First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator
I am hoping to plan and head out to Moab next summer to experience Moab. What resources are good to read? I am not new to trails, but have no experience rock crawling. Really just wanting to drive easy trails and get my son-in-law and daughter out on some trails to build up their confidence. They have a 4 Dr stock Rubicon and we drive a 2 Dr stock Rubicon.
Best coming sites while in the Moab area?
Thanks
Sponsored

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I am hoping to plan and head out to Moab next summer to experience Moab. What resources are good to read? I am not new to trails, but have no experience rock crawling. Really just wanting to drive easy trails and get my son-in-law and daughter out on some trails to build up their confidence. They have a 4 Dr stock Rubicon and we drive a 2 Dr stock Rubicon.
Thanks
Charles A Wells book on Moab is the Bible. Also known as Funtreks books. When are you going? I usually go the week of 4th of July.

OP
OP
dchemphill1

dchemphill1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
School Administrator
Charles A Wells book on Moab is the Bible. Also known as Funtreks books. When are you going? I usually go the week of 4th of July.
Not sure yet. Coordinating 3 work schedules. Thanks for the book ideas! ✌

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
If you do Facebook join the group Moab Friends For Wheelin' .

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Just did it myself this summer. I recommend hell’s revenge and fins and things. They are both fairly easy trails and must see for Moab.

Sponsored

rfg9585

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2020 Sahara JLU
Occupation
retired
Thanks
In my new 1st JLUR did it this summer, the week of the 4th. Plan for VERY hot. 107 when I got off Poison Spider at 6pm. Did Shafer, PS, Hells Rev, Metal M, Finns and Things, Gensis Arch, and a few other easy trails. All were nice but the long ride down Shafer was the most scenic.

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
You both drive a Rubicon but want easy trails to drive so you can get experience for your son in law. I understand that you guys never Rock Crawled and are worried. You both have a vehicle that surpasses your ability to drive them. That Rubicon is going to surprise you with what it can do. Finns and Hell's Revenge are easy trails but i would not call them rock crawling trails. They are full of sandstone water falls and smooth fins. stay off the optional obstacles on Hells like the Escalator, Hells Gate and the Hot Tubs and you will be fine. The only rock crawling part of hells is on the way out if you run the full trail. most people take the easy route back to the trail head. If you want quality experience with Rock crawling then Hire a guide from one of the outfitters in town who can show you how to use your Rubicon for what it was built to do. They can take you on a BOH trail and provide spotting, knowledge and advice on running your rig safely. Once you do a day with them, you will have more confidence and be able to hit other trails knowing much more.

OP
OP
dchemphill1

dchemphill1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
School Administrator
You both drive a Rubicon but want easy trails to drive so you can get experience for your son in law. I understand that you guys never Rock Crawled and are worried. You both have a vehicle that surpasses your ability to drive them. That Rubicon is going to surprise you with what it can do. Finns and Hell's Revenge are easy trails but i would not call them rock crawling trails. They are full of sandstone water falls and smooth fins. stay off the optional obstacles on Hells like the Escalator, Hells Gate and the Hot Tubs and you will be fine. The only rock crawling part of hells is on the way out if you run the full trail. most people take the easy route back to the trail head. If you want quality experience with Rock crawling then Hire a guide from one of the outfitters in town who can show you how to use your Rubicon for what it was built to do. They can take you on a BOH trail and provide spotting, knowledge and advice on running your rig safely. Once you do a day with them, you will have more confidence and be able to hit other trails knowing much more.
Thanks for the great input. Good suggestion on a guide. I got to experience a little of what the Rubicon could do this past summer in doing some trails out of Animas Forks/ Silverton area.

LunchBoxFab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
im following along here, we are planning for july 2022

Coops4284

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB; 2019 Indian Scout Bobber
Occupation
IT Enterprise Architect
Vehicle Showcase
I am heading out there in a week and a half, taking my MOAB to Moab :) . Last time I was there was 2008, but can tell you that you will be just fine in a Rubicon. Most hard obstacles have bypasses, and if you hire a local guide or hookup with some other jeep people in the area, you may have a spotter to run the obstacle and skip the bypass. I will post an update when I get back mid-November. I am meeting up with some friends that have rigs in Vegas next week at SEMA and run Moab 3 to 4 times a year.

Sponsored

hiimmike

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Network Engineer
I'm getting my first Jeep in February, hopefully. Ordered a '22 JLUR 2.0. I'm planning on going to Moab for my first time in May for my 40th birthday. I'm in Northern Colorado so it's only about a 6 hour trip, if you're looking for company, I'd be down to go with you and we could both chip in on the guide, save some money and have a fun caravan!

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Just got back from Moab with the Jeep Jamboree. October was perfect weather. A little chilly in the morning, but perfect during the day. Metal Masher, and Steel Bender are my favorite. Get the Funtreks book and use onX Offroad app so you know where you are on the trail. Those two trails can be demanding, but do have bypasses on most obstacles. They are best to go with someone that can help spot you.

Coops4284

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB; 2019 Indian Scout Bobber
Occupation
IT Enterprise Architect
Vehicle Showcase
So I just got back from Moab. I agree with Jellis4248, get the Funtrecks book ($36 available at several locations in Moab) and use OnX or Gaia. I ran several badge trails (Hells Revenge, Fins & Things, Steel Bender, Metal Masher, Poison Spider, Golden Spike, Pritchett) as well as Onion Creek, Dome Plateau, Gemini Bridges, Bartlett Wash, Chicken Corners, Potash, and some two track county roads. We covered roughly 400 miles of trail around Moab over 6 days. It was amazing! I will be back out there for EJS in April and then a friends wedding in September. Take your time, observe the obstacle, and have a spotter. Most everything has a bypass if it is really hard. Check out my YouTube channel (Between Two Jeeps) for hours of footage from all of the mentioned trails.

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation