Jeep owner’s intelligence

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Absolutely! I have a doctorate degree...…...and now I spend most of my time looking for objects to roll over in my :jk:
Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I have been reading the threads posted on this site. The verbage and content leads to me believe that Jeep owners are the more intelligent people of society. I’m honored to be part of the group
It's controversial but I'll say it.

Let's assume you are correct. If so then my concern lies with intelligence correlating with wise decisions.

Nobody likes to hear this because we all want "stuff," now; me too. But if I had a wish of the owner, without telling them what to do, with each piece of bling, including the JL itself I'd ask them to ask themselves:

* Do I have good life insurance to protect my family if I die?
* Do I have 6 months of cash reserves in case I fall on hard times (this is money experts talking, not me)?
* Have I paid off the credit card debt?
* Are my kids 529B plans adequately funding for when their need the money for higher education?
* Have I adequately contributed to my retirement given my distance to retirement?

This list has more items.

Please don't shoot the messenger; I know such financial discipline is hard. I know we have to balance living for a tomorrow that is not guaranteed with enjoying today. I know that everyone so often you have to say, "what the heck." I also want people thinking social security is going to much be there for them to not come to the rude awakening that it won't and their eating cat food, or deciding someday in retirement which of their necessary medicines they won't get filled this month.

Wranglers, despite being one of the historically slowest depreciating vehicles out there rarely appreciate in value: they depreciate, it's just a matter of degree. They are not an investment. Their accessories: they depreciate even faster. Finance the purchase and for every dollar loaned, you may be paying back multiples of it, even adjusted for Present Value.

Leasing is worse: provided it's not a business purchase that can be offset by lowering taxable income, effectively having government pay for some of it.

I'd like JL owners to be happy today, AND, not at the expense of tomorrow.

I paint in broad strokes here. Sure there are the owners who got their rig after surviving major illness, and/or who aren't as statistically certain of quality and duration of life

@FUHL - for those that know your story: this doesn't apply to you. Party on! For those that don't know him I'll define the last 2 letters of his tag and leave it "as an exercise" for you to figure out the first two: (Non) Hodgkin's Lymphoma.

Last edited:

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR

Let's assume you are correct. If so then my concern lies with intelligence correlating with wise decisions.

Nobody likes to hear this because we all want "stuff," now; me too. But if I had a wish of the owner, without telling them what to do, with each piece of bling, including the JL itself I'd ask them to ask themselves:

* Do I have 6 months of cash reserves in case I fall on hard times (this is money experts talking, not me)?
* Are my kids 529B plans adequately funding for when their need the money for higher education?
* Have I adequately contributed to my retirement given my distance to retirement?

Please don't shoot the messenger; I know such financial discipline is hard. I know we have to balance living for a tomorrow that is not guaranteed with enjoying today. I know that everyone so often you have to say, "what the heck." I also want people thinking social security is going to much be there for them to not come to the rude awakening that it won't and their eating cat food, or deciding someday in retirement which of their necessary medicines they won't get filled this month.

Wranglers, despite being one of the historically slowest depreciating vehicles out there rarely appreciate in value: they depreciate, it's just a matter of degree. They are not an investment. Their accessories: they depreciate even faster. Finance the purchase and for every dollar loaned, you may be paying back multiples of it, even adjusted for Present Value.

Leasing is worse: provided it's not a business purchase that can be offset by lowering taxable income, effectively having government pay for some of it.

:like: I thought financing a vehicle was something you did in your 20s and maybe early 30s. Not trying to be to be a jerk, but I was raised to realize at some point you have to figure out life and live within your means.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
:like: I thought financing a vehicle was something you did in your 20s and maybe early 30s. Not trying to be to be a jerk, but I was raised to realize at some point you have to figure out life and live within your means.
Rob, I hereby thank you for "getting it."

Sponsored

frajnai

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S, 2011 Mustang GT
I have been reading the threads posted on this site. The verbage and content leads to me believe that Jeep owners are the more intelligent people of society. I’m honored to be part of the group
I are good brain!

W5MQS

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Wrangler Rubicon JLU; 2020 Mercedes GLB 250; 2013 Red Ford F-150 4x4
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Interventional Cardiology

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase

I paint in broad strokes here. Sure there are the owners who got their rig after surviving major illness, and/or who aren't as statistically certain of quality and duration of life

@FUHL - for those that know your story: this doesn't apply to you. Party on! For those that don't know him I'll define the last 2 letters of his tag and leave it "as an exercise" for you to figure out the first two: (Non) Hodgkin's Lymphoma.
Second this, I saw a guy over the ordering section talking about get an 84 month term car loan. I literally cringed at people's financial planing and it almost like 2008 did not teach a lesson well, and he is definitely not alone case.

In my local group, there was a guy got discharged from Army and basically burnt through all that cash on a loaded JL and motorcycle and a trip to the big easy, not even think about getting a home loan or some education. Provided he is in his 20s but guess what, he is selling the JL and motorcycle now and basically will be back to what he was before joined military.

You know good ole Murica, we free!

Jaym

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I wonder what percentage of us were intelligent enough to pay cash? Hmm...

92321549-6E93-4A38-AF15-1AFCE954A8F3.jpeg
Cash isn’t always the “smartest” move. Use your cash on hand for a return and finance at a low rate. I’m surprised at the amount of people who don’t understand this.

TXJeepScientist

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Nissan Pathfinder, 08 Honda Civic, 07 Toyota Avalon, 94 Jeep Cherokee, 10 Saab 9.3T
I remember when Nissan rolled out the 300ZX in 1990, I saw the offers to finance a vehicle for 7 years and I kinda of cringed back the almost 30 years ago.

Sponsored

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Good thing I’m only 32 then haha I own outright a home in Pensacola and have (2) rentals in NC. Make north of 150k a year. Doing pretty good. Dave Ramsey is the only person I know of that doesn’t finance anything. I guess I haven’t seen the light yet though.

PS

I financed mine. #CreativeAccounting and not in a bad way haha

Last edited:

Turfman

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Vehicle Showcase

Turfman

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Second this, I saw a guy over the ordering section talking about get an 84 month term car loan. I literally cringed at people's financial planing and it almost like 2008 did not teach a lesson well, and he is definitely not alone case.

In my local group, there was a guy got discharged from Army and basically burnt through all that cash on a loaded JL and motorcycle and a trip to the big easy, not even think about getting a home loan or some education. Provided he is in his 20s but guess what, he is selling the JL and motorcycle now and basically will be back to what he was before joined military.

You know good ole Murica, we free!
He might actually just live with mom and dad for a while! I know a vet that does this and is currently setting himself up to be married.

Yes his money could of been better spent but after what he went through in Afghanistan I cannot say I blame him! He learned real fast that life is short!

Rock crawl on vets, and thank you for your service!

Turfman

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Cash isn’t always the “smartest” move. Use your cash on hand for a return and finance at a low rate. I’m surprised at the amount of people who don’t understand this.
Yes but for a while there was not a lot of returns unless you play the stocks and that’s a gamble too! Since Jeeps hold a value just think of it a a small loss!
Sponsored