Sponsored

Driving on the beach - lower tire air pressure?

Elsinore73

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
it’s also worth noting that even if your truck CAN drive on the beach without airing down it also causes ruts in the sand that certainly won’t make life easier on the next guy. Tread Lightly and air down. Some access points have compressors to air back up, some like Gilgo do not. I also just because it has compressors don’t trust them to have hoses or functioning inflation fittings. I have a Viair 400P. Clips directly to the battery, skip the air hose lines and control your own destiny.

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
Yes air down!

Take recovery gear and its always best to go with another vehicle so you can help each other if needed.

We measure tyre pressure when they are cold. My correct pressure is 36psi. When the tyres are warm it will always be higher than that.

So after driving on the beach and I air up, 36 is cannot possibly be right. After testing I have learnt that it is 39. Then , the next morning, I check the tyre pressure and increase or decrease to exactly 36.

Sponsored

JLUCQ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392
I've never driven on the NY beaches, but here on Cape Cod airing down is a hardcore requirement with giant signs and if you ever had to be towed off the beach for not airing down your Jeep would be strung up out front of the beach entrance next to the great white shark warning sign for seagulls to pick at as a warning and example to other off-roaders.
LOL I got stuck at Race Point this Summer running 16 psi. Little digging, aired down a little more and drove right out. I'll have to go a bit lower next time to start.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
My requisite comment for any soft sand thread:

4 wheel high and 15 psi

Just follow that little rhyme and you should be fine. I never mess with traction control and haven't had a problem yet. But always, ALWAYS carry a shovel and plank with you when oversanding.

OP
OP
TOo2kl

TOo2kl

First Name
Tracey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 80th Ann 4X$
Lower them tires to 15-18 PSI and not worry about anything and just enjoy.

In fact, I did just that this afternoon out on Nauset Spit on Cape Cod!

Jeep Wrangler JL Driving on the beach - lower tire air pressure? IMG_0545.JPG
Thank you looks awesome!

OP
OP
TOo2kl

TOo2kl

First Name
Tracey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 80th Ann 4X$
welcome to the forum and congrats on your new jl. as for the dealer comments. i would not take any advice from them. just my opinion. you are better off getting valuable info on the forum or local folks that know what best.

the purpose of airing down is to give you a wider foot print to "float" on top of a sandy surface. also the wider foot print will give you better traction on snowy, muddy and rocky terrain. this will help in preventing a greater chance in digging in to the terrain which will lead you to getting stuck.

now here's something to keep in mind. while driving aired down, you can be at a higher risk in popping the tire off the rim if you are not careful. when aired down you are driving in a slow mode. the simple thing is to ask the locals on the beach as to what tire pressure is good for the current terrain.

get yourself a descent tire gauge (analog) and a small air compressor. that is more than enough for your need.
THANK YOU. Do you have a favorite air compressor?

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
@TOo2kl

i dont have a favorite air compressor. but if i was looking for one, i look for a good quality one at a low price. i have a small portable one from Campbell Hausfeld. i picked it up at walmart for $20. campbell is a good name, but i wasnt sure how well they last. well i'm still using it 25 years later. its getting a little worn out. its small enough that it fits nicely in the cargo hole in the back of the jl.

Roadrunner71

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 4xe
I have driven on LI and OBX beaches and I always air down to 20ish. Also … carry a shovel, tow rope/snatch strap and a thick board for your jack in case you need it. Go out the first few times when there are a lot of other Jeeps & trucks on the beach. If you get stuck it’s nice to have some help and you’ll find that most people are willing to help.
Sponsored