Hypalon Man

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Grand Charokee, 18JL, MB Sprinter 3500 based WGO Navion
image.jpeg
Installed the Maximus -3 tow points last weekend.
2018 JL Wrangler Sport. The installation is not exactly the same as the Rubicon
Bumper but similar in concept and execution. Just make sure you have both shallow and deep well sockets and 2, 4, and 6 inch extensions. There is plenty of wrenching.
I ordered the Blue Ox adapters too.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Pawpaw#1

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 CRV & Accord
I just finished installing the Roadmaster baseplate and used the Aux Switch #1 for my Brakebuddy. I have a homemade rack for my LED magnetic lights so did not wire for lights. Going to Myrtle Beach in the morning. I have been pulling CR-V's for 50,000 miles with no problems. I am looking forward to having the Sahara as my next toad.

xkdmFLgWSFmamXQqmhzjDg.jpg

QKiuWaXiR3aMtMh14YfDag.jpg

xkdmFLgWSFmamXQqmhzjDg.jpg

VsEdWUOGROmhcL4UsoZaEQ.jpg

Midwest22

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Has anyone here who's installed a Roadmaster tow plate to their 2018 JLU (with steel bumper) had any fitting issues? If you look at the attached photos theres a substantial gap between the sides of the tow bar and the frame of the Jeep. I could solve that with some washers since I do not want to torque the frame rails. However, with the sized of the tow bar being bent in, i cant seem to get the inner nuts on the bumper screws.

Also, I really like that Maximus 3 set up. Their site doesn't show much about this. Does anyone here know if its possible to use them for a Roadmaster tow bar?

IMG_0769.jpeg

IMG_0781.jpeg

IMG_0780.jpeg

IMG_0775.jpeg

Pawpaw#1

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 CRV & Accord
I installed the Roadmaster baseplate on my 2018 Sahara. I don't have the steel bumper but did have a problem putting the bumper back on because of the issue you are describing. I noticed the gap in the length of the baseplate but did not fill it with anything so when I torqued the plate it caused my bumper bolts to not line up. I ended up drilling out the bolt holes to get the bumper to fit. ( I wish I had used a couple of washers when I noticed the gap.)

Hypalon Man

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm slowly making progress.
Towing with 2015 Navion J Class C Mercedes Benz Sprinter 2500 Chassis, with V6 Turbo Diesel.

Maximus 3 Tow Points.
Maximus 3 Blue Ox Adapters on the tow bar.
6 Inch drop.
Blue Ox Avail Tow Bar.
RVI2 Braking System.

Hoping for Curt or Hopkins Connectorized lighting system for wiring but I have spoken to each and they don't have a release date yet.
Will have to do some splicing I guess.

20181021_113733.jpg

20181110_165903.jpg

20181110_165914.jpg

20181111_113334.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored

Ron_H

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara in Punk'n Metallic
Occupation
Retired and spending the kid's inheritance
I had flat towed my previous car close to 60K miles, behind our diesel-pusher motorhome. With our Wrangler JLUS I wanted a system that was fast and easy to connect, did not require excessive bending our getting down on a knee (back & knee issues), and did not detract from the Wrangler's back-road and off-road capabilities.

I re-used both my existing Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and fully proportional SMI Air Force One supplemental brake system.

Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar:
This model provides a 10,000 lb. capacity, far greater than the JLU's actual weight. Most tow bars require service every 10k miles and typically last about 70K miles. When this one wears out, we may replace it with a RoadMaster model that is less prone to binding when disconnecting.

SMI Air Force One supplemental brake system:
This is one of the few fully proportional supplemental brake systems and it has performed exceptionally well. It does not draw on the toad's battery and all that's required to connect it is attaching a quick-connect air hose coupler.

For light wiring and tow bar connection, I chose to depart from what I had previously used. Rather than a diode based system for lighting, I went with the air-gap wiring harness from Cooltech and I installed tow-enabled RockHard bumper to eliminate a conventional tow bar base plate.

Cooltech JL Tow Harness wiring kit:
I looked at hard wired diode based harnesses and wireless systems but finally chose to go with an air-gap wiring harness from Cooltech LLC. This system utilizes the existing JL lights but isolates itself when the tow mode toggle switch is flipped.

