Sponsored

Just Stone Me: Any way to turn ESS ON when I want?

Darter02

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ronlutzii-photographer.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Occupation
Photographer
I know everyone hates the ESS and there are many methods of disabling it, from pushing the off button to rewiring the batteries.

I have a unique need. I take a lot of photography and one of the genres is wildlife. There are many times I've spotted an animal/bird/whatever as I'm driving.

I keep a long lensed camera hanging between my front seats in a homemade sling. When I stop and the ESS kicks on it makes it nicer to shoot out my windows.

Naturally the sound disturbing the subject is part of my wanting to turn ESS on, the main reason is so that I can HEAR better.

I can get get pretty focused on what I'm doing. I like being able to easily hear other vehicles coming. Usually I'm on rural gravel roads but it's very hilly/twisting terrain and I've been caught by surprise before. Silence is good.

So, and I know that this is counter to everything in the forums here, is there a way to wire the ESS to an AUX switch or somewhere that can turn the ESS on?

I don't want to just shutdown the vehicle using the ignition. I may have to shoot and scoot and it also disconnects the bluetooth connection between my phone and system.

Jeep Wrangler JL Just Stone Me: Any way to turn ESS ON when I want? RL2_3098_2020_07_17_Sandhill Cranes

Jeep Wrangler JL Just Stone Me: Any way to turn ESS ON when I want? RL2_2997_Tȟatȟáŋka

Jeep Wrangler JL Just Stone Me: Any way to turn ESS ON when I want? PXL_20201123_220314587.MP
Sponsored

Tellurian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm not quite sure if there is a way to force it on because the ESS needs certain criteria checked off prior to it shutting off the engine. You would need something to override the software that checks these conditions.

Possible Reasons The Engine Does Not Autostop
Prior to engine shut down, the system will check many safety and comfort conditions to see if they are fulfilled. Detailed information about the operation of the Stop/Start system may be viewed in the instrument cluster display Stop/Start Screen. In the following situations, the engine will not stop:

Driver’s seat belt is not buckled.
Driver’s door is not closed.
Battery temperature is too warm or cold.
Battery charge is low.
The vehicle is on a steep grade.
Cabin heating or cooling is in process and an acceptable cabin temperature has not been
achieved.
HVAC is set to full defrost mode at a high blower speed.
HVAC set to MAX A/C.
Engine has not reached normal operating temperature.
Engine temperature too high.
The transmission is not in a forward gear (assuming you have an AT)
Hood is open.
Transfer case is in 4L or Neutral.
Brake pedal is not pressed with sufficient pressure.

Side bar - Great photos! Was the picture of the Bison taken in Custer State Park by chance?

OP
OP
Darter02

Darter02

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Photographer
Side bar - Great photos! Was the picture of the Bison taken in Custer State Park by chance?
Thanks for the details in how the system works. I see a few items on that list that keep it from turning on when I wish it would. I'll have to start training myself on how to engage it when I want, if I can? Just learn to meet the requirements? Maybe I'll create a checklist... LOL

As for the bison, it was taken not far from our home in Wisconsin. We live in the southern Driftless Area. That means, it's not been bulldozed by massive glaciers like most of the state. There are a number of prairie restoration and remnants around. By focusing on photographing them I spend a lot of time exploring. I found a ranch with a sizable herd only twenty minutes away. 🦬

Basically, I use my Wrangler as a mobile photography platform.

PXL_20201118_194907049.jpg

RL2_7628_Thomson Memorial Prairie.jpeg

RL2_3719_Glancing Back.jpeg

RL2_2405_2020_07_21_Schurch-Thomson Prairie.jpeg

RL2_4792_2020_07_29_Schurch-Thomson Prairie.jpeg

RL2_5363__Schurch-Thomson Prairie.jpeg

RL2_3157_Tȟatȟáŋka.jpeg

Tellurian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh wow, that's fantastic. Back in September, I took two weeks off and traveled out that way because I wanted to see two things: Mount Rushmore, and Bison. I ended up heading north into Michigan so that I could see the Upper Peninsula and cut through Wisconsin. I have to say, Wisconsin's beauty blew my mind and it was one of my favorite stops during the trip. I had planned to stay in Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest but severe weather pushed me south but still north of Black River Falls.

Great photos BTW! I'm a big fan of the Ocean Blue as well, but recognize I'm a little bias...

Jeep Wrangler JL Just Stone Me: Any way to turn ESS ON when I want? IMG_1662

Sponsored

OP
OP
Darter02

Darter02

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Photographer
Get the Wrangler 4Xe.
While I hear you, I buy Wranglers and then keep them for a long time. This is my third. I had a 1989, a 2004 and now a 2019. It will be a while before I get another. It does look interesting, but so does the diesel, and the 392...

