Sponsored

Best battery tender

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Do get a well known, state of the art, battery tender and not crapola....

Any brand battery tender can chitt the bed..... What matters is will the brand cover it under warranty and replace it.... or will they be ghosts or say.....

Over the years. I have had many Deltran Battery Tenders. I had one fail in say 25 years and Deltran replaced it even though it's warranty had ended years before.. They replaced it it with a brand new unit and even gave me a Battery Tender quick disconnect cable and a Deltran Battery Tender tee shirt... If you live near Deland, Florida, (minutes from Daytona Raceway) you can walk into their offices any day M-F and they will help you on the spot... or of course call them..
Sponsored

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
I've been using 3-YUASA 1amp MAINTAINERS for over 6 years and they are very dependable and do a GREAT JOB !

W.E.

JIMBO

James_a

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 2018 JLU Rubicon
I need a little help from the community. My 2018 JLUR V6 battery is dead. I have a NOCO g3500 and would like to hook it up. However I need to confirm the battery type so that I set it correctly. I've read here and a few other places searching the web that it is an AGM battery. However to confirm I called the dealership where I bought my Jeep, had a bit of a run around, and then was told they believe it is a Gel battery... The 3500 has one setting for gel and one for AGM I was told by NOCO to not set it for AGM unless your absolutely certain. Can someone please confirm. Is it AGM or gel?

Also for those using the G3500 should I put it in repair mode?

Any help would be very appreciated

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I need a little help from the community. My 2018 JLUR V6 battery is dead. I have a NOCO g3500 and would like to hook it up. However I need to confirm the battery type so that I set it correctly. I've read here and a few other places searching the web that it is an AGM battery. However to confirm I called the dealership where I bought my Jeep, had a bit of a run around, and then was told they believe it is a Gel battery... The 3500 has one setting for gel and one for AGM I was told by NOCO to not set it for AGM unless your absolutely certain. Can someone please confirm. Is it AGM or gel?

@James_a

Careful.... your 3.6, JL has 2 batteries.

A Main and an Aux battery and they are both differently rated batteries.

The Main is right there where you can easily see it...... and the little Aux battery is stashed/hidden/out of sight, directly under the Power Distribution Center (PDC) in the engine compartment.

Do NOT use a repair mode or a full charge mode unless you separate out the two batteries and charge them individually.

Yes, no problem hooking up to the Main batteries, POS and NEG, with a regular battery tender/maintainer, type unit or similar. Do this and you will charge up both batteries, slowly, at the same time and not risk damage..

Anyway, do your homework, by reading on the forum before you proceed!

James_a

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@James_a

Careful.... your 3.6, JL has 2 batteries.

A Main and an Aux battery and they are both differently rated batteries.

The Main is right there where you can easily see it...... and the little Aux battery is stashed/hidden/out of sight, directly under the Power Distribution Center (PDC) in the engine compartment.

Do NOT use a repair mode or a full charge mode unless you separate out the two batteries and charge them individually.

Yes, no problem hooking up to the Main batteries, POS and NEG, with a regular battery tender/maintainer, type unit or similar. Do this and you will charge up both batteries, slowly, at the same time and not risk damage..

Anyway, do your homework, by reading on the forum before you proceed!
@Rhinebeck01
Thanks for the response! I will definitely avoid selecting repair and will do some more research.

I did do a little deeper search and found that both batteries from a 2019 are AGM. Can anyone confirm for 2018? The answer I had from the dealership saying they were Gel really confused me...

Sponsored

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler

To Rhinebeck's thought, when you say you have a dead battery, does, for example (assuming you have a 3.6L) electrical get to many of the rig's components but it just won't crank? That can be a sign of a dead Aux battery.

Better still, when was the last time your rig was flashed?

Older JLs (2018) not recently flashed will not crank if their secondary battery lacks sufficient power, even if their main battery has a full charge.

Newer JLs and those which have been flashed by dealers recently seem to crank if either battery has sufficient power. FCA seems to have made this logic change (because the initial design of no Aux battery power no cold crank was silly.)

If you temporarily disconnect all wires to the main battery's negative post and have a battery meter you can test the main battery by putting that meter's posts on the main battery's terminals thereafter.

