Sponsored

Best battery tender

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-A Benz-A Porsche-M Subie-M
Does anyone know if connecting a Battery Tender to the positive and negative terminals on the main battery keep both batteries charged? Or do you need to isolate the auxiliary battery to charge it? I have a 3.6 engine with ESS.
Can charge both at the same time but best practice is to disconnect ESS negative and charge/desulphate separately as needed. See link below for more info.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...battery-consolidated-information.25377/page-6
Sponsored

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Okay, instructions say it should toggle between solid and flashing green. Solid when topped off and flashing when it toggles back to a charge. I have tried it on my wife's car and it's never solid on hers either. If yours is the same guessing the logic changed and the instructions did not. Guess i could call noco and find out.
All our 7200s go solid green when finished charging and flash when nearing a full charge. Def reach out to NOCO chat directly as they provided me great support info regarding how to best charge these AGM batteries of different amp-hr capacity. FCA tech support via dealer had very little info but to simply say disconnect as per the owner’s manual instructions. Once I pointed them in the right direction, they suggested that each battery should be charged separately. FCA unfortunately has not provided any “official” written response to customers how to charge these batteries at all.

OP
OP
sobeit69

sobeit69

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JK Freedom Ed. 2005 Hummer H2 SUT
Okay, instructions say it should toggle between solid and flashing green. Solid when topped off and flashing when it toggles back to a charge. I have tried it on my wife's car and it's never solid on hers either. If yours is the same guessing the logic changed and the instructions did not. Guess i could call noco and find out.
All I know is on my jeep it charged to green over night and was solid. The next day it slow flashed green.
A week later I did notice it went to a solid green but later that night back to slow flash

On my Camaro it took like 3 days and went from 25% up to 100%....then back to 50 / 75%.
Finally after about 5 days it alternates from solid green to slow flash.
The Camaro also was not started for a least a month.

I bought 2 of these from woot....

After I saw how nice the first one was and looked almost like the unit Corvette sells.
I also used the Cig light adapter on jeep $13 on amazon and plugged it into rear Jack because that outlets was always like and had a lightening bolt symbol on it...unlike the front seat or passenger seats that I believe power down after jeep is off for 15 min

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
All our 7200s go solid green when finished charging and flash when nearing a full charge. Def reach out to NOCO chat directly as they provided me great support info regarding how to best charge these AGM batteries of different amp-hr capacity. FCA tech support via dealer had very little info but to simply say disconnect as per the owner’s manual instructions. Once I pointed them in the right direction, they suggested that each battery should be charged separately. FCA unfortunately has not provided any “official” written response to customers how to charge these batteries at all.
So do you separate the jeep batteries when charging with your NOCO? Does that lead to a solid green light?

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
All I know is on my jeep it charged to green over night and was solid. The next day it slow flashed green.
A week later I did notice it went to a solid green but later that night back to slow flash

On my Camaro it took like 3 days and went from 25% up to 100%....then back to 50 / 75%.
Finally after about 5 days it alternates from solid green to slow flash.
The Camaro also was not started for a least a month.

I bought 2 of these from woot....

After I saw how nice the first one was and looked almost like the unit Corvette sells.
I also used the Cig light adapter on jeep $13 on amazon and plugged it into rear Jack because that outlets was always like and had a lightening bolt symbol on it...unlike the front seat or passenger seats that I believe power down after jeep is off for 15 min

Sounds like yours is operating normal. I have suspected my battery has a bad cell for some time now.

Sponsored

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So do you separate the jeep batteries when charging with your NOCO? Does that lead to a solid green light?
Yep. Before charging check each battery voltage with your multimeter to confirm separation. As noted am bringing mine in next week to be tested by a dealer. Just bought this JL a month ago so probs the previous owner never maintained these batteries.

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
Yep. Before charging check each battery voltage with your multimeter to confirm separation. As noted am bringing mine in next week to be tested by a dealer. Just bought this JL a month ago so probs the previous owner never maintained these batteries.
Yeah mine is going in tomorrow to be tested.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Hey Guys:

Silly question. Can an energized battery tender than plugs into the cigarette lighter in the dash push current into the battery even though current from the battery to this cigarette lighter is cut off after the rig is powered down?

(Guess current can flow towards but not away from battery with the rig off here.)

Thanks.

Oh--I have an under the hood Deltran with its AC/Plug coming out in front by the grille to make connection to A/C shore current easy.

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Guys:

Silly question. Can an energized battery tender than plugs into the cigarette lighter in the dash push current into the battery even though current from the battery to this cigarette lighter is cut off after the rig is powered down?

(Guess current can flow towards but not away from battery with the rig off here.)

Thanks.

Oh--I have an under the hood Deltran with its AC/Plug coming out in front by the grille to make connection to A/C shore current easy.
Oh all the fancy computers in JL do not like that idea.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Can charge both at the same time but best practice is to disconnect ESS negative and charge/desulphate separately as needed. See link below for more info.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...battery-consolidated-information.25377/page-6
Interesting...and yet when the 3.6L is not in ESS mode the batteries are in parallel, engine on or rig parked and shut off.

And with the engine running, aren't the batteries connected in parallel and being charged by the alternator...?

I guess @BRuby your link is to what's best, not what always happens from the factory.

Thanks.

Sponsored

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Interesting...and yet when the 3.6L is not in ESS mode the batteries are in parallel, engine on or rig parked and shut off.

And with the engine running, aren't the batteries connected in parallel and being charged by the alternator...?

I guess @BRuby your link is to what's best, not what always happens from the factory.

Thanks.
Yep. Could be this is the very reason why certain AGM batteries have been reported to be failing using the xtg JL dual battery system. Different amp-hr batteries should simply not be hooked up in parallel. Would likely have been better to use the same size and type amp-hr batteries hooked up in the existing start battery tray location but modified and discard the aux battery location.

Something like this in the vid below but OEM designed and tested might have been a better solution. As well the batteries should be perfectly balanced ie. pos lead one batt to neg lead other batt when charging. Probs the small xtg aux battery is a less expensive factory solution but not as well thought out as it could have and should have been. If both batteries were the same size etc you would be able to charge up and maintain without over or undercharging - all the while staying connected using ring terminals vs temp spring clamps.

Last edited:

Springtail

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1977 FJ40, (RestoMod), 2018 Camaro SS Convertible, 2020 Tesla Model Y Performance
Occupation
Co-Owner Springtail LLC
I have 7 vehicles, Two zero turn mowers, a tractor and an electric start dirt bike with a lithium battery (requires a special battery tender)

Deltran Battery Tender all the way

I had one battery last 9 years reliably.

Doc

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
Got mine at the dealer now, battery test takes 3hrs to complete. They are also doing a software update. From what i have read these batteries have a pretty high failure rate.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Elvis never was loyal to one brand, but loved his tender.;)