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
While I hear you, I buy Wranglers and then keep them for a long time. This is my third. I had a 1989, a 2004 and now a 2019. It will be a while before I get another. It does look interesting, but so does the diesel, and the 392...
The diesel clatter wouldn’t let you get within 100 feet of a deaf bird.

OP
OP
Darter02

Darter02

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Photographer
I would be TOTALLY throwing out my current usage of my vehicle, yes. But I just drove to Portland and back, towing a packed 6x6x12 trailer from there home. (Fire evacuation of a senior) The diesel would have been sweet. 😎

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
Thanks for the details in how the system works. I see a few items on that list that keep it from turning on when I wish it would. I'll have to start training myself on how to engage it when I want, if I can? Just learn to meet the requirements? Maybe I'll create a checklist... LOL

As for the bison, it was taken not far from our home in Wisconsin. We live in the southern Driftless Area. That means, it's not been bulldozed by massive glaciers like most of the state. There are a number of prairie restoration and remnants around. By focusing on photographing them I spend a lot of time exploring. I found a ranch with a sizable herd only twenty minutes away. 🦬

Basically, I use my Wrangler as a mobile photography platform.

OP I have another sidebar question for you. The Decal on the side of your Jeep reads either "Aptal" or "Aplal" in Hindi (antenna blocks the second last letter in the pic). Possible to know where you got that Decal from? I am trying to get some Decals in my native language (Punjabi - another of the Indian Languages that is written very similarly to Hindi).

Secondly what does the Decal mean?

GREAT pictures btw!

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
Same with the 392. That seems to be a loud rumbler also!

The 4xe seems to be good but someone in a thread showed that it costs $82k before taxes and fees. Umm....no thanks. Guess I will keep my 2020 JLUR 3.6 without eTorque and that smooth 8 speed.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Darter02

Darter02

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Photographer
Ummm... maybe just push this button when you stop to take your picture??

Jeep Wrangler JL Just Stone Me: Any way to turn ESS ON when I want? 1606334885792
Like I said, I don't want to delay getting moving anymore than I have to, and the bluetooth disconnects. While that last is not a huge issue, it's distracting.

OP
OP
Darter02

Darter02

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Photographer
OP I have another sidebar question for you. The Decal on the side of your Jeep reads either "Aptal" or "Aplal" in Hindi (antenna blocks the second last letter in the pic). Possible to know where you got that Decal from? I am trying to get some Decals in my native language (Punjabi - another of the Indian Languages that is written very similarly to Hindi).

Secondly what does the Decal mean?

GREAT pictures btw!
Very close! It's sanskrit for the name of an accident dragon from Asia called "Apalāla."

Before the pandemic my clients included the nearby Tibetan Monastery that the 14th Dalia Lama set up here in the 1980's. I actually got to get to greet His Holiness the last time he visited. While not Buddhist, I appreciate having monks in my life.

I also used to shoot sports, with a focus on amateur boxing. I took photos for the Wisconsin Golden Gloves and we had one National Champion make the 2020 Olympics with Team USA.

Fitness photography is another genre I've had to set aside for a while. Currently I'm focused on nature and other solo shooting gigs.

Edited to add: Pixeldecal here in the forums makes all stuff. The boar on the door is my custom celtic pig.

Jeep Wrangler JL Just Stone Me: Any way to turn ESS ON when I want? RL2_0684_Kyabje-Yongzin-Ling-Rinpoche_2019_07_09

Jeep Wrangler JL Just Stone Me: Any way to turn ESS ON when I want? RL2_7029_WI-Golden-Gloves-Boxing_2019_03_16 copy

Jeep Wrangler JL Just Stone Me: Any way to turn ESS ON when I want? RL2_8224_Lindsay-Guerra_2018-10-24

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Like I said, I don't want to delay getting moving anymore than I have to, and the bluetooth disconnects. While that last is not a huge issue, it's distracting.
OK, I didn't catch the bluetooth part. You really are in a bind then because so much needs to be happening for the ESS to work. Even if it kicks off for you all it takes it bumping the steering wheel enough and it will kick on.
On the surface your idea of wiring it to an aux switch sounds good but I think you might be playing with fire there because you are bypassing the computer.
Pressing the start/stop button twice is the only option I can think of. This will turn the Jeep off but then put your BT back connected.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Add to the list: your front wheels need to be straight. If they’re turned, the ESS doesn’t engage because the jeep assumes you’re about to make a left turn in front of traffic (or possibly some other reason like the power draw required to straighten the wheels).

edit: amazing pictures by the way, especially that last one;):involve:
Sponsored