ROCK HARD Aluminum Patriot front bumper w/tow bar brackets:
This 37 lb. high-strength, 1/4" aluminum bumper is augmented by Blue Ox compatible tow bar connection points that bolt directly to the JLU's frame. It eliminates the hazard of protruding tow bar connection points digging in on a steep approach angle, enables an economic change to RoadMaster connection points when I switch tow bars and adds the protection of a below bumper skid plate and a winch mount capability. In addition, its design provided great options for brake hose, lighting connector, and break-away switch installation points.

The finished install is clean and super easy for connecting and disconnecting in under 3 minutes. Not only does this system look and work very well, but also enhances the Jeep's off-road capability.

Jeep Wrangler JL Best Setup for RV Flat Tow {filename}

sstuner

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Just ordered a set of Maximus -3 Tow points for my Sahara this morning and should be here this Friday. Also I already have in hand the custom wiring harness from CURT p/n 56407. https://www.curtmfg.com/part/56407

huntinjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ, 2005 TJ, 2946 CJ2A project and 2019 JLUR
Just ordered a set of Maximus -3 Tow points for my Sahara this morning and should be here this Friday. Also I already have in hand the custom wiring harness from CURT p/n 56407. https://www.curtmfg.com/part/56407
Is that wiring harness for trailer lights or for flat towing? I am waiting for Jeep to build my Jeep and need to flat tow it and keep looking for the best option for me. Thanks.

sstuner

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
It is for "flat towing" the Jeep (JL). I will install it this weekend.

Hypalon Man

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It is for "flat towing" the Jeep (JL). I will install it this weekend.
Better double check this. Looks to me like it is a setup for equipping your Jeep to tow a trailer etc.
There are many units available with diodes to splice into the wiring system for flat towing. eTrailer carries a few.

Neither Curt nor Hopkins has come out with the OEM set up for a JL yet. Supposedly later this year, maybe early 2019.

This is what I am seeking but it's not available yet for JLs.

https://www.curtmfg.com/part/58903

This is what I may end up using (assuming Curt or Hopkins doesn't get something out real soon) as I don't have the electrical cable that goes between the RV and JL.

https://www.etrailer.com/Tow-Bar-Wiring/Jeep/JL+Wrangler/2018/RM-15267.html?vehicleid=201869126

Last edited:

Sponsored

Ron_H

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara in Punk'n Metallic
Occupation
Retired and spending the kid's inheritance
The CURTMFG harness is for connecting a trailer to your Jeep, not for flat-towing a Jeep behind a motorhome. See the bold text in the following excerpt from the wiring harness description.

CURT custom wiring provides everything you need to connect your vehicle's electrical system to a trailer. With plug-and-play connectors, a custom wiring harness easily integrates with your vehicle to provide a standard trailer wiring connector, typically in the form of a 4-way flat.

This custom wiring harness features a vehicle-specific design to perfectly fit certain years of the Jeep Wrangler JL (to verify vehicle compatibility, see the CURT application guide or use the Vehicle Lookup on the CURT website). It uses OEM-compatible connectors to "T" into the vehicle's taillight assembly and provides a standard 4-way flat output to power the taillights, brake lights and turn signals on your trailer.

sstuner

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Damn, I should read the packaging better. Thanks. Sending back for refund. So what are my options?

Hypalon Man

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Damn, I should read the packaging better. Thanks. Sending back for refund. So what are my options?
https://www.etrailer.com/Tow-Bar-Wiring/Jeep/JL+Wrangler/2018/RM-15267.html?vehicleid=201869126
This is one option if you need a cable.
Look on Etrailer and put in your year and model the options will come up.
You may also consider a CoolTech solution.

https://www.cooltechllc.com/2018-je...arness-kit.html#/70-jl_tow_harness_kit-deluxe

Cooltech has a basic version and one that comes with the cable and 12vdc item for battery charging, battery charging is necessary if you are using a braking system that is drawing power.

Hypalon Man

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

E J & G

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 2.0 Turbo & 2015 Winnebago Vista 26HE
I went with the Roadmaster base plate and Roadmaster wiring kit.
I used the ReadyBrute tow bar setup and the Ready Brake break away kit

The baseplate kit was very well matched to the JL and I measured and used a hole saw the keep the shield minimally cut for a super clean install look

Sponsored