Trauma PA

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara Unlimited Sting Gray
Occupation
Saving seconds saves lives. Trauma Surgery PA.
Other than the CJ off road installing the springs on the wrong side, not mentioning to loosen ALL the control arm and track bar bolts before install, and tightening them up when the Jeep is on the ground under a static load (which the Mopar instructions do). Yeah not bad, lol.
Yes, very valid points. I guess those were part of the install that I was already aware of so it didn't bother me that those steps were omitted from the video. Point is, The Mopar instructions weren't very helpful either which means you sort of have to have a basic understanding of the suspension and it's components before doing the install. I did the install with a friend and his brother is a mechanic and thought we were crazy for removing the springs without a spring compressor. He was texting his brother and giving him updates throughout the install, lol. Dropping the axle and removing the springs was quite easy. The hardest part was loosening the front control arm bolts with just a breaker bar and then installing the front passenger side bump stop. If I had pneumatic tools the install would have gone quicker but the end result would have been the same. I can't believe some dealers are charging upwards of $1200 for the install. I'm glad I saved the money and got to experience the personal satisfaction of doing this myself and knowing that it was done correctly.
Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I've done a lot of lifts on various models of Jeeps and pickups. Spacer lifts, coil lifts, the whole nine yards. In theory, it's a simple process on a Wrangler. But the things that end up taking forever are the things you can't see coming. Realizing you don't have the proper hardware, having to modify components due to crappy production processes, needing tools you don't have, things not going the way they should, etc.

If you're doing your first lift, I'd suggest starting early in the weekend so that if things go wrong, you have time to find solutions before Monday morning comes back around.

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
Its really not a difficult or time consuming job if you have a lift and the right tools. I've learned several tricks and have specific tools set aside when I do JK/JL lifts that make a basic lift a 2-3 hour job(Axle stands make life so much easier on a lift.)
I dont like doing Jeep lifts on the ground due to how high the Jeep needs to be lifted for the axle to droop down far enough to install the new springs. I've done it several times, but never look forward to it. The worst part of doing a lift for me now is crawling around on the ground and torquing all the control arm/trackbar bolts when the Jeep is sitting on its own weight(20 bots/nuts)
I think what it comes down to is if a full day is worth $2-300 of your time, or if you have someone you can trust do it. I think it's great for everyone to learn to wrench on their own Jeeps, but it's nice to have someone around that has done it if you need some help or to lend you some tools(Forums are great for guidance.)
If you have to buy all the tools expect to pay more than the installation price, but then you will have the tools for the next time or to help a fellow Jeeper :like:

fdbjorn

First Name
Bjorn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL Wrangler Willys Edition
I will be installing a 2" lift kit just replacing sway bar, coil springs, and shocks. It does not mention anything about loosing track bar/control arms bolts. Is that necessary? I understand it is to prevent any binding/bushing but I also read if you do anything less than 2.5", you would not need to worry about that. Any tips/comments if I need to loosen track bar/control arms? I'd like to avoid any unnecessary angle changes if possible.
Sponsored