Sponsored

Lockers... when I want them, not when Mopar says I can.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Does anyone know where the relays are for the lockers on new rubi, I wanna do a bypass switch for the lockers. A couple of occasions I wish I was locked up in 4 hi , I’m wondering if I could use auxiliary switch and not have to put in after market switches ? Anyone tried this yet? I’ve been informed they’ve been doing it for years on the jk’s.
Sponsored

Reactions: kit

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
Does anyone know where the relays are for the lockers on new rubi, I wanna do a bypass switch for the lockers. A couple of occasions I wish I was locked up in 4 hi , I’m wondering if I could use auxiliary switch and not have to put in after market switches ? Anyone tried this yet? I’ve been informed they’ve been doing it for years on the jk’s.
I think the Tazer has the capability of doing what you want.

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
From the recent posts on the topic in the Tazer thread.....it doesn't appear so unfortunately.
Thanks for the heads up. I’ve been on the fence about the Tazer.

Titan2727

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
:cwl:as if mopar just randomly came up with there specs. By pass there instruction and you WILL start breaking sh*t.

Question is: but why?

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
:cwl:as if mopar just randomly came up with there specs. By pass there instruction and you WILL start breaking sh*t.

Question is: but why?
That’s the philosophical question we (oem) deal with all the time. Do you design for the stupid driver or for the one that knows what he’s doing? More and more it is for the stupid driver to the annoyance of the people that know how to use the tools.
Plenty of examples of both on this forum.
Some complain about added electronics and stuff like the auto park in the automatic and at the same time someone complained that their manual transmission didn’t tell on the display what gear you are on and when to shift. :facepalm:

Sponsored

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
The relays are probably located in the power distrodistri module under the hood. The switch is part of the ECU.

You could also just bypass the whole ECU system and just write it up your own like any other e locker.

The docs for the tazer claim you can with their system I haven't tested it yet. But I think the process is to go 4l, engage lockers, use tazer to disable lockers in the ECU, then the lockers will retain their state when you shift it of 4l.

But the bigger question is why you want to do this? I have been off road in Jeeps with lockers for over 10 years now and never once needed or know anyone that has needed locked axles in high range maybe minus mud boggers and rock bouncers. And for on sbowy/wet roads use the traction control system it will handle a million times better than a full locker.

Sean K.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, TJ, 4Runner, Cummins tow rig, 2 Tube Frame Buggies, Lotus SC Elise, Mazda 3, RAV4 Hybrid
The docs for the tazer claim you can with their system I haven't tested it yet. But I think the process is to go 4l, engage lockers, use tazer to disable lockers in the ECU, then the lockers will retain their state when you shift it of 4l.
Please try it with the Tazer and let us know if it works (jack it up and make sure both tires rotate the same direction by hand is the easiest way). Others were saying the function was only for aftermarket lockers.

But the bigger question is why you want to do this? I have been off road in Jeeps with lockers for over 10 years now and never once needed or know anyone that has needed locked axles in high range maybe minus mud boggers and rock bouncers. And for on sbowy/wet roads use the traction control system it will handle a million times better than a full locker.
I've run auto lockers, selectables and full spools for 22+ years and obviously the full time auto lockers worked in 2H and 4H....there weren't any unmanageable drawbacks. Obviously a spool (which is what a selectable is when locked) wouldn't be advisable on pavement...though I've run around Moab (around town as well as on the slickrock/pavement-like trails) with full spools in the rear for years with no issues there either other than barking tires and increased tire wear.

I think the nannies at Jeep are making more of the ability to lock in high range than is really warranted. It is likely the safety liability of someone running 4H in snow/ice/wet conditions and locking the front reducing handling and blaming Jeep for not "protecting them" from themselves. Not to mention the potential problem of someone trying to lock the locker at a high rate of speed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Roky

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Why I want them is irrelevant, the fact is it would be nice to be locked up going faster than 5 miles an hour. And I’ve been wheeling for 40 years just not with this computer assist shit, we got out locked the hubs in and went up a tree, simple as that. But I have to conform to the way things are now, so that’s why my post for help.

Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
From the recent posts on the topic in the Tazer thread.....it doesn't appear so unfortunately.
You must not be looking at the right thread. Joe just added this capability:

I did release a new version of the Tazer JL family yesterday, the Tazer JL mini which is simply a Tazer JL Lite that’s pre-activated to have the full Tazer JL feature set.

The new firmware update, which is nearing completion, will have locker control in both 2WD and 4Hi, and will work as if it were included by the factory, using the locker buttons and the correct dash messages and display.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/tazerjl-feature-requests.13901/page-2

Shenanigans

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubi
Made even worse in a Rubicon. The old 2.72:1 NV241 tcase gear was actually pretty good in the dunes. Precisely why I like dual cases in my rigs....at least then you have options.
Yep. I was actually referring to the rubicon. The low range in my old fj paired with the auto trans was awesome on the dunes. Unfortunately I’ve had either 4:1, 4.3:1, or 5:1 low range in my last few vehicles. The last one that I built should have went for the 4 speed atlas.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
So just read it...when is the firmware actually going to be updated though?
@joe@zauto? Any ETA on your new firmware with 4H locker support?

Sean, I’ve no affiliation with ZAuto so I’ve nothing to gain by plugging their product, but I’ll tell you that the Tazer is awesome. (Support for it is also top-notch.)

Nam_Luu

First Name
Nam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
matrixvisual.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Firecracker Red
Occupation
Entertainment Production Technician
I had my JLUR at Glamis this weekend. Wish I was locked up in 2H and 4H out there in Glamis, it wouldnt of needed since I tore up Glamis in it regardless, but it would of been a different style of Dune carving if I had the rear locked up to get the ass out.

Badweissenbier

First Name
Bad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Billet JLUR
I will agree the nannies shouldn’t be involved, my f150 will let me lock up the rear in 2 hi. It’s super nice at times like when I’m climbing a gravel driveway or something where 4wd isn’t needed but you don’t want wheel spin.
Sponsored

Reactions: kit