First Name
NICK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon (Granite) (6spd)
Occupation
Finance
I installed a trailer hitch receiver today from "CURT", ordered it off Quadratec. The price was $104.22 with a tax of $6.25 it came to $110.47. Install was easy enough though I have a steel bumper and there was what I would describe as a metal spacer back there. That brings me to my question.... what is this thing?

The first picture shows it while still attached, I have started to back out the nut. The second image shows it once removed.
image1 (1).jpeg
IMG_2594.jpg

It had to come out in order to properly install the hitch receiver.

As far as install it was straightforward as I mentioned:
  1. Remove that piece I don't know what it is (hopefully soon to find out, thanks in advance)
  2. Rubber mallet the hitch receiver in place and bolt it on
  3. And now whammy, you can attached a bike rack
Thanks Everyone
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@toomanyhobbies

There is another forum thread where this "spacer" as you call it was mentioned. No one knew exactly what it was, but all reported they removed it.
Save it obviously but don't worry about it's removal.

I know for a bike rack but if you want .... As for your tow lighting there are a couple of decent threads with how to's and such. Do a forum search using the word "Hitch".

OP
OP
toomanyhobbies
First Name
NICK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Finance
@toomanyhobbies

There is another forum thread where this "spacer" as you call it was mentioned. No one knew exactly what it was, but all reported they removed it.
Save it obviously but don't worry about it's removal.

I know for a bike rack but if you want .... As for your tow lighting there are a couple of decent threads with how to's and such. Do a forum search using the word "Hitch".
Got it, I hate to duplicate the threads out there, had done a search first... apparently not a long enough one.

Best

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Got it, I hate to duplicate the threads out there, had done a search first... apparently not a long enough one.

Best
@toomanyhobbies

If you want the hitch lower, for your bike ...you can get a say 6" or more drop hitch and then use the extension with it.You can get an extender and bring it out a few inches more and aweay from that fat Rubi tire.

Extender is not expensive. $20.00 You can get at Harbor Freight, etc..

Here is the pic of the extender:

ggg.jpg

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Dan S

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Sahara
Occupation
Elevator Mechanic Apprentice
Yes, that is what I was referring to for drop. He may also need an extension with it. Both can be had way cheaper at Harbor Freight.
No worries, saw these the other day and it takes care of the issue for me as well.

OP
OP
toomanyhobbies
First Name
NICK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Finance
@toomanyhobbies

If you want the hitch lower, for your bike ...you can get a say 6" or more drop hitch and then use the extension with it.You can get an extender and bring it out a few inches more and aweay from that fat Rubi tire.

Extender is not expensive. $20.00 You can get at Harbor Freight, etc..

Here is the pic of the extender:

ggg.jpg
I actually already own this part. I had a similar set up on my JK.

Rubyred9

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL 4 door
I installed a trailer hitch receiver today from "CURT", ordered it off Quadratec. The price was $104.22 with a tax of $6.25 it came to $110.47. Install was easy enough though I have a steel bumper and there was what I would describe as a metal spacer back there. That brings me to my question.... what is this thing?

The first picture shows it while still attached, I have started to back out the nut. The second image shows it once removed.
image1 (1).jpeg
IMG_2594.jpg

It had to come out in order to properly install the hitch receiver.

As far as install it was straightforward as I mentioned:
  1. Remove that piece I don't know what it is (hopefully soon to find out, thanks in advance)
  2. Rubber mallet the hitch receiver in place and bolt it on
  3. And now whammy, you can attached a bike rack
Thanks Everyone
Glad I found your post! I have the steel bumper as well.
Tried to mount my MOPAR trailer hitch last weekend and couldn't because of that weird spacer.
Didn't know it could be removed - how did you take it off after removing the bolts?
Thanks!

Broccoli2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL, 2011 JK 1946CJ2-A
FYI, I have a plastic bumper and had one too. It looked kinda different but similar, mine was much longer.

Last edited:

Sponsored

JeepWhisperer

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2017 JK
Glad I found your post! I have the steel bumper as well.
Tried to mount my MOPAR trailer hitch last weekend and couldn't because of that weird spacer.
Didn't know it could be removed - how did you take it off after removing the bolts?
Thanks!
Did you ever figure out how to remove that spacer after taking out the bolts? I just picked up a new 2019 JL with the steel bumpers and am trying to install my old JK hitch. I removed the two bolts as toomanyhobbies did in the OP but my spacer seems to extend into the bumper (not just a flat plate that allows it to be removed vertically down) and looks as if it won't come out unless I remove the bumper to slide it out horizontally.

Mgran

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL
Did you ever figure out how to remove that spacer after taking out the bolts? I just picked up a new 2019 JL with the steel bumpers and am trying to install my old JK hitch. I removed the two bolts as toomanyhobbies did in the OP but my spacer seems to extend into the bumper (not just a flat plate that allows it to be removed vertically down) and looks as if it won't come out unless I remove the bumper to slide it out horizontally.
I have the same issue. how did you get the "spacer" out?

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
The spacer use a small pry bar open the gap after the bolts or out and it will fall out don't get hit in the face because it is steel.

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, that is what I was referring to for drop. He may also need an extension with it. Both can be had way cheaper at Harbor Freight.
Kuat offers drop and extension in one.

kkdonley

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
I have the same issue. how did you get the "spacer" out?
The spacer wouldn't come out for me the way it was described in the CURT receiver instructions or based on the other comments above. I have a 2019 Sahara without the steel bumper option. My "spacer" plate is also larger as one reviewer mentioned. There were 2 bolts and 2 screws that needed to be removed when installing my CURT receiver hitch. I removed the 2 bolts like everyone described but tried to pull the plate out and it wouldn't budge. I also tried to slip in the hitch and it was way too tight. The only way it worked for me was to remove two screws that also attached to the plate. Once I did, the plate moved but still couldn't be removed. However, it gave much more wiggle room and I was able to slide the receiver perfectly into place. I used 2 of the hex bolts that came with the hitch and the 2 original bolts as they fit much easier and reinserted the two screws that I had removed. Really solid hitch but need some updated instructions :)

Screw 1.jpg

Screw 2.jpg
Sponsored