First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
They are expensive but the quality of mine is exceptional and the mere 37 lb weight is a huge advantage.][/QUOTE

What he said. Super easy to install and looks to be top notch quality.

ccrewstx

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara unlimited
Looking at the Cooltech harness and a ready brute elits brake system The brake system has 4 extra places for wires in its connector. What does the cooltech harness need wiring wise from the RV and would it work with this setup

CoolTech

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Hi ccrewstx ,

We designed the new JL Harness to be compatible with all of the aux braking devices. In short, we are aux braking device agnostic... with one notable (positive) exception. We know that there are some aux braking devices that place a light in the tow vehicle and this light illuminates whenever the Jeep's brake lights are activated. (This gives the owner confirmation that the braking device is working.) We know it is sometimes a pain for owners to find and "tap" the right wire for this and in some cases a switch must be added.

As such, the Cool Tech harness includes a "pigtail out" wire for the owner to optionally use. This wire has 12v whenever the Jeep's brake pedal is depressed... even when our switch is in the TOW position. We did this to make it easier for owners wanting this function. They don't have to hunt for the right wire to tap or add a switch - they can just tie into our wire.

Kenc

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 RAM TRX, 2020 C8 Corvette, and a Wrangler 392
Occupation
Boat Builder
Finally got around to installing the cool tech harness in my JLUR and it worked perfectly.
Thanks Cooltech for an awesome product!

429CFFC4-E7C2-496F-AFC9-5504E0CD316F.jpeg

1510B7D0-7891-43B6-8FD1-810B63E56C44.jpeg

Sponsored

Ron_H

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara in Punk'n Metallic
Occupation
Retired and spending the kid's inheritance
Finally got around to installing the cool tech harness in my JLUR and it worked perfectly.
Thanks Cooltech for an awesome product!
How was the install and how long did it take?
Any difficult areas or tips to make the install easier?

I have the same harness and have to install it in the coming weeks.

Kenc

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 RAM TRX, 2020 C8 Corvette, and a Wrangler 392
Occupation
Boat Builder
How was the install and how long did it take?
Any difficult areas or tips to make the install easier?

I have the same harness and have to install it in the coming weeks.
It took me about 4 hours. I would just follow the directions very closely. I am very mechanically inclined (to a fault sometimes) which causes me to outrun my blockers at times because I just take off with only skimming over the directions.
The only thing I will warn you of is be sure to be careful prying the plastic door sill away from the metal body. The metal was surprisingly paper thin and easily bends. Found that out the hard way.

blightle

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon (JL)
Thought I would share my latest winch and tow loop set up on my JL. Winch plate, winch hook anchor, filler trip plates, and JL tow loops from www.maximus-3.com. Winch is the Rubicon version of the Warn winch but I bought from www.moparonlineparts.com as they seemed to have the best price at the time and had it in stock.

Tow loops are not on the Maximus-3 website yet due to very limited quantities but they are heavy duty and fit great - I think they are the cleanest setup I have seen. Did not want a square-tube bar mounted under my bumper for towing. You do have to cut slots in the bottom side of the bumper but that was not too hard as long as you have a metal cutting hole saw ($10 at ACE Hardware) and a cut-off wheel for your grinder. The instructions included show using a 1.5" hole saw and making a 1.5" channel in the bottom of the bumper. With the tow loop being 5/8" thick, I chose to use a smaller 1" hole saw and cut a 1" channel and had no problems (forgot to take a picture of that).

On the winch plate install, I did have to do a little grinding on the winch plate to make it fit. Mainly because there was some excess weld on one side of the Jeep near a bracket and that bracket on the Jeep appeared to be in a slightly different location from the left side vs the right side. Maybe 1/16" different but that was enough to need to grind down the winch plate slightly so the bolt holes would line up (did not want to grind on the Jeep). Easy fix though.