Switch the negative prong of a tester to the dangling wires you just detached from the main battery's negative post and that is the Aux battery reading. Don't forget to re-hook up those dangling wires to the negative post of the main battery thereafter.

James_a

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
To Rhinebeck's thought, when you say you have a dead battery, does, for example (assuming you have a 3.6L) electrical get to many of the rig's components but it just won't crank?

Better still, when was the last time your rig was flashed?

Older JLs (2018) not recently flashed will not crank if their secondary battery lacks sufficient power, even if their main battery has a full charge.

Newer JLs and those which have been flashed by dealers recently seem to crank if either battery has sufficient power. FCA seems to have made this logic change (because the initial design of no Aux battery power no cold crank was silly.)

If you temporarily disconnect all wires to the main battery's post and have a battery meter you can test the main battery by putting that meter's posts on the main battery's terminals thereafter.

Switch the negative prong of a tester to the dangling wires you just detached from the main battery's negative post and that is the Aux battery reading. Don't forget to re-hook up those dangling wires to the negative post of the main battery thereafter.
Over the last several days I've been doing work to my rig, Added a Midland MXT400, USB power ports and a switch pro SP9100. Stopping and starting due to work etc... So the vehicle has not run for a good while. I tested the switch pro after install and had no issues. I finally buttoned up the power for the radio and usb ports both to Aux wiring and went to test just setting the vehicle to aux power and my dash started flashing, wipers started moving etc and I could not get it to shutoff... Everything seemed to be very weak... I disconnected the negative terminals and let it sit for awhile then reconnected. Now the FOB doesn't unlock the doors. I'm avoiding trying to start it... I'm assuming/hoping I just drained the battery

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
@Rhinebeck01
Thanks for the response! I will definitely avoid selecting repair and will do some more research.

I did do a little deeper search and found that both batteries from a 2019 are AGM. Can anyone confirm for 2018? The answer I had from the dealership saying they were Gel really confused me...
Don't know. Worse case? If you figure out what the main battery type is (and you have a 3.6L) just disconnect all the wires to its negative post, charge that main battery at its posts, and reconnect those wires back to the main battery's negative post.

A 3.6L JL has both batteries hooked up in parallel all the time but during ESS events and an instant during cold crank--this parallel connection includes while the rigs at rest....so once charged, the main battery can charge the Aux one, provided it isn't defective, once those wires are placed back on the main battery's negative post.

James_a

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don't know. Worse case? If you figure out what the main battery type is (and you have a 3.6L) just disconnect all the wires to its negative post, charge that main battery at its posts, and reconnect those wires back to the main battery's negative post.

A 3.6L JL has both batteries hooked up in parallel all the time but during ESS events and an instant during cold crank--this parallel connection includes while the rigs at rest....so once charged, the main battery can charge the Aux one, provided it isn't defective, once those wires are placed back on the main battery's negative post.
Thanks Andy I'll give that a shot. Now I just need to confirm that its an AGM...

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Over the last several days I've been doing work to my rig, Added a Midland MXT400, USB power ports and a switch pro SP9100. Stopping and starting due to work etc... So the vehicle has not run for a good while. I tested the switch pro after install and had no issues. I finally buttoned up the power for the radio and usb ports both to Aux wiring and went to test just setting the vehicle to aux power and my dash started flashing, wipers started moving etc and I could not get it to shutoff... Everything seemed to be very weak... I disconnected the negative terminals and let it sit for awhile then reconnected. Now the FOB doesn't unlock the doors. I'm avoiding trying to start it... I'm assuming/hoping I just drained the battery
James, its been a while since I looked at the schematics. @Jebiruph is the man on this stuff.

I would not be surprised to find (although I could be entirely wrong) that FOB communications in the rig gets its power from the Aux battery.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/jeep-jl-wrangler-wiring-diagrams.19185/

Sponsored

foxswimmer

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR, '04 Mazda3, '13 Sienna (because kids)
Thanks Andy I'll give that a shot. Now I just need to confirm that its an AGM...
Take a peek at your battery but this is what mine looks like on my 2020 JLUR with the tow package. Part number BBH7A001AA, and you can see 'AGM' in the upper right of the battery label.

Jeep Wrangler JL Best battery tender IMG-5702

James_a

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks everyone! I was able to get the cover up just enough to see the part number and confirm it was AGM.
Sponsored