Sponsored

Installing Mopar Lift Kit yourself? Instructions?

tarndesigns

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
Wondering how easy it is to install a Mopar lift kit yourself? Will it still be covered by warranty if you install it yourself? Also, I saw an instruction book that comes with the lift kit. Anyone know where I can find a PDF of that?
Sponsored

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
It's a bolt on kit. If you have decent mechanical skills and access to a good set of tools it should only take a couple of hours. I'm sure there will be instructions included. The parts or accessories are warrantied against manufacturer defects. It doesn't matter who puts them on. The vehicle warranty won't be affected unless you install it incorrectly and the fault is directly related to the lift/install.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Wondering how easy it is to install a Mopar lift kit yourself? Will it still be covered by warranty if you install it yourself? Also, I saw an instruction book that comes with the lift kit. Anyone know where I can find a PDF of that?
The kit parts themselves will be under warranty and they won't void any aspect of your vehicle's warranty, but the kit will not be assimilated into your Wrangler's warranty at all regardless of whether or not the dealership installs it. It'll still be considered an aftermarket modification and treated as such.

That being said, I would encourage you to do it yourself. This is a very simple lift kit and with some patience, hand tools, and perhaps a buddy, you can easily tackle it in an afternoon. The changes they've made to the JL in concert with the simplicity of this particular kit will make it an excellent project to help familiarize yourself with your vehicle's suspension and how it works. Plus, you'll get an awesome sense of pride and accomplishment when its all done. There's no better feeling when it comes to your Jeep than installing your own mods, no matter how big or small.

With the way the JL's shock mounts are now designed, they should be phenomenally easier to bolt on than in the JK. Gone are the days of having to cut away at the fender liner to get to the top of the shock and try to fit a ratchet in there. The control arms and swaybar links are simple enough, just unbolt them at each end and replace them with the new ones. And I'd recommend getting your hands on a spring compressor (if you can) to help make that part much easier.

The beauty of this kind of kit is that it shouldn't require an alignment since you aren't changing any steering components, tie rods, or the trackbar. The big thing will be adjusting the computer to accommodate the larger tire size. Right now, there aren't any aftermarket programmers available, so you might be at the mercy of having a dealership flash your computer. It'll take them less than 2 minutes to simply input a new tire size, but they're going to bill you for an entire hour on top of having to schedule an appointment to have it done.

I'm eyeing this kit as well. Given how tall and flexible the Rubicon already is, 2" with 35's should be perfect. I wheel a lot, but I don't do insanely crazy stuff, so having my JL lifted while retaining as much of the original geometry as possible is what I'm looking for. Based on early lift kit installs, it seems like the 8-speed auto handles 35's nicely and if you're already at 4.10, regearing won't be an immediate need, either.

Last edited:

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I'd think about trying the install myself, but I don't know how to deal with compressing and installing the springs, or do you even have to do that?

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
I'd think about trying the install myself, but I don't know how to deal with compressing and installing the springs, or do you even have to do that?
Autozone allows you to borrow specialty tools with a fully refundable deposit on return. Spring compressor is one of those tools. Other suppliers may offer similar programs.

Sponsored

jericbarg

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-Granite
Occupation
Healthcare
No spring compressor needed.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
It's basically a vice. You widen it, pop it in somewhere between the coil, then tighten it. Put the spring in where it belongs, untighten, and boom, you're done.

No spring compressor needed.
However, is this is the case, that's even better.

alphalife9

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Z51 C6, Sting Gray JLUR
I was hoping a Mopar lift would be covered under warranty, specially if buying the lifetime FCA warranty. Is this not the case? The fine print says it covers Mopar accessories

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I was hoping a Mopar lift would be covered under warranty, specially if buying the lifetime FCA warranty. Is this not the case? The fine print says it covers Mopar accessories
I think they'd have a hard time not covering it, especially if dealer installed, and if the fine print says that.

matchews

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
The kit parts themselves will be under warranty and they won't void any aspect of your vehicle's warranty, but the kit will not be assimilated into your Wrangler's warranty at all regardless of whether or not the dealership installs it. It'll still be considered an aftermarket modification and treated as such.

That being said, I would encourage you to do it yourself. This is a very simple lift kit and with some patience, hand tools, and perhaps a buddy, you can easily tackle it in an afternoon. The changes they've made to the JL in concert with the simplicity of this particular kit will make it an excellent project to help familiarize yourself with your vehicle's suspension and how it works. Plus, you'll get an awesome sense of pride and accomplishment when its all done. There's no better feeling when it comes to your Jeep than installing your own mods, no matter how big or small.

With the way the JL's shock mounts are now designed, they should be phenomenally easier to bolt on than in the JK. Gone are the days of having to cut away at the fender liner to get to the top of the shock and try to fit a ratchet in there. The control arms and swaybar links are simple enough, just unbolt them at each end and replace them with the new ones. And I'd recommend getting your hands on a spring compressor (if you can) to help make that part much easier.

The beauty of this kind of kit is that it shouldn't require an alignment since you aren't changing any steering components, tie rods, or the trackbar. The big thing will be adjusting the computer to accommodate the larger tire size. Right now, there aren't any aftermarket programmers available, so you might be at the mercy of having a dealership flash your computer. It'll take them less than 2 minutes to simply input a new tire size, but they're going to bill you for an entire hour on top of having to schedule an appointment to have it done.

I'm eyeing this kit as well. Given how tall and flexible the Rubicon already is, 2" with 35's should be perfect. I wheel a lot, but I don't do insanely crazy stuff, so having my JL lifted while retaining as much of the original geometry as possible is what I'm looking for. Based on early lift kit installs, it seems like the 8-speed auto handles 35's nicely and if you're already at 4.10, regearing won't be an immediate need, either.
My dealer told me the lift kit would be keyed in under the VIN and treated like equipment that was installed at the factory. The back of the JL Mopar performance parts catalog says something to this effect.

Edit: This was assuming the dealership would install the lift kit.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
My dealer told me the lift kit would be keyed in under the VIN and treated like equipment that was installed at the factory. The back of the JL Mopar performance parts catalog says something to this effect.

Edit: This was assuming the dealership would install the lift kit.
I bought my Mopar kit from Quadratec, who got it from a dealership. My dealership will install it Tuesday. So, how would that work under those circumstances, or would it?

matchews

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I bought my Mopar kit from Quadratec, who got it from a dealership. My dealership will install it Tuesday. So, how would that work under those circumstances, or would it?
I think you should be fine. Just make sure the dealer enters the part numbers under your VIN. Here’s the warranty. The lift kit is not considered a performance part which is sold As-Is. The lift kit is covered for the entire 3 yr/36k vehicle warranty and will cover parts outside of the 3/36 warranty if damaged by the lift. My interpretation of this is if the Mopar lift eats up a set of tires, the tires should be covered.

98693C22-3653-4B7B-AB7A-83DC646A6293.png

matchews

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Did you get a copy of the installation manual? I would love to see pictures/pdf scan of it.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Did you get a copy of the installation manual? I would love to see pictures/pdf scan of it.
Yes, but it has many pages. It would take awhile to scan it all.

matchews

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Yes, but it has many pages. It would take awhile to scan it all.
I’m just interested in the recommended wheel offset. It should be 12mm for 35’s, but wanted to double check. Is that in the manual? They included this info in the older JK Mopar lift manual. Thx!
Sponsored