Have not dealt with the towing wiring harness yet. Still debating whether to go with Cooltech's product or wait for Mopar's JL flat-tow wiring harness. No near-term RV trips so not is a huge hurry on that. Also dreading reinstalling the braking system again after pulling it out of my JK. Looks like a big pile of spaghetti now with all of the wires thrown in a box. Will need some motivation to tackle that one one of these days. Hope the included pictures give a few folks some ideas on possible towing/winch setups. I like mine.

Photo Sep 05, 10 09 30 PM.jpg

Photo Sep 05, 10 09 51 PM.jpg

Photo Sep 05, 10 09 40 PM.jpg

Photo Sep 05, 8 04 38 PM.jpg

Jlwoodward

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Thought I would share my latest winch and tow loop set up on my JL. Winch plate, winch hook anchor, filler trip plates, and JL tow loops from www.maximus-3.com. Winch is the Rubicon version of the Warn winch but I bought from www.moparonlineparts.com as they seemed to have the best price at the time and had it in stock.

Tow loops are not on the Maximus-3 website yet due to very limited quantities but they are heavy duty and fit great - I think they are the cleanest setup I have seen. Did not want a square-tube bar mounted under my bumper for towing. You do have to cut slots in the bottom side of the bumper but that was not too hard as long as you have a metal cutting hole saw ($10 at ACE Hardware) and a cut-off wheel for your grinder. The instructions included show using a 1.5" hole saw and making a 1.5" channel in the bottom of the bumper. With the tow loop being 5/8" thick, I chose to use a smaller 1" hole saw and cut a 1" channel and had no problems (forgot to take a picture of that).

On the winch plate install, I did have to do a little grinding on the winch plate to make it fit. Mainly because there was some excess weld on one side of the Jeep near a bracket and that bracket on the Jeep appeared to be in a slightly different location from the left side vs the right side. Maybe 1/16" different but that was enough to need to grind down the winch plate slightly so the bolt holes would line up (did not want to grind on the Jeep). Easy fix though.

Have not dealt with the towing wiring harness yet. Still debating whether to go with Cooltech's product or wait for Mopar's JL flat-tow wiring harness. No near-term RV trips so not is a huge hurry on that. Also dreading reinstalling the braking system again after pulling it out of my JK. Looks like a big pile of spaghetti now with all of the wires thrown in a box. Will need some motivation to tackle that one one of these days. Hope the included pictures give a few folks some ideas on possible towing/winch setups. I like mine.

How much where the tow hooks, their still not on their site, any part numbers etc please.
Thanks in advance for help

blightle

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon (JL)
I called Maximus-3 directly and ordered the JL Tow Loops over the phone. The guys there are super helpful. $199. I wanted black but they were out and only had one set of red in stock. I ordered the red and I actually glad I got the red after installing with the other red accent pieces on the front bumper.

Sponsored

JLUSoCal

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase

This looks awesome. I put the blue ox tow bar adapter on and it is WAY too low, I've hit it more than a few times. Totally willing to pull that in favor of this IF it can be adapted to BlueOx towbar.... I have a message into them to ask.

Biggest problem is going to be pulling the adapter currently on the jeep. I used red loctite and it's going to be VERY difficult to remove....

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and a '99 Camaro SS convertible I bought new
Occupation
Retired
Just do a search for Blue Ox adapters, you'll find a number of them.

Should we end up with a JL this right now is my favorite solution.

Jlwoodward

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
This looks awesome. I put the blue ox tow bar adapter on and it is WAY too low, I've hit it more than a few times. Totally willing to pull that in favor of this IF it can be adapted to BlueOx towbar.... I have a message into them to ask.

Biggest problem is going to be pulling the adapter currently on the jeep. I used red loctite and it's going to be VERY difficult to remove....
Maximus 3 that sells the tow lug actually has adapters for the blue ox bar as well. Just fyi

Hypalon Man

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Grand Charokee, 18JL, MB Sprinter 3500 based WGO Navion
In fact Maximus 3 does offer a set of tow points.
Sponsored

Last edited: