle is a bunch of huge holes that let air rush into the door near the A-pillar.

I ended up putting silicon under it to seal it, and it worked great. Try it out!

AxrWDGJ.jpg

Warz2k4

First Name
RIC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
Has this worked for anyone else.
I wanna try this but would like to confirm this resolved issue for others before I pry it out
Sponsored