gurneyeagle

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Audi TT RS and 2017 Audi Q3
Total newb here so please excuse what many will think is a dumb question -

Should there be any problems with a JL Sport four door with the available off road tires and limited slip diff driving on a beach? Saint Augustine, FL to be exact. The beach at Saint Augustine requires 4WD/AWD. The sand is loose and gets rutted sometimes. It's strictly a one way path that you pull off of to park near the dunes. I don't think they let you get close to the water.

My wife and I just moved down here, and want to get a 4WD or AWD vehicle. Lots of different opinions on the net depending what forum you are reading at the time. Some say a Wrangler is the worse thing for loose sand unless you get massive off road tires, but I really struggle to believe that based on the vehicles I've seen on the beach.

Also looking at a Toyota Tacoma 4WD and a Subaru Outback AWD.

Thanks all!
Sponsored

johnnymiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
you want to make sure you don't buy mud tires thinking you need traction.. soft sand is best driven on with non-aggressive tread...think passenger car tire tread. the trick here is to NOT dig in, but to float on top.
air down to 15psi to spread the tire out and give more float. 15psi will give you the float you want but shouldn't pop a bead.
don't use the brake... just lift off the gas and it will stop on its own. again, you don't want to dig in.

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI

Should there be any problems with a JL Sport four door with the available off road tires and limited slip diff driving on a beach? Saint Augustine, FL to be exact. The beach at Saint Augustine requires 4WD/AWD. The sand is loose and gets rutted sometimes. It's strictly a one way path that you pull off of to park near the dunes. I don't think they let you get close to the water.

My wife and I just moved down here, and want to get a 4WD or AWD vehicle. Lots of different opinions on the net depending what forum ......

Thanks all!
The Jeep or the Taco either one will outperform the Subaru.
And Johnnymiz is right on the money with his advise.

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
‘Merica
Done Outer Banks on the All-Season Setup for the Sahara JLU, deflated to 18, easy day. Sand was easily 10” deep in many stretches and had to get out of the single driving lane to allow passing/oncoming. No issues. No lift, stock Sahara wheels/tires.

Sponsored

keviper

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler Winter Edition
Air your tires down to 16 - 20 PSI and enjoy the ride.

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
‘Merica
F31E2679-753C-47FD-8C59-C8B69879BFE6.jpeg
Done Outer Banks on the All-Season Setup for the Sahara JLU, deflated to 18, easy day. Sand was easily 10” deep in many stretches and had to get out of the single driving lane to allow passing/oncoming. No issues. No lift, stock Sahara wheels/tires.

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Whoever said Jeeps are bad in the sand has a definite bias against them for some reason. Most of the sand recoveries I've seen were done by Jeeps, usually pulling out a huge manhood compensator diesel.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@gurneyeagle

I do Daytona Beach and St. Augustine Beach driving quite often. Have done so for well over 25 years. Those public beach drives are lets say real tame. Stay on packed areas. Yes, where you park is the problem more often then not.

No need to air down BUT, BUT, do know if you get stuck, don't sit there and spin, spin til your vehicle is axle deep.

If you get stuck then immediately air down and get unstuck. You'll undoubtedly drive right out. 9 times out of 10 there is somebody nearby that will gladly air you up again with their onboard compressor.

If no one is around, air down, get unstuck and away from the incoming tide and call 911. Beach patrol will send someone to assist... to air you back up. Helps if you can tell 911 where abouts you are.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
On YouTube, seems the majority of the vehicles in the drive on the beach videos are Wranglers.
At St. Augustine and Daytona Beach, they are driving on the beach with everything ...bicycle, scooters, motorcycles, mini vans, pickups, Porsches,Vettes, Maseratis, Jeeps, you name it. 8-)

Jeep Beach in Daytona Beach every year is a real spectacle if you are into Wranglers! Hundreds and hundreds parading down the beach ... The Wrangler's take over then............

Ellbee

First Name
Lynn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Granite, 2004 Jeep Unlimited LJ Black
I have driven a Wrangler on the beach for many years. My beach Jeep now is a 04 LJ, that has never been stuck on the beach. We have sand that is sometime dry and 2 ft deep and my little mule has pulled out many many 3/4 and 1 ton Trucks of all makes. Some of them buried to the axles after spinning. Some of them 4x4. Whoever says a Jeep is not good for sand is mistaken. Usually don’t even have to put it in 4lo. Enjoy.

Dadawada

First Name
Barrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited, 2020 Honda Goldwing Bagger
Occupation
Network Technology Executive
Vehicle Showcase

My wife and I just moved down here, and want to get a 4WD or AWD vehicle. Lots of different opinions on the net depending what forum you are reading at the time. Some say a Wrangler is the worse thing for loose sand unless you get massive off road tires, but I really struggle to believe that based on the vehicles I've seen on the beach.

Thanks all!
Couple of things:

1) I just traded my 2016 Subaru Crosstrek Hybrid (yes, no longer made) Touring for my new Rubicon. I was amazed where that Crosstrek would go. Air down the tires and that 8.7" of ground clearance worked well in deep sand. Car was so light and that AWD system is legendary. Still I would get the Jeep...a lot more fun and much more off-road capable in other areas.

2) I always carry a tire compressor. I even have tiny ones on my GS Adventure bike that plug in to the bike. You air down bikes just like vehicles off road. In fact, I just picked up a heavy duty one just for the jeep. Comes in a little black duffle bag and will fully inflate a Jeep tire in about 3 minutes. When you go off-road, you air down. When you come back you air back up in the parking lot before hitting the road.

SWIRVN

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon (ordered)
I live in St. Augustine too and I assume your referring to the A street entrance. You will have no problem with the Jeep.
Sponsored