Sponsored

Soft Top - Stream of water when opening door during rain?

MallCrawlLol

First Name
Rick Astley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jlu 6mt
There is a steady stream of water on the upper corner of the door that gets everything wet when getting into the vehicle, including you. Was wondering if anyone else with a soft top has this issue? It's like the water gutter on the top isn't long enough and needs to go a bit more forward and curve down. Or perhaps my gutters are f'd....
Sponsored

schneidvegas

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
I have this issue with the hardtop. In fact I remember seeing a review on the JL and this was pointed out so I was already aware of inheriting this problem. As far as I know, it’s there. That’d all.

ND249

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram 1500
Anyone thought of or actually put a dab of silicone or something at the front of the channel so the water has to go to the back?

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I have this too. I am wondering if aftermarket will take care of it. If not then oh well.

Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I too have this problem with the hard top.

I've yet to put my soft top on and may (suspect I will) have this issue with the soft top as well.

I have the "industrial" floor mats and while I wish the design was better, that a little water collects and is trapped in their rubber mats to eventually evaporate, I've learned to live with.

I would bother me if I didn't have the floor mat upgrade though.

I would find it impossible to believe that FCA, with the vigorous testing they claim, to have not experienced this problem and decided to not do anything about it prior to model launch.

Last edited:

Specter491

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Wranlger JL Sport S
Anyone thought of or actually put a dab of silicone or something at the front of the channel so the water has to go to the back?
That's a good idea

Killed by Death

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green 2021 Rubicon 2 Door
I would find it impossible to believe that FCA, with the vigorous testing they claim, to have not experienced this problem and decided to not do anything about it prior to model launch.
Of all the OBVIOUS problems observed since launch I'm wondering about the qualification of FCA's test drivers. Who did they hire? Cousin Goober?

thundermuffin

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Soft top
It's the new emergency water sustenance system. If you place a cup under the rail, you can collect the water, which can be ingested to sustain life. Either that or it's a design flaw.

Sponsored

Specter491

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Wranlger JL Sport S
That will only work if the car is 100% leveled, if not it will overflow on the same side
If you put a high enough glob of silicon it will force the water to flow out the back

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
There is a steady stream of water on the upper corner of the door that gets everything wet when getting into the vehicle, including you. Was wondering if anyone else with a soft top has this issue? It's like the water gutter on the top isn't long enough and needs to go a bit more forward and curve down. Or perhaps my gutters are f'd....
In true Jeep fashion, the correct answer is "it's a Jeep thing".
Of course up until they fix it on a later model year, then it will just be a 1st year bug that was supposed to leak in 2018, but not 2019.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 JT
In true Jeep fashion, the correct answer is "it's a Jeep thing".
Of course up until they fix it on a later model year, then it will just be a 1st year bug that was supposed to leak in 2018, but not 2019.
It was a first year hard top bug on the JK that they carried over for 11 years...