Insurance Question

Mojito Mojo

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Apache Junction, AZ and North Mankato, MN
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito Rubicon JLU, 2004 Corvette convertible, 2015 HD Road Glide, 2014 Indian Chief Vintage
Occupation
Retired
I’m wondering about insuring my 2018 JLUR. I know my regular auto insurance will take care of collision, liability and comprehensive. My question really relates to off roading and any damage that would occur while you are on the trail. I’m assuming most normal policies don’t cover this but are there special riders you can add to a policy? A friend in my community in Arizona rolled his Wrangler a few years ago and totaled it! I want to have some insurance protection.
Sponsored

Arkewn

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
No idea about off road but I plan to add 'gap' coverage just in case. was like $80 more per 6mths i believe.

OP
OP
Mojito Mojo

Mojito Mojo

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito Rubicon JLU, 2004 Corvette convertible, 2015 HD Road Glide, 2014 Indian Chief Vintage
Occupation
Retired
No idea about off road but I plan to add 'gap' coverage just in case. was like $80 more per 6mths i believe.
But I wonder if the “gap” insurance will even kick in if you were using it for an activity that wasn’t covered in the first place?

OP
OP
Mojito Mojo

Mojito Mojo

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Here’s an example. In Minnesota ice fishing is a popular activity and many people drive their vehicles out on the ice. If you go thru the ice most normal auto policies won’t cover you because you weren’t on a road, street or highway.

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
I’m wondering about insuring my 2018 JLUR. I know my regular auto insurance will take care of collision, liability and comprehensive. My question really relates to off roading and any damage that would occur while you are on the trail. I’m assuming most normal policies don’t cover this but are there special riders you can add to a policy? A friend in my community in Arizona rolled his Wrangler a few years ago and totaled it! I want to have some insurance protection.
I would put off-roading that in the same category as people who take their street car to a race track. As far as I know there isn’t insurance you can buy for your street car for cover track damage, so I’d assume the same would apply for a vehicle you plan to off-road.

That said though, there is a potential “grey” area which would if you incurred damage off-road on what is considered a “road” on a map. At least that’s how my insurance company once explained it. If you go to an off road park or you’re on say Hell’s Revenge and flop, you’re SOL. You roll while on Black Bear Pass you’re covered.

Sponsored

will1111

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
I would put off-roading that in the same category as people who take their street car to a race track. As far as I know there isn’t insurance you can buy for your street car for cover track damage, so I’d assume the same would apply for a vehicle you plan to off-road.

That said though, there is a potential “grey” area which would if you incurred damage off-road on what is considered a “road” on a map. At least that’s how my insurance company once explained it. If you go to an off road park or you’re on say Hell’s Revenge and flop, you’re SOL. You roll while on Black Bear Pass you’re covered.
That's exactly how most insurances work if not all of them. I think they call it a county maintained road or something like that

Borgs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU SPORT
Vehicle Showcase
What about quads or side by side or even snow mobiles. They are off road but are insured. I guess only for liability in case you kill someone not for damage to vehicle.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
As long as it a road, you’re covered.

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
What about quads or side by side or even snow mobiles. They are off road but are insured. I guess only for liability in case you kill someone not for damage to vehicle.
Do they actually offer liability insurance on those or would that be something that falls under home owners general liability? I’ve never owned one so no idea. I could see theft insurance being offered on quads and SxS though.

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
It's interesting that Jeep is planning to offer direct insurance to cover offroading starting next year. Somewhere around here someone posted an FCA PowerPoint that showed some future plans for the Jeep brand.

Sponsored

NM Original

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Jeep GC Overland, 2005 Chevy SSR, 2007 BMW 650-GS, 2015 CanAm F3, 2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon Turbo, 2Door (on order)
I’m wondering about insuring my 2018 JLUR.
Good point - I really need to look at the specifics on my policy. I I’ve been off-road with my Jeep GC, and really off road on my one bike. I would tend to go a little further with the Rubicon JL. I feel like I am covered, but a new policy just came in the mail, I planned on spending part of Sunday going over it.

I am with Geico, no complaints at all.

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
I do some track driving with the PCA club, and most autocross events are covered, and some of the track events are labeled highway safety courses, so those are covered and I get 10-15% off of my insurance. All in the wording....:jk:
Sponsored