Ezun

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
Vehicle Showcase
Perfect. Took me a while on the first one, I think it looks pretty good. I’m going to move on to doing more of them now.... might take a bit of time.
Ok, knocked out some of them yesterday..... passenger side of the jeep done. I think I'll get the rest done this week.
Sponsored

ALEX-4LO

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2020 JLUR - Project JL's
I ripped all mine out. After almost a year. I could no longer look at the door hinges with mud and dirt particles in the bubbles. The whole jeep looked white and door hinges looked like SH** , nah. Its ok if you do it perfect and have no bubbles or creases. But not worth it in the long run just get touch up paint.

Ezun

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
Vehicle Showcase
I ripped all mine out. After almost a year. I could no longer look at the door hinges with mud and dirt particles in the bubbles. The whole jeep looked white and door hinges looked like SH** , nah. Its ok if you do it perfect and have no bubbles or creases. But not worth it in the long run just get touch up paint.
Yep - to each his own.

Ezun

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
Vehicle Showcase
@R 3 - Just finished installing my hinge protection and created an install video:

They look great. I can't imagine trying to cut the film to fit after seeing the cuts in these laser cut ones.

Install takes just under 15 minutes per hinge.

GeneralRizzo

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Hey R3,

I ordered the JKU door sill guards. Tried install today and pretty sure the left rear driver is ruined. It may be salvageable. Put the rest on hold. Are the designed to protect the top of the door sills? I couldn’t get it to cooperate, nor could I find an install vid or much info online. The pinch seam was also problematic. Any advice?

Sponsored

GeneralRizzo

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Hey R3,

I ordered the JKU door sill guards. Tried install today and pretty sure the left rear driver is ruined. It may be salvageable. Put the rest on hold. Are the designed to protect the top of the door sills? I couldn’t get it to cooperate, nor could I find an install vid or much info online. The pinch seam was also problematic. Any advice?
Correction: JLU.

trailchaser

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab
Thank you to every one for the positive reviews!
It is very true that patience is the key!
Thanks
Matt,
Hi Matt,

Installed mine last night in my garage, don’t think they came out as good..maybe it was too dark but I got some ugly spots, not that notica me but I know they are there...will they self cure or bubbles eventually dry out?

Thanks a lot, even if not installed perfectly I know I’m protected

954014DD-93D9-4199-94CE-C0C354F2E241.jpeg

CC9EBAF8-A75B-4963-B6DF-04F4FDC8A240.jpeg

3AB5514E-FE5A-46A2-9806-84C58A362B51.jpeg

FDAF45B8-CF82-49A5-A736-3CCEA187FCF0.jpeg

ashtonjarrett

First Name
Ashton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Engineer
@R 3 - Just finished installing my hinge protection and created an install video:

They look great. I can't imagine trying to cut the film to fit after seeing the cuts in these laser cut ones.

Thanks for the install video @Ezun, how is it holding up a couple months in?

Last edited:

Ezun

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the instal video @Ezun, how is it holding up a couple months in?
@ashtonjarrett they seem to be holding up well. I actually forget they’re there. I’ll have to look again tomorrow and see if anything stands out or looks wonky.

Ezun

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
Vehicle Showcase
@ashtonjarrett they seem to be holding up well. I actually forget they’re there. I’ll have to look again tomorrow and see if anything stands out or looks wonky.
@ashtonjarrett I checked them this morning and they still look great. A few areas have clearly been hit by rocks, but the paint still looks great, and other than where they’ve had impact, they look perfect.

Sponsored

broox

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.broox.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 BMW M4, 2020 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Software Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Got the R3 door protectors installed on my 2-door over the weekend. It's a very slow/tedious process... not hard, it just takes time. So, have some patience, grab a couple beers, put on some good music, and prepare to spend some time chilling out with your Jeep.

If I were to do this again (or if I had a 4-door), I'd probably cut the larger hinge strips back so they just cover the barrel part of the hinge and not the entire thing. This would cut the time down considerably. R3 should really consider making a version of these that just cover the barrel. That's where the chips are most likely to occur anyway.

That said, the method and video that @Ezun posted was incredibly helpful. Check that out here...

And for the solution (which works incredibly well), that can be found here (note, i cut this recipe in half and still had plenty leftover after 4 hinges):

How to install 3M Paint Protection Film.
You can use an "All in One Solution" when you apply the 3M film.
You would mix and pour your solution into an empty, clean, spray bottle.

All in One Solution mixture:
8oz. of 70% Isopropyl Alcohol
24 oz. of Distilled Water (DISTILLED WATER)
2 ml of Johnson's Baby Shampoo

Last edited:

Upnarms

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2003 TJ X
Got the R3 door protectors installed on my 2-door over the weekend. It's a very slow/tedious process... not hard, it just takes time. So, have some patience, grab a couple beers, put on some good music, and prepare to spend some time chilling out with your Jeep.

If I were to do this again (or if I had a 4-door), I'd probably cut the larger hinge strips back so they just cover the barrel part of the hinge and not the entire thing. This would cut the time down considerably. R3 should really consider making a version of these that just cover the barrel. That's where the chips are most likely to occur anyway.

That said, the method and video that @Ezun posted was incredibly helpful. Check that out here...

And for the solution (which works incredibly well), that can be found here:
Agree, I've never got chips in any part of the hinge other than the barrel. Im just wondering if that thin film will actually stop chips from rocks flying back at 30+mph. I suppose it's better than nothing but seems a nice curved body color matched piece of plastic 3m'd to the leading edge would be ideal. Something a half inch wide or so.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Mine have been installed since 6/2018 and they’re doing their job. No chips, and the film hasn’t budged.

Melny67

First Name
Melvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep jlu
I have questions first one why do you have to cover the whole door hinge and not just the first front part of it? I thought rocks that get picked up by the front tires get shot out and catch the highest part of the hinge. Also will a front mud flap help? I had not seen many Wrangler with them but Mopar does have a nice set.

Barky

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon
The JLU one for $40 I just want to confirm comes with 4 protection films (for all 4 door hinges)?
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.