Best Setup for RV Flat Tow

Dcmtfam

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
cmcclintock...I just installed the Cool Tech harness. Was fairly straightforward install. Works awesome.

cmcclintock

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
cmcclintock...I just installed the Cool Tech harness. Was fairly straightforward install. Works awesome.
Excellent Dcmtfam - I just towed the Jeep from Fresno to Pismo Beach, CA.( 300 miles round trip). Towing & Lights(with the Cool Tech) performed perfectly. Definitely the way to go. Goodbye magnetic lights.

7F01FA3A-95B3-4156-88BC-0C8AA6D741D4.jpeg

Red Jeeper

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Jeep Wrangler
Just towed 1st 100 miles. Rock hard aluminum bumper with Blueox hitch. Also installed CoolTech wiring harness. All worked well.

C009DE08-F717-4DAE-BFEA-D38F00A23A5F.jpeg

Sponsored

CoolTech

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Man, you guys have some nice set-ups and I'm really jealous. My son is really into racing in the Spec Miata class with NASA and doing the race venues with a MH would be a whole lot nicer than the hotel scene! We're really glad the Cool Tech harness is working our well - we didn't have any doubts that it would. But the main thing is that with all of the connections in the Jeep, protected with heat shrink and out of site, it should last a lifetime! Thanks for the feedback.... and keep those rig pics coming!

Reactions: aai

Dcmtfam

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I have to agree with cool Tech. My set up is also working awesome. We keep passing the word

Dcmtfam

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
My tow set up with factory steel Rubicon bumper and rockhard Blue Ox adapter’s. Works awesome. I use the RViBrake3 along with the Cool Tech harness. Wired acc switch1 to an aux 12v plug under the driver side footwell to power my portable brake system. Are use a portable brake system because I have numerous vehicles that I tow And all I have to do is send each one up with a breakaway system by the way I only have to purchase one brake unit.

Sponsored

JLUSoCal

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
I like this but what did you do to get back to the frame - there's a bit of room that low behind the skid plate? And what tow bar will you end up using?

I'm having to abandon my Stowmaster tow bar as their baseplate is mounted inside the frame rails and I already have a winch plate in my steel bumper. Looking at moving to BlueOx's baseplate as it will not interfere with the winch plate and hold tight to the bottom of the bumper. Or so it seems. But your install is even higher and I like that.

Dcmtfam

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
1CCAE799-83D4-4115-9648-5CEE1DEC2879.jpeg
I used a 1/4” x 2” strap bent to fit from one of the bolts that’s holding on the Rock Hard Blue Ox tow tabs back to the frame. See the attached photo. The factory steel bumper and skid plate are plenty thick and attach directly to the frame and all the bolts are hardened metric equivalents of grade 8. The system is plenty strong. I also used some Blue Ox safety cables looped around the frame back out to the safety chain loop just for extra security. I have the blue ox tow bar.

JLUSoCal

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
1CCAE799-83D4-4115-9648-5CEE1DEC2879.jpeg
I used a 1/4” x 2” strap bent to fit from one of the bolts that’s holding on the Rock Hard Blue Ox tow tabs back to the frame. See the attached photo. The factory steel bumper and skid plate are plenty thick and attach directly to the frame and all the bolts are hardened metric equivalents of grade 8. The system is plenty strong. I also used some Blue Ox safety cables looped around the frame back out to the safety chain loop just for extra security. I have the blue ox tow bar.

I like that - you have me tempted for the "clean look"! Can / did you put that strap on both sides to connect to the frame rail? By that I mean 2 straps per side? Also, any limitations on the "up travel" of the bar for dips? I would think not and you'd notice it hitting the underside of the bumper.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Dcmtfam

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I just put one on the outside of both the drivers and passenger side. There is no up-and-down limitation of the movement of the towbar. It’s not really necessary I just put it there for a little bit of added comfort in my own mind. The whole set up is similar to one that’s offered by Currie Enterprises for the JK. I have also used the light wiring kit from Cool Tech. It was pretty easy to install and totally bypasses all of the JL’s electronics.

Dcmtfam

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
FYI…I used a five pole plug because it fit better on the flat spot on the factory skid plate. That gave me four poles for lights one pole for battery charge. The six pole plug was too large and did not want to sit flat on the skid plate. I drilled a hole of the proper size to mount the breakaway box on the backside of the skid plate. Then I drilled two holes in the skid plate and used short self tapping screws to screw into the quick disconnect box. I think it made for a pretty clean look.
Sponsored