Sponsored

Per a Jeep dealership the JL is not water tight/expect it to fill with water during water crossings!

Kadonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Manual Trans Front Spacers, 2010 JKU Wrangler Sport
My whole point to the tread was two points.

My whole tread was about a dealership stating the JL is not water tight in any way shape or form.
I think you mean thread? These are threads, a tread is a part of stairs or like don't tread on me.
Sponsored

alltimesaresoon

First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
fiat 124 spider abarth
↑
My whole point to the tread was two points.

↑
My whole tread was about a dealership stating the JL is not water tight in any way shape or form.

I think you mean thread? These are threads, a tread is a part of stairs or like don't tread on me.
Also if you have two points, then you can't have one whole point

Last edited:

MikeJLURubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Medicolegal Death Investigator
As a service writer that works at a Jeep dealer, the JL is water tight. I’ve seen it with my own eyes during our product training. The problem I think some are having with their floor mats is that where the drain hole goes into the floor most aren’t pushing down on to “snap” it into place. I have the all weather floor mats in my JL, and have done this and I actually struggle removing them when I want to take my mats out to vacuum. It definitely should be water tight especially if you put the little rubber cap over the hole
What rubber cap are you referring to?
Thanks

subiescott77

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
How does a worthless thread like this continue along page after page yet others of value die after a few comments.....?

Sponsored

Lar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I think this has gotten carried away due to a combination of things. The use of the term "water tight" and the issue of some taking it literally. I don't really believe anyone expects the JL or any vehicle to be a submersible submarine. On the other hand many of us have had water crossings where no water entered our Jeep . And i do not think it is unreasonable to expect that from the JL. I know i never had an issue with my JK or the any prior jeeps with them taking on water like the Titanic.
I do appreciate this thread as i went through the same thing with my new vehicle. Delivered with All weather floor mats installed. Noticed a large hole in the mat as no plug was installed. Took it back 3 days later and spend over an hour trying to find someone there that knew what i was talking about . Sales staff took me to 2 new jeeps to try and steal the plugs from their AWFloor mats. Guess what no plugs for the hole. Still no one can figure out what is going on. Off to the Parts Manager who also doesn't know why there is no plug in there but "will call Jeep" to find out. But not before treating me like I am a 12 year old ( I'm not) because I tried to explain I have seen the plugs that are missing on this web site. Big mistake as soon as I said that he started in with the computer and the web "never lies" routine. All the while smirking like the village idiot.
3 hours later he calls me to tell me the plug is in the floor board and should be removed from the floor board and placed in the mat. Nothing else. Couple of more days before I can't figure out how water is not going to enter through the 2 holes in the front floor board now under the mats. With some difficulty I was able to push the plugs from the mat through to fill the holes in the floor board adequately. Now the AW Floor mats are secure the plugs extend through the floor board and all is right in the world for now.

This is the same dealer who told me the bag in the plastic back of my new jeep contained a bag to put groceries etc in so they don't bounce around in the back... It was the bag for the removable tops.
Currently i am trying to convince the same dealership that my Jeep was supposed to come with a small tool kit in a green bag . It contains several Torx head drivers etc. So far no one knows what i am talking about. last conversation was to come in and they will start the search once again pilfering parts from other vehicles on the lot if they can find one.
Absolutely shocking to me how little these people know about the product they sell . Only thing they are able to handle with any sort of expertise is separating you from your money. Once the deal is done it's adios and on to the next mark. That I think is the difference between the local Jeep dealer and higher end automobile dealers who try and encourage a relationship with a customer so as to garner future business.

JMO

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Right here is one of the main reasons I have always stayed with the high end brand vehicles. (Range Rover, Jaguar, Mercedes, Ferrari and Lamborghini.) I feel like the folks who work at the lower end brands are not all there.
Your favorite high end brands all suck because they are not waterproof . Jeep is not a lower end brand because it is not waterproof . You want waterproof ? Take off the doors and let the water run out on it's own , as in a military Jeep . The problem with your JL is it is a 4-door , and not a military Jeep .

Last edited:

Lar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
For those of us paying $55K plus for our new Rubicons it may not feel like they are "low end" brands but in comparison to what you are paying for those foreign automobiles they are at the low end. Not that there is any comparison between those brands and a Jeep buyer. Totally different animals in my opinion.
And there is a difference. I have dealt with Porsche dealers and Mercedes dealers before and in my experience it tends to be a different experience. Perhaps because the employees tend to stay around longer and want to sell you again. Most average big three dealerships go through employees every few months and so I think they figure once you bought a car you will never deal with that person again. Thats the way it has panned out for me. Even when I have a positive experience at a dealership and i go back. months or years later the people I delt with are gone. As a matter of fact most have new ownership multiple times in a very few years.,

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
I have dealt with Porsche dealers and Mercedes dealers before and in my experience it tends to be a different experience.
"Different" because kraut autos suck ; Nothing worse than a kraut dealer auto service department . I am merely guessing because I have NO experience with them and have NEVER visited one . Only Made in USA for me .

