Sponsored

Driving on the beach - lower tire air pressure?

TOo2kl

First Name
Tracey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 80th Ann 4X$
Just bought an 80th Anniversary Addition Wrangler. Dealer said there is no need to lower air pressure to drive on the Long Island Beaches. True or false? Thank you
Sponsored

LoveBugJL

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2012 JLU Shara
I'm in WA state and we drive on the beach occasionally. Unless the conditions on Long Island beaches are all uniform (unlikely), I don't think you can make a generalization that you don't need to air down (or that you do for that matter). Airing down, if you don't go too low (less than 20psi) will for sure give you more traction, will give you a smoother ride and is usually a good idea if you are unsure if you will need that additional traction. The only downside to airing down is the time and effort to do it and having the ability to air back up before you do any significant on road driving as it is not safe to do significant driving on pavement while you are aired down. If you are going to air down, and there is not a handy place to air back up nearby, you want to make sure you have an air compressor or pressurized tank to air back up. You can get a reasonably priced but durable portable air compressor at Costco or other outlets. After you drive your new jeep wrangler a little more off road and on the beaches you want to visit in particular, you will have a better feel for when / if you should air down first.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
welcome to the forum and congrats on your new jl. as for the dealer comments. i would not take any advice from them. just my opinion. you are better off getting valuable info on the forum or local folks that know what best.

the purpose of airing down is to give you a wider foot print to "float" on top of a sandy surface. also the wider foot print will give you better traction on snowy, muddy and rocky terrain. this will help in preventing a greater chance in digging in to the terrain which will lead you to getting stuck.

now here's something to keep in mind. while driving aired down, you can be at a higher risk in popping the tire off the rim if you are not careful. when aired down you are driving in a slow mode. the simple thing is to ask the locals on the beach as to what tire pressure is good for the current terrain.

get yourself a descent tire gauge (analog) and a small air compressor. that is more than enough for your need.

Elsinore73

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
You should air down. I am on Long Island as well and usually drive out on gilgo or democrat point. I have driven my wife’s Acura MDX aired down to 15# around much more capable trucks stuck in the sand because they didn’t air down. I went around a raptor buried to the chassis this summer, in an MDX (can’t wait to get a permit for my JL in the spring). Buy a portable air compressor and air down. Also saves the beach for the guy behind you and as noted above is required. Enjoy your jeep!

Sponsored

Dgr401

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Sport S - Granite Crystal
Occupation
Retired
Beach conditions can change from one day to the next and if you did all right today not airing down doesn’t mean you will be all right not airing down tomorrow. Airing down after you get stuck may not help. From what I have read most of the beaches on Long Island have air stations making it very easy to air up (still good to have your own). I always air down when I go on the beach. Good luck with your new JL.

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
Just bought an 80th Anniversary Addition Wrangler. Dealer said there is no need to lower air pressure to drive on the Long Island Beaches. True or false? Thank you
I am on Long Island (Deer Park). Who is your dealer?

I always air down to 15 or 20 PSI and then drive 4LO on Smith Point or the Sore Thumb. Have a 2011 Pathfinder also that I took on the Sore Thumb three summers ago with four of my friends. Did not air down and stayed in 4Hi. Ended up overheating the engine and embarrassing myself to these Ladies in a JKU that helped me out and told me I needed to air down. They were going home after a day at the beach. They gave me and my friends a few beers from their cooler and told us we need to wait and let the engine cool down before getting off the beach (could be a while). Never again. I was lucky that no serious damage was done to my engine and the Pathfinder still runs like a champ to this day. Needless to say, the dealer needs some education.

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
You should air down. I am on Long Island as well and usually drive out on gilgo or democrat point. I have driven my wife’s Acura MDX aired down to 15# around much more capable trucks stuck in the sand because they didn’t air down. I went around a raptor buried to the chassis this summer, in an MDX (can’t wait to get a permit for my JL in the spring). Buy a portable air compressor and air down. Also saves the beach for the guy behind you and as noted above is required. Enjoy your jeep!
Get your permit now. They are unavailable between April and September. I will be getting mine soon.

m3reno

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLU
I was at Smith Point in October and you most definitely need to air down. i couldn't go 20 ft before getting stuck. Some other jeeper out there gave me a tool that you screw onto your schrader valve and it automatically drops it to the pressure that it's set for, 18 lbs. Afterwards there are air stations at the exits that you can air up, just bring a gauge

Sponsored

DizzyIzzy

First Name
Izzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 AEV JL370 - Hellayella JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
You absolutely need to air down. I’m in NYC and have done a lot of beach driving last year. You should air down between 17 and 20 psi. Your dealership guy is a numbskull. If you’re going to go to the beach or off roading quite a lot then I’d recommend you to get a tire deflator from extreme outback called milspec deflator.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/95203_901.htm

And get yourself a decent tire inflator like ARB or Viair 400.

The Pointer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One
I have driven on Texas beaches for many years and never aired my tires down once. I have successfully driven the beach on General, Good Year, Michelin, Cooper and Bridgestone tires and I never have been stuck. The national seashore there changes conditions continuously along your drive. I carry a portable air compressor and bunch of basic gizmo for safety.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I always air down here is south texas, I normally run 28 cold on my KO2’s but drop down to 20 when getting off the road

Asterix2112

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler 4xe
Every year I drive the beaches of Corolla, NC (OBX) and definitely need to air down as some of that sand gets really soft. I supposed if the sand if really hard you might be able to get away without it.

Demonic

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
I've never driven on the NY beaches, but here on Cape Cod airing down is a hardcore requirement with giant signs and if you ever had to be towed off the beach for not airing down your Jeep would be strung up out front of the beach entrance next to the great white shark warning sign for seagulls to pick at as a warning and example to other off-roaders.
Sponsored