First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL - Sting Gray
very nice, thanks, I did not think that one would fit; so it must just nicely straddle that 3rd brake light and doesn't interfere with the rear wiper? do you know if there is an option to mount those bottom straps meant for under the bumper to the bottom of the spare instead?
I’m not sure how you’d mount the bottom straps to the tire. There are two metal lips on the bottoms of the straps for the bottom of the door that you use. It’s nicely against the brake lite and doesn’t block it. Really well built for a “spare tire mount”. Definitely the best I’ve seen so far until more official ones start rolling out...
Sponsored

trble

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Occupation
Disabled Vet

RichieRugs

First Name
Richie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport S
I’m not sure how you’d mount the bottom straps to the tire. There are two metal lips on the bottoms of the straps for the bottom of the door that you use. It’s nicely against the brake lite and doesn’t block it. Really well built for a “spare tire mount”. Definitely the best I’ve seen so far until more official ones start rolling out...
Do they offer a locking system of some sort? The rack to the car, and the bike to the rack.

jassem99

First Name
Basil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLUR
If the active safety group is included with the blind spot monitoring then no, I opted against it.
I loosened the mount of the 3rd brake light, then tightened it again after installing the bike rack. They touch each other, though, but not in a way that would bend or force-back the brake light mount.
Here is Colorado the 3rd light is not a requirement and I may decide to take it off altogether.
One more Hollywood SR1 rack on JLU. No problems installing the rack after loosening the 3rd brake light with T25 torx as above. Had to add some protection for wheel on bottom of rack U-section to avoid scratching wheel. Ideally black split rubber donuts would do the job with 1" inner diameter.

JLU_SR1.jpg

Blind spot monitoring unaffected with or without bike on rack. Parksense automatically turns off with bike on since it beeps continuously due to tire proximity to sensor. Camera view unaffected when no bike on rack.

No complaints for price of SR1, but would probably not add a second bike unless hinge reinforcement installed.

Sponsored

RichieRugs

First Name
Richie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport S
I drive JLUR. Need a rack that will allow access to the trunk, clears the Rubicon spare, and has built in locks. Kuat NV 2.0, 1 upUSA, Yakima full swing? Thoughts? My head is spinning trying to make a decision.

Thanks,

AUMacman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Well I ordered the Thule T2 Pro Xt hitch mount bike rack and the 1up 7.5" hitch extender. I'll let y'all know how it works out once the Jeep and the rack arrive later this week/ early next week. :like:
Any update on how this is working out?

Tunesoul

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport, 2012 Subaru Outback, 2018 Ocean Blue JLUR
Occupation
Owner of a Mobile Auto Paint Touch Up Co.
Any update on how this is working out?
So far I really like this setup. The 1up hitch extender has a threaded pin that let's you tighten it so that there is no play, it is rock solid and it also has a locking mechanism. I didn't get a drop down so you can only open the gate about 1 foot before the spare tire touches the rack, but that's totally enough to grab your riding gear out of the cargo area. The backup camera still has a great view between the two wheels and below the bottom bracket when you position the crank arm out of the way. I'll be making a video on this hitch rack set up for my youtube channel next week. I'll post a link here once I upload the video. Here's some photos of the rack on my JLUR. Hope this helps! :like:

83A362EE-E629-4B05-BEEA-BA58B57B78A3.jpeg

D21F4095-9900-4BC5-AD70-0B0DD1C7E5A6.jpeg

22619F9D-7B1C-4D43-AA4F-5F514D1929E9.jpeg

4A83BFFA-97BF-44F1-8A8D-CE966CF773B2.jpeg

BB67E459-7F2A-4D93-B0FA-ACA05460988F.jpeg

crash13

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
One more Hollywood SR1 rack on JLU
Looks good. Where did you pick it up? and my bikes are less than 17lbs each so not really worried about the weight ;)

jayz235

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Sahara
I drive JLUR. Need a rack that will allow access to the trunk, clears the Rubicon spare, and has built in locks. Kuat NV 2.0, 1 upUSA, Yakima full swing? Thoughts? My head is spinning trying to make a decision.

Thanks,
Richie - here's my solution that matches all of your criteria; Rubi wheels on my Sahara are cleared with full access to trunk, locks included:

Kuat Pivot & NV Base. There is still an issue with the handle fitting fully locked, but Kuat is releasing a fix for that so I'm not worried. Pics with my street cruiser as well as some rear camera shots with bike loaded and rack in it's upright position.

BTW, this rack is SOLID. Hardly budges at all when everything is tightened down. I'm beyond impressed! And the finish looks really good IMO.

IMG_1142.jpg
IMG_1141.jpg
IMG_1139.jpg

FYI I expressed this to Kuat and they assured me that a fix for the handle is coming soon. Their customer support has been outstanding. They've sent me a pack of lock cores for free so my locks all match and well as offered me discounts on future purchases.

Sponsored

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
I only need to carry one bike and I prefer to carry it inside the Jeep. Here’s what I did and when the trail rail system comes out I’ll be able to build a better mount.

B8F924CD-8122-4430-998A-65E8CCE9435B.jpeg

63FA0B0A-3FA4-4C6E-8CA7-8DE11E1BE073.jpeg

50CBF7DA-D263-4A62-9E99-F82B443C7BCA.jpeg

5988354C-2E3C-4135-A9F2-07863E7EC531.jpeg

Jeepnick

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma pro
Spoke with the kuat rep at dirtfest this weekend
They put me on the list for the updated latch that will work with a rear mounted spare tire
Said 30 days out

Jeepnick

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma pro
Although I have some desire to switch from my kuat setup to 1up since they offer a cargo carrier that also holds 2 bikes
Not sure if I can let go of the pivot option though

KDB

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 Door JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I need/want to carry two bikes as well and often times and in the back country on some rough roads so narrowed my choices down to 1UP and ISI. I've been in discussions (taking measurements and all to ensure best fit of their modular system) with ISI and hope to purchase a rack from them this week. The ISI is not too much more than 1UP but will lay down to allow for full access of the tail gate, even with bikes loaded.

http://www.isi-carriers.com/products.html

Jeepnick

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma pro
I need/want to carry two bikes as well and often times and in the back country on some rough roads so narrowed my choices down to 1UP and ISI. I've been in discussions (taking measurements and all to ensure best fit of their modular system) with ISI and hope to purchase a rack from them this week. The ISI is not too much more than 1UP but will lay down to allow for full access of the tail gate, even with bikes loaded.

http://www.isi-carriers.com/products.html
That’s really cool
This kinda excites me though

A37EA0FA-50A2-46C4-B079-14D47D6EBA7E.jpeg
Sponsored