Help Planning Colorado Trip

irishtim7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL Wrangler Rubicon, 02 BMW M3, 91 BMW E30
I'm planning on heading out to CO Aug 9-15. I've never been out this way and was looking for some help planning it out. That first weekend I am hooking up with a group in Telluride/Ouray to run some trails in the area. After that, I plan on overlanding my way back east for the remaining 4-5 days before I have to hit the highway and head back to Ohio.

I'm looking for some suggestions on what trails would be good for this heading east (or at least somewhat east) from Ouray. I'm looking for more scenic trails as I will be alone and don't want to get stuck by myself on some difficult trail. Any must sees? Open to suggestions from locals or those that have wheeled/camped CO before.

Thanks.
Sponsored

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
I would just stay in CO the whole time then plan 2 days back to Cleveland. I did CO to Toledo last summer and that drive sucked although I didn't overland and was on I-70 or I-80.

BTW I was just in Ouray/Telluride/Silverton/Durango a couple weekends ago and it's amazing right now. Everything should be open by early August.

OP
OP
irishtim7

irishtim7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would just stay in CO the whole time then plan 2 days back to Cleveland. I did CO to Toledo last summer and that drive sucked although I didn't overland and was on I-70 or I-80.

BTW I was just in Ouray/Telluride/Silverton/Durango a couple weekends ago and it's amazing right now. Everything should be open by early August.
Yeh, I'm not looking forward to the drive. I'm thinking it's going to take me 2.5 days. My max is about 10 hours in one day.

I have no issues staying in CO. I just don't want to get too far out west to lengthen that drive home. I also have no issues driving an hour or so each day to get to some cool trail/ overlanding spot. I just don't really know what's out there other than the popular wheeling trails. I've also been looking at TrailsOffroad.com to try to get some ideas.

COSJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 WK2, 2019 JLR?
@irishtim7 If you are not looking for 4x4 trails, I recommend Crested Butte area. You can take hwy 50 east back from Ouray to Gunnison and Kebler Pass back to I 70. Checkout Paradise Divide/Schofield pass and Crystal Mill near that area.
Also recommend the drive up Mt. Evans near the Denver area. It is a paved road not a trail, but it is a fun drive and not too far from I 70.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Yeh, I'm not looking forward to the drive. I'm thinking it's going to take me 2.5 days. My max is about 10 hours in one day.

I have no issues staying in CO. I just don't want to get too far out west to lengthen that drive home. I also have no issues driving an hour or so each day to get to some cool trail/ overlanding spot. I just don't really know what's out there other than the popular wheeling trails. I've also been looking at TrailsOffroad.com to try to get some ideas.
Once you spend a day in the Ouray area you're not going to want to leave. I'll attach a couple examples why. There are so many trails there it'd probably take 2 weeks to do them all. This book is very useful in that area: https://smile.amazon.com/Guide-Colo...-Drive+Trails&qid=1562618820&s=gateway&sr=8-6

It took me 22 hours Denver to Toledo and Cleveland is 2 hours west so your math adds up to me for 2.5 days. A quick tip is on your way back make (if you're on I-80) sure if you're stopping after 10 hours to stop in Nebraska. We learned the hard way when I wanted to push another hour when going into Iowa and didn't find a hotel for 4 hours...

20190627_153335_1.jpg

20190627_170845.jpg

20190630_162014.jpg

Sponsored

TRZ

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, Ocean Blue
Don’t count on this, Colorado has had record snowfall last season as in ludicrous amounts of snow and many of the passes and trails have been affected. Sorry I don’t have more info, I haven’t been keeping up with what’s closed and open.

OP
OP
irishtim7

irishtim7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@irishtim7 If you are not looking for 4x4 trails, I recommend Crested Butte area. You can take hwy 50 east back from Ouray to Gunnison and Kebler Pass back to I 70. Checkout Paradise Divide/Schofield pass and Crystal Mill near that area.
Also recommend the drive up Mt. Evans near the Denver area. It is a paved road not a trail, but it is a fun drive and not too far from I 70.
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check them out.

OP
OP
irishtim7

irishtim7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Once you spend a day in the Ouray area you're not going to want to leave. I'll attach a couple examples why. There are so many trails there it'd probably take 2 weeks to do them all. This book is very useful in that area: https://smile.amazon.com/Guide-Colo...-Drive+Trails&qid=1562618820&s=gateway&sr=8-6

It took me 22 hours Denver to Toledo and Cleveland is 2 hours west so your math adds up to me for 2.5 days. A quick tip is on your way back make (if you're on I-80) sure if you're stopping after 10 hours to stop in Nebraska. We learned the hard way when I wanted to push another hour when going into Iowa and didn't find a hotel for 4 hours...

20190627_153335_1.jpg

20190627_170845.jpg

20190630_162014.jpg
Yeah, that's insanely beautiful. I'm not sure what trails we are going to run yet with the group. So, I'll maybe stick around Ouray a little longer. I'll definitely be getting that book too. Thanks for the tip.

UNC Rubicon

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase

20190627_153335_1.jpg

20190627_170845.jpg

20190630_162014.jpg
Hi. Since you’re a mod, I need you to come up with a way for me to like this post more than once.

Last edited:

HoundDude

Threads
Reaction score
New Jersey (i know, i know, i'm stuck here)
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sahara
are those pictures real? is that place real?

I'm going to follow this thread closely. I've wanted to go out to CO my whole life. I keep telling myself this is the year but it's just me and I never seem to take time to make plans. one of these days.

Sponsored

wahlsaint

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6MT; Macan Turbo; Li'l Cooper; Subee, CR-V

20190627_153335_1.jpg

20190627_170845.jpg

20190630_162014.jpg
Crikey, those are real nice pix right there. :rock::camera::rock:

baggio16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubicon
Besides the book recommended, I've used the site: http://trailsoffroad.com

There's tons of good trails on the way out. I'd recommend looking into the Breckenridge/Montezuma area if you want to stay around I-70. Otherwise, some really fun trails around Colorado Springs along Rampart Range Road with amazing camping and views of Pikes Peak.

Also, the Boulder area. I think it's called the Switzerland Road or something. Could hit up Rocky Mountain NP (if it's open, there's a nice little road up to the top) and take the Peak to Peak Highway back down towards/Boulder/I-70. I wish the book would have covered that area. If you're up for a little challenge, Pennsylvania Gulch was a ton of fun, actually that was the first trail I went on.

I'm hoping the San Juan passes will be open when I'm there in a couple weeks. C'mon sun do you job!

I've biked up that before. Freaking awesome. Nothing like being on a bike coming down the road at 60mph+. :)

OP
OP
irishtim7

irishtim7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

sourdough

Threads