First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Has this worked for anyone else.
I wanna try this but would like to confirm this resolved issue for others before I pry it out
You could try taping it first. I'm goint to give this one a shot hopefully this weekend. Mine isn't horrible but still a lot of noise around the door.
Sponsored

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 2.0T Auto, 2019 JLUR V6 Manual (sold)
Yeah, that's exactly what I did first. Just put tape around all the seams before you go through the trouble of prying it out. You'll know pretty quick if this resolves the noise issue or not. Electrical tape works well because it's easy to remove after, with no residue.

Pappy11

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Sahara JL
Well went to the dealership Thurs. morning..8:30 Appointment for the new windshield ..of course the glass guy was not there...they called he will be here at 10 am...of course 10am rolls around and no show...so at 11:30 he makes it...gets everything ready and takes the new windshield out of the protective wrapper and there is a huge scratch down it....can't install...now they are saying 3 weeks before they can get another windshield...which I don't understand..frustrated would be a good term...LOL but at least with older age I have learned some patience...sorta

Steveo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Wrangler JLUR, '23 F150 Rattler
Occupation
Retired Code Monkey
I've been struggling with this issue as well. Piercing loud wind noise that was hurting my ears, and preventing me from having any kind of conversation at all with my kids in the back seat while on the highway.

I tried all of the suggestions in this thread, such as taping along windshield, adjusting windshield, inspecting seals behind windshield, aligning freedom panels, etc. None of that helped.

In my case it turned out to be the little triangular plastic pieces next to the side mirrors. I put tape over the gaps around the edges and it was as quiet as a Mercedes Benz after that. Even my wife commented on how much quieter it was.

Sc2iiQe.jpg

Looks like wind is hitting that side mirror and being pushed into the gaps behind those little plastic triangles, and behind that triangle is a bunch of huge holes that let air rush into the door near the A-pillar.

I ended up putting silicon under it to seal it, and it worked great. Try it out!

AxrWDGJ.jpg
I just tried your tape-test on a Gladiator loaner I have (RAM 1500 broke down.) and it worked great. What kind of silicon is that and did you let it harden before installing?

My wrangler has the same noise (sounds like radio static crackle to my ear.) 'cept the Gladiator is far worse. I even had it in the dealer soon after I bought it in 2018. They had it for a week and ended up replacing the driver door window seal but the problem persisted. I'm fairly certain that your fix will take care of the Wrangler as well.

Thanks for the info.

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just tried your tape-test on a Gladiator loaner I have (RAM 1500 broke down.) and it worked great. What kind of silicon is that and did you let it harden before installing?

My wrangler has the same noise (sounds like radio static crackle to my ear.) 'cept the Gladiator is far worse. I even had it in the dealer soon after I bought it in 2018. They had it for a week and ended up replacing the driver door window seal but the problem persisted. I'm fairly certain that your fix will take care of the Wrangler as well.

Thanks for the info.
Glad to hear it made a difference for you.

I would be surprised if it doesn't help just about everyone. Because there was nothing defective about the part, from what I could see. It's just a bad design, and I suspect almost all Wranglers are affected by this, and maybe some people just don't notice it or think it's normal.

I just used clear 100% silicone. No, I did not let it dry. I basically installed the piece back into place with it wet, and wiped off any excess around the edges that may appear. Easy peasy.

Sponsored

Steveo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Wrangler JLUR, '23 F150 Rattler
Occupation
Retired Code Monkey
Glad to hear it made a difference for you.

I would be surprised if it doesn't help just about everyone. Because there was nothing defective about the part, from what I could see. It's just a bad design, and I suspect almost all Wranglers are affected by this, and maybe some people just don't notice it or think it's normal.

I just used clear 100% silicone. No, I did not let it dry. I basically installed the piece back into place with it wet, and wiped off any excess around the edges that may appear. Easy peasy.
Thanks. I'm going to give the silicon a go this weekend.

