DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Because the Physics of a rock getting thrown forward into a rear window thats traveling at 75 MPH is highly unlikely.
It happens all the time. Unlikely is not equal to impossible. It happens.
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
This thread is a poster child for ... the importance in having low or no deductible window glass coverage.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
It happens all the time. Unlikely is not equal to impossible. It happens.
How does "unlikely" become "all the time" ? I go with the manufacturer's defect theory .

Sponsored

duc135

First Name
Duc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
A tire can kick up a pebble and throw it forward, but only forward of the wheel (or more specifically, forward of the release point of the pebble from the tire which could be rear/up/downwards relative to the vehicle body). It can not throw the pebble backwards behind the vehicle then curve it forward to strike the rear windshield unless the pebble was shaped like a boomerang. The only thing I can think of is the air turbulence behind the vehicle at 75MPH could push the pebble upwards and forward into the rear windshield.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
How does "unlikely" become "all the time" ? I go with the manufacturer's defect theory .
How many millions of cars are on the road? It is rare for an individual.

Hey, let's all say it is a defect. Good luck convincing Jeep of that, unless they already know of an issue.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
A tire can kick up a pebble and throw it forward, but only forward of the wheel (or more specifically, forward of the release point of the pebble from the tire which could be rear/up/downwards relative to the vehicle body). It can not throw the pebble backwards behind the vehicle then curve it forward to strike the rear windshield unless the pebble was shaped like a boomerang. The only thing I can think of is the air turbulence behind the vehicle at 75MPH could push the pebble upwards and forward into the rear windshield.
It can bounce. It can have an odd shape that causes its path to veer. Crazy shit happens. My JK threw one WAY out in front. It bounced several times and kept going to where I lost sight of it. The rock that broke my current JL windshield was unseen and unheard, but the impact point is clear and right in front of me. Neither of my boys saw it or heard it, either.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Reality is, you will play hell trying to get FCA to agree it was a problem with the glass that caused it to break. You can try.... FCA may even throw you a bone so to speak and pay for the repair.

Reality is it is easier / more expedient to just file a claim with your insurance and get it fixed.

duc135

First Name
Duc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
It can bounce. It can have an odd shape that causes its path to veer. Crazy shit happens. My JK threw one WAY out in front. It bounced several times and kept going to where I lost sight of it. The rock that broke my current JL windshield was unseen and unheard, but the impact point is clear and right in front of me. Neither of my boys saw it or heard it, either.
Yes, it can bounce. In your case it was your front windshield which is MUCH more probable as the pebble is thrown forward into the path of the moving vehicle. Here it's the rear windshield and the vehicle would be moving away from the path of the pebble and not towards it. I'm not saying it's impossible, just highly improbable unless we know what kind of wind turbulence there is behind the JL going at 75MPH or find that boomerang shaped pebble.

Sponsored

OP
OP
MountainGurl

MountainGurl

First Name
Laurie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Reality is, you will play hell trying to get FCA to agree it was a problem with the glass that caused it to break. You can try.... FCA may even throw you a bone so to speak and pay for the repair.

Reality is it is easier / more expedient to just file a claim with your insurance and get it fixed.
AND... then shell out an extra $1K on top of massive moving and house-selling expenses... I WILL SAY IT LOUD AND PROUD. JEEP SUCKS.

OP
OP
MountainGurl

MountainGurl

First Name
Laurie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
FCA has chosen not to respond to/to ignore the warranty repair request from my dealer which includes my consumer warranty claim number. It's been four days. They usually respond within two. I think they are just waiting me out.

And so, my claim is still open but I have to get the rear window of my Jeep fixed anyway. Sahara CJDR did NOT provide me with a loaner, car, only an overnight car that proved to be more trouble than it was worth because I drove it back to our apartment then the next day my boyfriend had to get up early to drive me way across town to the Enterprise next to Sahara CDJR to return it before spending the rest of his long day and night on his feet at a trade show.

I've been driving his truck since he was at the show the last three days, but now he's going to need his car for work next week and so... I had to pull my broken Rubi out of cold storage at at the dealership because I need my car back! So I'm out another $1K on top of moving and house-selling expenses, could not be a worse time.

