Sponsored

Engine coolant level?

iflyimpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Volkswagen Tiguan 2.0T, JLU Sport S
Checked the coolant level tonight (I'm going to be honest and say that I haven't looked under the hood yet since picking her up in February :facepalm:). Looking at the coolant reservoir, I was a bit confused by the MAX/MIN markings. If you look at the pic, there are down arrows next to MAX and MIN with a line right in between. Question is, where exactly is minimum and maximum? I'm pretty sure my coolant level is on the low side but wanted to make sure I'm interpreting the markings properly.

IMG_3794.JPG
Sponsored

OP
OP
iflyimpilot

iflyimpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Volkswagen Tiguan 2.0T, JLU Sport S
Thanks! Thinking of adding more to get it between Min and Max. Could anyone confirm that this is the appropriate coolant to use?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017DP43Z...colid=JPC3S9YEX54Y&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

*Note* The manual states (page 443):

We recommend using Mopar Antifreeze/Coolant 10
Year/150,000 Mile (240,000 km) Formula OAT (Organic
Additive Technology) that meets the requirements of
FCA Material Standard MS.90032.

The linked coolant above shows MS.12106. Anyone know the difference?

LeaN69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLUR 4xe / 23 Bolt EUV / 22 Camaro SS 1LE
Thanks! Thinking of adding more to get it between Min and Max. Could anyone confirm that this is the appropriate coolant to use?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017DP43Z...colid=JPC3S9YEX54Y&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

*Note* The manual states (page 443):

We recommend using Mopar Antifreeze/Coolant 10
Year/150,000 Mile (240,000 km) Formula OAT (Organic
Additive Technology) that meets the requirements of
FCA Material Standard MS.90032.

The linked coolant above shows MS.12106. Anyone know the difference?
Believe its one and the same. Theyre even same color.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/coolant-ms-12106-vs-90032-a-1942898.html

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
How tight is the tank cap supposed to be screwed down, the reason I ask is I took mine off to inspect and when putting it back on it screws down and stops but if you give it a slightly harder twist it pops past the stop and screws down another half turn and bottoms out, it seems like it’s some type of vent system since it has a pressure rating stamped on top

Sponsored

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2003 F150 S-Crew FX4, Others
I swear the coolant was more purple color on delivery yet now after 2,000 miles or so it appears more pinkish. Also is everyones coolant level when stone cold right at the line where the 2 halves of the reservoir come together? Please advise. & Thanks!

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I swear the coolant was more purple color on delivery yet now after 2,000 miles or so it appears more pinkish. Also is everyones coolant level when stone cold right at the line where the 2 halves of the reservoir come together? Please advise. & Thanks!
@ALRUI

Just went to the garage and checked my JL..

The 3.6 engine on it, has not been run since yesterday. The coolant level is as your's, "at the line where the 2 halves of the reservoir come together". Coolant is pink in color. I have a tad over 5,000 mi. on the vehicle.

LeaN69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLUR 4xe / 23 Bolt EUV / 22 Camaro SS 1LE
This coolant changes color with Temperature. Cold engine = Pink / Warm Engine = Purple.

Wrangler-NS

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
My coolant is at the same level - the minimum mark. Is this how they come new? I'd like to add more coolant but seeing as others are sitting at this level it leads me to believe it is the norm. I don't believe I've lost any coolant.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My coolant is at the same level - the minimum mark. Is this how they come new? I'd like to add more coolant but seeing as others are sitting at this level it leads me to believe it is the norm. I don't believe I've lost any coolant.
@Wrangler-NS

I have opened the hood on many (probably 30 or more at dealerships) JL's and I always eyeball that reservoir. The coolant level is as always at the line where the 2 halves of the reservoir come together. I'd say that level is normal, for a JL that is cold. I would not add fluid if the level is as mentioned.

Sponsored

kacper244

First Name
Kacper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sport S, 2016 VW Jetta, 1993 Wrangler YJ (Sold)
This morning I opened the hood and noticed that the coolant level was very low, about an inch below the MIN line. I started the Jeep and let it warm up and it came up to the MIN line. Is this normal, or should I add coolant? I remember when I first got the Jeep, a little over a month and 2k miles ago, that it was right at the MAX line.

IMG_0906.jpeg

IMG_0908.jpeg

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@kacper244

Just leave it be. I'd consider the level normal for cold weather (your locale) times of the year. I noticed since cold weather hit NY, that my JL's level is the same when the vehicle is cold... as in, has not been run say in 24 hrs.

Went to Florida and the warmer temps their and the coolant level, when the vehicle had not been run in 24 hrs., was right back up to the minimum line.

So, again... leave it be.. 8-)

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I could be wrong, but typically those lines on the reservoir are COLD levels. So while cold, if your coolant is lower than that bottom line then you need to add coolant.

My wife has a 2018 Cherokee and it's low. My JL is also low. I've been too lazy to buy a $21 jug of antifreeze but I guess I should do that.

The 90032 spec is also confusing because you can't actually find that anywhere. FCA needs to address that issue.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@WXman

I agree with what you mentioned ... but I have noticed the behavior I mentioned in my post, on multiple, new, on the dealership lot, JL's in NY and Florida, not just my JL when at both locations.

The level seems to fluctuate with outside temps. It is not really an inch down.... With that said, I said let it be... 8-)

Subaru Driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
How much should the coolant level fluctuate? When my car is cold the fluid level is soo low I can’t see it from the side, only if I look through the cap opening. This is also only 2 weeks since I got the radiator replaced under warranty and the fluid level was at the max line then. Do I have another leak?
Sponsored