Pappy11

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Sahara JL
Update....the dealer replaced my windshield a few weeks ago...installed a OEM one...did not fix my problem,,,took it back last Friday...the mechanic checked it over did some drives with tape on the windshield and ...took it up to their accessories install shop...he came back and said after doing an cabin pressure build up and then sprayed water on the freedom top seals they found bubbles...what all of this involved I have no Idea...and then he said they removed the tops and inspected them and determined that the problem was the tops...and they ordered a new set for the Jeep...so once they come in we will see....fingers crossed

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Update....the dealer replaced my windshield a few weeks ago...installed a OEM one...did not fix my problem,,,took it back last Friday...the mechanic checked it over did some drives with tape on the windshield and ...took it up to their accessories install shop...he came back and said after doing an cabin pressure build up and then sprayed water on the freedom top seals they found bubbles...what all of this involved I have no Idea...and then he said they removed the tops and inspected them and determined that the problem was the tops...and they ordered a new set for the Jeep...so once they come in we will see....fingers crossed
Hi Pappy11,
We certainly hope to hear that a new top resolves this for you! If you have any additional questions in the future regarding your vehicle, don't hesitate to reach out to our team here.

Kathryn
JeepCares

Pappy11

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Sahara JL
Hi Pappy11,
We certainly hope to hear that a new top resolves this for you! If you have any additional questions in the future regarding your vehicle, don't hesitate to reach out to our team here.

Kathryn
JeepCares
New Tops Installed today....Still Not 100% gone...service tech said some noise is coming off the side mirrors ...which I find strange..but it is better...and still at times you can still hear the whistle noise coming in...so I am not really sure what my next step should be...

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
New Tops Installed today....Still Not 100% gone...service tech said some noise is coming off the side mirrors ...which I find strange..but it is better...and still at times you can still hear the whistle noise coming in...so I am not really sure what my next step should be...
Thanks for the follow up, Pappy11. I understand why this might be frustrating. If you are still looking for a further resolution, I recommend having a second dealer take a look at your vehicle.
Follow up with us in PMs if you have further questions.

Kathryn
JeepCares

Sponsored

Mr_Cras

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 2dr JK/ 2018 4dr JL.
Hey pappy11, I'm having this issue as well and I had laid my front window down and notice dirt coming through what I believe is called the cowl seal. I have had two run ins with the dealers over this with no success. I have an appointment coming up and i am going to bring this up with them.

20200131_083309.jpg

Pappy11

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Sahara JL
Hey pappy11, I'm having this issue as well and I had laid my front window down and notice dirt coming through what I believe is called the cowl seal. I have had two run ins with the dealers over this with no success. I have an appointment coming up and i am going to bring this up with them.

20200131_083309.jpg
I see what your saying...could be...I need to lay mine down also...and check...they were sure it was coming in from the windshield...and they replaced it...it changed it...so then he said it was coming in through the freedom tops they ordered and installed a new set...I still hear a whistle between 30 to 45...and just loud wind noise at higher speeds...crazy...I need to do what you have done...I only have about 5k left on my factory warranty and need to get this resolved once and for all...

Pappy11

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Sahara JL
Thanks for the follow up, Pappy11. I understand why this might be frustrating. If you are still looking for a further resolution, I recommend having a second dealer take a look at your vehicle.
Follow up with us in PMs if you have further questions.

Kathryn
JeepCares
Yea may be my next option....only 5k miles left on factory warranty and this needs to be fixed....

Mr_Cras

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 2dr JK/ 2018 4dr JL.
Yea may be my next option....only 5k miles left on factory warranty and this needs to be fixed....
Just got back from my dealership, they have essentially refused to fix the issue. Iv done most of the work for them as far as narrowing it down and they said "sorry if already heard the wind noise, it's normal." I guess I'll have to spend my own money and time on fixing this issue. Unfortunately.

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have you tried taping over the triangle pieces near the side mirrors?
Sponsored