Sponsored

Stupid Deer

NJJeep Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hella Yella JLU
Came running out of a field right smack into the rear of my Jeep. It must have jumped because it didn't damage the rear door, but caught the corner of the soft top. Thankfully Jeep can get me a new one in a few days.

20221112_104312.jpg

20221112_104552.jpg
Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
A few years ago, I nearly got knocked off of my motorcycle after a doe ran into the side of the bike at full trot. I instinctively counter-steered, after which she slid off the plastic side panel and continued across the road into the woods. I then pulled over to let the adrenaline dump pass. The panel was permanently scuffed, but no cracks, surprisingly, given the perceived force of the impact.

Some years prior to that episode, I was driving my one-month-old YJ home from a friend's house. It was at night, in January, and snowing lightly. In the blink of an eye, a deer ran out from the verge and was hit squarely in the shoulder region by the simple, plate steel front bumper. The <thump> of the impact startled me, but the deer disappeared in the night and as it wasn't safe for me to pull over, I just pressed on back to my place. There, I discovered a neatly frozen lump of bloody gore on the underside of the bumper, and a nice dent in the pax-side fender. The gore eventually melted away and the insurance paid for the fender repair, and that was that.

As far as I'm concerned, I've met my quota regarding collisions with forest rats.

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
Think over the years I've had more deer run into the sides of my vehicles than me actually driving into them. And the last one, I was literally seconds from my driveway and came to almost a complete stop thinking a standing deer was trying to cross, but instead he then came at me at full speed and smashed his head into the front corner of my car, messing up the hood, headlight and then falling sideways into my fender and door, and then just running off into the night.

Such a dumb animal.

Sponsored

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

we dont have to worry about the deer out here, though they do exist. we have to worry about the crackheads that run into the street and plow into your vehicle. at the least the deer dont do it on purpose and then yell theyre going to sue you.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
we dont have to worry about the deer out here, though they do exist. we have to worry about the crackheads that run into the street and plow into your vehicle. at the least the deer dont do it on purpose and then yell theyre going to sue you.
Mm. Can crackheads be put down in a manner similar to an injured deer? Not asking for a friend. ;)

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Mm. Can crackheads be put down in a manner similar to an injured deer? Not asking for a friend. ;)
i dont know about your state but in CA theyre marked an endangered species so you cant touch them, even though theyre abundant and reproducing like feral hogs

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Visited family on the East Coast and was warned about the deer big-time. I ride motorcycles. Deer accidents are deadly. Really hated that feeling riding in Pennsylvania and New Jersey. I’m sure it happens other places.

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport (2 door)
My hunter friends tell me how they sit in tree stands for hours in the hopes of seeing a deer to shoot at and how hard hunting is. I just tell them drive around my neighborhood at dusk and they can take one out with their car without even trying.

Sponsored

PhoenixM3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GR86, 2023 Wrangler JLURD
Came running out of a field right smack into the rear of my Jeep. It must have jumped because it didn't damage the rear door, but caught the corner of the soft top. Thankfully Jeep can get me a new one in a few days.

Jeep Wrangler JL Stupid Deer 20221112_104552

The other night I got to test out the Rubicons brakes when a deer wandered out at dusk. I could hear/feel the ABS working hard to get us stopped. It was a close call, but later that evening that deer wasn’t as lucky.

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
I'm almost certain the deer I mentioned in my last encounter was in rut and probably charged me on purpose, but even in our smaller cities I've had people pull that same shit - suddenly jumping out from between two parked cars and slapping your hood, trying to poorly act like you just ran them over. And yeah, it's just a tactic to either get you to stop and get robbed, or to get sued for something you didn't do.

Although it's very tempting to actually veer toward them, I sure as hell ain't stopping for that shit (unless they damage my car).

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link
Years ago, one of my friends in high school and I were driving in his Dad's 280ZX. We came over a hill and a deer was standing in the middle of the road. No time to react, my friend hit it square on and basically cut the deer in half. The legs went under the car but the body caved in the hood, slid up the windshield and over the back of the car. Amazingly, the car still drove so we were able to make it back to my friend's house.

But the best part is that when we pulled in, my friend's Dad was outside. He saw the car, hood caved in, covered in blood and said, "What the hell happened?!" And my friend, without missing a beat, said, "We hit a kid."

I'll never forget the look on that man's face... :)

Last edited:

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport Mojito!, 3.6L & '18 Ninja 400 KRT
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase

Glad you’re good and that’s all the damage done 🙏🏽. 🦌 can cause major damage and loss of life whether via auto accidents or walking outside during Rut season!

Reactions: AFD

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
OP, glad your top is an easy fix. Could've been much worse, as they say. I've had a couple of close calls in the morning on my way to work, and I live in densely populated North Jersey near NYC. A few months back, one almost ran into the side of my Jeep - he came hauling out of a side street and I swerved to avoid him, and he fortunately swerved the opposite way and missed me. Then a few weeks ago, one ran right across the road in front of me on the same road, and I had to hit the brakes pretty hard to avoid him.

These poor animals have no where left to go, they've moved into the burbs.
Sponsored