Wind noise - Jeep is looking into this

1. ered33

ered33 Member

First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Unlimited Sport
    Liked:
    rboss is right on the money... more times than not had customers bring their car in pissed as hell demanding it be fixed asap. I would politely ask them if we could drive it together and every time I got it on the road 50mph + and started pushing out on the edges of the glass at some point it would quit. I would feign surprise, say I hadn't seen that before and go back to dealer. Upon getting out I would casually remark about the different name brand of the glass and that's when the light bulb went on... oh yeah I just had that replaced last week and ya know that's when it started. smh.. obviously this is a factory issue but it needs a reseal. it's a poor application of urethane when it was installed

2. alltimesaresoon

alltimesaresoon Well-Known Member

First Name:
    dave
    Vehicle(s):
    fiat 124 spider abarth
    Liked:
    i hadn't even made it past page 2 of this thread when i went out and tried this. then reading page 3 and 4 it seems like a match. i don't have a whistle, but i have loud wind noise, more on passenger side. As diagnostic, i used 3M no residue duct tape (can't find at Lowes but amazon shipped it to me in 1 day). first picture here of sealing around the windshield i noticed a difference. I then applied it mirror image on driver side and across full top (nothing on bottom for the moment).

80% reduction in windnoise estimated..... give it a try. .... think i'll now look for the gaps others have posted...

IMG_20190709_160103.jpg

IMG_20190709_163347.jpg

3. alltimesaresoon

First Name:
    dave
    Vehicle(s):
    fiat 124 spider abarth
    Liked:
    80% reduction had me singing along to 99 red balloons

4. alltimesaresoon

First Name:
    dave
    Vehicle(s):
    fiat 124 spider abarth
    Liked:
    you can actually see the windshield move in relation to the dash in sequence to the squeak

5. Ferreefamilyjeepin

Ferreefamilyjeepin New Member

First Name:
    Kyle
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
    Liked:
    We are fighting this right now. Just bought my wife a 2020 Rubicon last weekend and i cant stand to be in it because my ears hurt so bad. We have a baby due in 2 months and i need it fixed by then because all of our appointments are 2 hours away all on freeway!

6. Pappy11

Pappy11 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Billy
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Jeep Sahara JL
    Liked:
    Just got home from the dealer with same issue,,,bought a 2019 Sahara last week...tons of wind noise around 40-55 mph and they narrowed it down to the Windshield Seal....they are setting up an appointment with glass company to install a new one

7. JeepCares

JeepCares Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    JL
    Liked:
    Hi Billy,
    Please keep us updated on your dealer visit. If additional assistance is needed, our team is available via PM.
    Alex
    JeepCares

8. ChimpanZed

ChimpanZed Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Aaron
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 Unlimited Rubicon
    Liked:
    Total anecdote: My father-in-law test drove a 2019 Moab. On the highway, he and the salesperson could barely hear each other. A few days later, while driving in my 2020 Rubicon on the highway, he commented about how quiet the Rubicon was compared to the Moab. I wonder if something changed between 2019 and 2020.

9. BrandonB00

BrandonB00 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 JL Sport S, 2006 Wrangler,
    Liked:
    These Jeeps really have about the lowest level of QC I've ever seen. There are so many threads of different issues that are all related to how poorly they were put together or how poorly the parts are performing. At this point can anyone recommend one of these Wranglers to any of their friends? I can't believe that this many people are having wind noise issues with the FRONT WINDSHIELD. So many important points on these things being completely slopped together. Steering issues, Brakes and steering, Crappy Welds. Poorly installed windshields. That isn't even mentioning the electronic issues people are having on their options. Multiple radios not working, the garage door opener not working due to "operator error" come on Jeep.

cm88_bruins and df007 like this.
  10. cram501

cram501 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 JLUS Mojito! Moab
    Liked:
    The BFG KM2's found on the MOAB can be really loud at highway speed. If you have them over inflated (into the 40's as mine was when it was delivered), they scream.

Once I lowered mine to 35/36 the noise reduced quite a bit but the are still loud.

11. Pappy11

First Name:
    Billy
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Jeep Sahara JL
    Liked:
    The Service tech said the main problem they had a service note on was the bottom of the windshield ..other places where they are seeing problems is the seal on the top passenger side freedom top where the drivers side lays on it...Mine was obviously coming in from the top on the drivers side. windshield .they took off the tops and checked everything cleaned the seal and took it back out..then it became a process of elimination...they broke out the painters tape and started sealing area's where they thought it was...they went up the drivers side and half way across the top of windshield and test drove it...he said it was completely gone...so he started inspecting the windshield seal...and found a couple areas on top they looked pinched and not right...so they contacted their class company and ordered a new OEM windshield and will have it installed when it comes in.. hopefully tomorrow ..I will let you know the outcome once it's done...

cm88_bruins likes this.
  12. GT-Jim

GT-Jim Member

First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Jeep Moab JL
    Liked:
    Yes, the KM2's are really loud. If you want to reduce wind noise just install these tires, you will not hear as much wind for sure.

13. Pappy11

First Name:
    Billy
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Jeep Sahara JL
    Liked:
    Will Be Thursday Before I can Get The new Windshield and Seal Installed....Due to My Work Schedule...Will Let you Guys Know Then

cm88_bruins likes this.
  14. unsavory

unsavory Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Jimmy
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 JLUR, 2008 Toyo FJ Cruiser, 2014 Acura MDX
    Liked:
    I've been struggling with this issue as well. Piercing loud wind noise that was hurting my ears, and preventing me from having any kind of conversation at all with my kids in the back seat while on the highway.

I tried all of the suggestions in this thread, such as taping along windshield, adjusting windshield, inspecting seals behind windshield, aligning freedom panels, etc. None of that helped.

In my case it turned out to be the little triangular plastic pieces next to the side mirrors. I put tape over the gaps around the edges and it was as quiet as a Mercedes Benz after that. Even my wife commented on how much quieter it was.

Sc2iiQe.jpg

Looks like wind is hitting that side mirror and being pushed into the gaps behind those little plastic triangles, and behind that triangle is a bunch of huge holes that let air rush into the door near the A-pillar.

I ended up putting silicon under it to seal it, and it worked great. Try it out!

AxrWDGJ.jpg

15. rickytam

rickytam Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Ricky
    Vehicle(s):
    n/a
    Liked:
    Has this worked for anyone else.
    I wanna try this but would like to confirm this resolved issue for others before I pry it out