I'm not going to drop the matter but once I fix the window myself Jeep has even less reason to even pretend that I ever filed a warranty claim. I hope it doesn't happen again. THIS AT LEAST NEEDS TO BE DOCUMENTED. AND JEEP SHOULD PAY FOR IT.

I am so disgusted with all three Jeep dealers I have interacted with, and FCA for COMPLETELY IGNORING my warranty claim, that I am seriously considering selling the Rubi, taking my losses, buying the Toyota Tacoma that was my second choice, and sincerely hating Jeep in my heart of hearts for the rest of my life.

Thinking about that. Jeep has a LONG WAY TO GO to earn my trust FOR THE FIRST TIME.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
FCA has chosen not to respond to/to ignore the warranty repair request from my dealer which includes my consumer warranty claim number. It's been four days. They usually respond within two. I think they are just waiting me out.

And so, my claim is still open but I have to get the rear window of my Jeep fixed anyway. Sahara CJDR did NOT provide me with a loaner, car, only an overnight car that proved to be more trouble than it was worth because I drove it back to our apartment then the next day my boyfriend had to get up early to drive me way across town to the Enterprise next to Sahara CDJR to return it before spending the rest of his long day and night on his feet at a trade show.

I've been driving his truck since he was at the show the last three days, but now he's going to need his car for work next week and so... I had to pull my broken Rubi out of cold storage at at the dealership because I need my car back! So I'm out another $1K on top of moving and house-selling expenses, could not be a worse time.

I'm not going to drop the matter but once I fix the window myself Jeep has even less reason to even pretend that I ever filed a warranty claim. I hope it doesn't happen again. THIS AT LEAST NEEDS TO BE DOCUMENTED. AND JEEP SHOULD PAY FOR IT.

I am so disgusted with all three Jeep dealers I have interacted with, and FCA for COMPLETELY IGNORING my warranty claim, that I am seriously considering selling the Rubi, taking my losses, buying the Toyota Tacoma that was my second choice, and sincerely hating Jeep in my heart of hearts for the rest of my life.

Thinking about that. Jeep has a LONG WAY TO GO to earn my trust FOR THE FIRST TIME.
File a report with NHTSA to document the problem with them.

Others should do the same.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, it can bounce. In your case it was your front windshield which is MUCH more probable as the pebble is thrown forward into the path of the moving vehicle. Here it's the rear windshield and the vehicle would be moving away from the path of the pebble and not towards it. I'm not saying it's impossible, just highly improbable unless we know what kind of wind turbulence there is behind the JL going at 75MPH or find that boomerang shaped pebble.
Ok, so I guess that's less probable than the window just blowing up and shattering for no reason. Got it.

Btw, rocks cracking windshields are often going the same direction as the vehicle they hit, too. Watch one when it falls off a dump truck and you hit it. That's how I lost my JK windshield.

duc135

First Name
Duc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Ok, so I guess that's less probable than the window just blowing up and shattering for no reason. Got it.

Btw, rocks cracking windshields are often going the same direction as the vehicle they hit, too. Watch one when it falls off a dump truck and you hit it. That's how I lost my JK windshield.
Yes, I pebble coming off a vehicle will still travel in the same direction as the vehicle it fell from. Often at the same speed as the vehicle. That's just simple physics. The only reason its forward momentum will decrease is if another force was acting against its direction of travel. That would be the friction of the air. However, the pebble will not increase in speed to strike the rear windshield unless another force is placed on it. In this case, it could have been air turbulence or it striking one of the bicycles in the rack behind the Jeep. In that case, the pebble might still be in the rear of the Jeep somewhere if it came at a straight enough angle with the windshield.

I'm not saying this is impossible. It's just highly unlikely, but is could very well be the cause. It could just as likely that the rear tailgate is not perfectly aligned so that when the windshield was glued to the tailgate, it was already in a high stress state. A simple bump in the road could have caused the glass to shatter. Just because the presence of the majority of the glass inside the rear does not necessarily indicate that the impact was from the outside coming in. As I had mentioned before, the air turbulence from the rear at that speed could have created an air stream pushing the shattered pieces of glass inward.
Sponsored