Last edited:

Sponsored

owltown

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2L turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Not a water crossing, but i took my 2018 JLU Sahara to a car wash. As I was going through my ankle got wet because water came in at the bottom of the door. Was planning on a low river crossing the following weekend, but decided not to try. Planning on taking it to jeep. Will see what they say...

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Not a water crossing, but i took my 2018 JLU Sahara to a car wash. As I was going through my ankle got wet because water came in at the bottom of the door. Was planning on a low river crossing the following weekend, but decided not to try. Planning on taking it to jeep. Will see what they say...
Which ankle , right or left . That will make a difference . Jeeps are not waterproof , not mudproof , not dustproof . Also , the water sloshing into your engine at a car wash will stop your electronics cold , that's for sure : drive into the carwash , and have a stopped Jeep upon leaving the carwash . Better to Not wash the electronics .

Ntegtmeyer

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, 2014 Jeep Patriot Oscar Mike Edition, 2012 Jeep Compass Limited
OP
OP
James

James

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2018 Jaguar XE, 2018 Fiat 500E
Occupation
Real Estate Broker
I think this has gotten carried away due to a combination of things. The use of the term "water tight" and the issue of some taking it literally. I don't really believe anyone expects the JL or any vehicle to be a submersible submarine. On the other hand many of us have had water crossings where no water entered our Jeep . And i do not think it is unreasonable to expect that from the JL. I know i never had an issue with my JK or the any prior jeeps with them taking on water like the Titanic.
I do appreciate this thread as i went through the same thing with my new vehicle. Delivered with All weather floor mats installed. Noticed a large hole in the mat as no plug was installed. Took it back 3 days later and spend over an hour trying to find someone there that knew what i was talking about . Sales staff took me to 2 new jeeps to try and steal the plugs from their AWFloor mats. Guess what no plugs for the hole. Still no one can figure out what is going on. Off to the Parts Manager who also doesn't know why there is no plug in there but "will call Jeep" to find out. But not before treating me like I am a 12 year old ( I'm not) because I tried to explain I have seen the plugs that are missing on this web site. Big mistake as soon as I said that he started in with the computer and the web "never lies" routine. All the while smirking like the village idiot.
3 hours later he calls me to tell me the plug is in the floor board and should be removed from the floor board and placed in the mat. Nothing else. Couple of more days before I can't figure out how water is not going to enter through the 2 holes in the front floor board now under the mats. With some difficulty I was able to push the plugs from the mat through to fill the holes in the floor board adequately. Now the AW Floor mats are secure the plugs extend through the floor board and all is right in the world for now.

This is the same dealer who told me the bag in the plastic back of my new jeep contained a bag to put groceries etc in so they don't bounce around in the back... It was the bag for the removable tops.
Currently i am trying to convince the same dealership that my Jeep was supposed to come with a small tool kit in a green bag . It contains several Torx head drivers etc. So far no one knows what i am talking about. last conversation was to come in and they will start the search once again pilfering parts from other vehicles on the lot if they can find one.
Absolutely shocking to me how little these people know about the product they sell . Only thing they are able to handle with any sort of expertise is separating you from your money. Once the deal is done it's adios and on to the next mark. That I think is the difference between the local Jeep dealer and higher end automobile dealers who try and encourage a relationship with a customer so as to garner future business.

JMO
Here is what I have found out.
Some fit tightly while others do not. My passenger one fit is water tight while my driver one won’t stay in the hole.
From what it looks like, the early ones from the factory may be the problem ones. Still working on this. The way to tell the difference is the red lettered ones are aftermarket Mopar while the black lettering are factory installed.
The dealership refuses to inspect them saying they were not meant to be water tight.
I’ll most likely take it to another dealership.
I have a case opened with FCA. Just like the arguments over the Mopar 2” lift problem everyone has an opinion and at first jeep care pushed back saying this was normal. It was not until hundreds of folks were posting photos of the coil springs hitting the bump stop housing did they fix the problem.

MacBigButt

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Leaf, 2018 JL Unlimited Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I have no idea why I read through all of this thread, but it got me curious enough to google the meaning of "Trail Rated" and "Water Fording"...apparently nobody else has bothered... Below is from the Jeep web site, note "body openings are sealed" so OP show the Service Manager that if he wants evidence.

"
WATER FORDING
With Trail Rated® capability on your side, you can traverse bodies of water that other vehicles wouldn’t dare attempt. Electrical connections and body openings are sealed and the air intake is positioned higher to protect your vehicle when driving through overflowing creeks, streams and deceivingly deep rainstorm puddles.
"

I read this to mean that you can drive through 30" of water and expect not to have a river in your cab. So I think the OP is correct. The mats should seal well enough to stop water from coming in.

As an observation, I think 30" is about where the vent in the tail gate starts, also where the bottom of the fan blade is I think.
Sponsored