Sponsored

Doors Off Driving Just Impractical?

suzookus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
You must ride a sport bike and wear a full face then because and 1/2 helmet certainly grabs the wind .. wither that or you have a fairing on your cruiser ,,
Yep. Ever since a big bug hit me in the nose (felt like a rock) I’ve always use full helmets.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Topless and doorless, is for casual cruising. There is nothing better that the top off, the doors off and cruising on a warm day with the wife and some good tunes on the radio. Makes for a perfect day. It is impossible to mad, stressed or depressed in a naked Jeep, with warm weather and good music. Heck even going to the store is a blast.

TaxPhan

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Black Sahara
Occupation
VP of Tax
I turn my hat around backwards and haven’t had an issue. I was running 75 yesterday with the front doors and freedom panels off - hat stayed on. There is definitely wind buffeting when you’re running in a cross wind but I’ve ridden a naked motorcycle for years, so I’m used to wind.
I read the last sentence with "naked" and "motorcycle" flipped around by accident. Oh boy!

Sponsored

Patinito

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 MOAB "Saharacon"
Occupation
SysAdmin
Vehicle Showcase
Same thing when people complain about 'tire noise' of the KM2's :facepalm:

Patinito

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 MOAB "Saharacon"
Occupation
SysAdmin
Vehicle Showcase
Topless and doorless, is for casual cruising. There is nothing better that the top off, the doors off and cruising on a warm day with the wife and some good tunes on the radio. Makes for a perfect day. It is impossible to mad, stressed or depressed in a naked Jeep, with warm weather and good music. Heck even going to the store is a blast.
amen!

Patinito

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 MOAB "Saharacon"
Occupation
SysAdmin
Vehicle Showcase
Ran it full naked 3.5 hrs one way 1hr stop then back home all @ 75-85mph down interstate with radio blasting one of the best trips I have taken. Hat will get sketchy when passing 18 wheelers or strong cross wind gust, but you don't get sleepy at all :rock:

Jeep newb warning the sun did kick my butt sunscreen was added to the Jeep kit after that.:sun:
Same, drove 70-80 from Miami to Boca Raton nothing on but a sunshade. People on the highway look at you either thinking your crazy or they see that we have become too soft and think 'yea, that's cool' while they are driving in their Range Rover.

Cheap sunshade that is real nice and has served me well

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KWNDW2C/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_IAFWCb7CTD56Y

IMG_1137.jpeg
IMG_1139.jpeg
IMG_1140.jpeg

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
First Jeep, had it since November. I was looking forward to stripping it down and doing as much top-down, doors off driving as possible in the nicer months, bought some mirrors and am ready to go. I've had the doors off twice now and the problem is the wind effects. I basically can't go anywhere from my house without getting on roads that you'd typically drive 50+ MPH. So of course I expected some 'wind in your hair' type stuff, but first time out, the wind got so bad it felt like my hat was going to blow off. So OK, I thought I wore the wrong hat, need a tighter hat. I have one so I'll wear that one. Next time out, with the tighter hat, wind felt like it would blow that one off too, and even it was so bad it felt like my eye-glasses were going to blow too. So I'm driving down the road, sitting on my hat holding my eyeglasses with one hand, steering with the other, manual transmission - that's a no go. To be fair, they both were somewhat windy days, but still. So is that how it goes, you really can't do those speeds without the doors? Or was it just bad weather for it, keep trying? Thanks for your advice.
So you did not know that there was wind outside when you take your doors & top off?? I would suggest never doing that again if wind bothers you!! That's the freedom of the Jeep... Feel the wind in your face (and other things like flying insects!!) You could sell your jeep and get a Kia.

I'm really just kidding, It was a funny thread, though.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Yep. Ever since a big bug hit me in the nose (felt like a rock) I’ve always use full helmets.
Acorns too... they echo inside of your helmet when they hit. lol

Sponsored

thecritter

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JlU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase

thecritter

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JlU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Where did you get the red floor lights are they replacement for the factory and do you have LED package?

Same, drove 70-80 from Miami to Boca Raton nothing on but a sunshade. People on the highway look at you either thinking your crazy or they see that we have become too soft and think 'yea, that's cool' while they are driving in their Range Rover.

Cheap sunshade that is real nice and has served me well

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KWNDW2C/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_IAFWCb7CTD56Y

IMG_1137.jpeg
IMG_1139.jpeg
IMG_1140.jpeg

OP
OP
JeepDave

JeepDave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2D Sport, V6, Manual Transmission
So you did not know that there was wind outside when you take your doors & top off?? I would suggest never doing that again if wind bothers you!! That's the freedom of the Jeep... Feel the wind in your face (and other things like flying insects!!) You could sell your jeep and get a Kia.

I'm really just kidding, It was a funny thread, though.
Of course I knew there would be wind, just more than I expected. Don’t know how that’s so funny.

Even before I bought a Jeep, I’d always see Jeeps going by on the nicest summer days with the tops on windows rolled up A/c on and I’d think what’s wrong with those people, why would they not at least have the top down, why buy a Jeep then?? Most are hardtops so those look like a PIA to go off & on etc. and more rare to see them with the doors off.

So, with only two nice days to try this with more or less the same results, I was wondering if doors off was really only workable at lower speeds/Offroad.

My only dumbness was not really thinking through or realizing how a strong crosswind would blow through at a multiplied effect. That and posting a question about it here.

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Of course I knew there would be wind, just more than I expected. Don’t know how that’s so funny.

Even before I bought a Jeep, I’d always see Jeeps going by on the nicest summer days with the tops on windows rolled up A/c on and I’d think what’s wrong with those people, why would they not at least have the top down, why buy a Jeep then?? Most are hardtops so those look like a PIA to go off & on etc. and more rare to see them with the doors off.

So, with only two nice days to try this with more or less the same results, I was wondering if doors off was really only workable at lower speeds/Offroad.

My only dumbness was not really thinking through or realizing how a strong crosswind would blow through at a multiplied effect. That and posting a question about it here.
Understood! And you apparently live in the Windy City, which multiplies the cross winds, good luck on your doors off driving!

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Driving 60 mph in a 20 mph crosswind doesn’t make the wind blow any harder. Sometimes it’s just windy.
Sponsored