Water-crossings: how to start a stalled manual transmission w/o clutch?

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
In my experience, water is not a problem for the clutch, thick mud is not a problem for the clutch; however, silt can be disastrous. That really murky water is what I try to avoid like a plague. Actually the clutch is just one of the victims, bearings go south a few days after the ingress. All sort of bearings!
As for the starting the engine without depressing the clutch, I find it very disappointing that there isn’t a switch to bypass. (My FJ has a button to bypass clutch)
My take on that is that for a as many mods we do to this things, I will just add the switch myself without complaints.
My 2 Cents.
Advertisement

Onyx Dragon

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 1999 Xj, 2001 Trans Am
Vehicle Showcase
The clutch safety mechanism was engineered on earlier wranglers to be able to be bypassed easily in order to use the starter motor to move the vehicle in emergency situations such as a stall on a dangerous, uphill obstacle, stuck on train-tracks or an intersection or stalled in water/mud etc. etc.
If you stall on an uphill obstacle, the vehicle is designed for the brakes to hold it for 3 seconds after you take your foot off. So if you stall, restart it and go.

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 2021 GMC Terrain
Vehicle Showcase
Wouldn’t that be cool to route a clutch bypass to one of the aux switched in the jeep. I get the jeep will let you if you do it within a certain time limit of a stall but would be nice to have the freedom do it whenever.

BobW

First Name
Bob
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Hellayella Rubicon 3.6L 6sp MT; 2014 Grand Cherokee
I used no-clutch stop/start in 4L routinely with my '93 5-sp Cherokee.
My (new) '18 JLU Rubicon 6-sp does in fact no-clutch start using the tricks described above. (I shut off in gear to stop; to restart, I press clutch; stall in 6th, then quickly shift to 1st, brake pressed, and start w/o clutch).

As others noted, the Owner's Manual (p 306 in my 2018) plainly states 4L start does not require clutch to be depressed, adding that no clutch start is a useful off-road technique (true!).

Is the Manual wrong? Or are my (and your) JLs programmed wrong?

BTW, I've contacted both Jeep helpline and dealer... both very polite but had no idea what I was asking about...

Petey

First Name
Pete
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
I remember reading about changes with the JL manual trans regarding water crossings..the main thing being something to do with the transmission itself.

With the Jk shifting while crossing allowed water to enter. And the JL might be sealed but I can’t find the article and don’t know for sure. I also am unsure if the trans has an extended breather

I know the transfer case does not have an extended breather so that should be something to consider as well.

I have only done one crossing and used 4lo 2nd gear or maybe 3rd. It was fairly deep. Went over my bumper and I’m on 37’s with 3” lift. So we’ll within the factory limit.
water will get into the bellhousing regardless of when ur shifting its not really watertight in there as far as I know..maybe Im wrong but I know for sure that water can enter in many places in the bellhousing not just the shift fork.

Advertisement

JKS Manufacturing

Advertisement