Bike Rack Options??

jayz235

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Sahara
Kuat Pivot & NV Base Update: it fits! Well, sort of... I discovered a screw buried in one of my wheels so I moved that to the spare tire mount until I can drop it at a shop for repairs. The tire was around 25psi when I swapped it and thought to try the Pivot again; success! There is still an issue with the handle fitting fully locked, but Kuat is releasing a fix for that so I'm not worried. I adjusted it for now so that is stays partly locked and with the lock pin inserted I'm not worried. Pics with my street cruiser as well as some rear camera shots with bike loaded and rack in it's upright position.

BTW, this rack is SOLID. Hardly budges at all when everything is tightened down. I'm beyond impressed! And the finish looks really good IMO.

IMG_1142.jpg
IMG_1141.jpg
IMG_1139.jpg

Bit of a PSA for everyone - I picked up a Kuat swing away hitch so I could use my choice of bike rack. The clamp that hold the top arm from swinging out does not clear the spare tire.
FYI I expressed this to Kuat and they assured me that a fix for the handle is coming soon. Their customer support has been outstanding. They've sent me a pack of lock cores for free so my locks all match and well as offered me discounts on future purchases.
Sponsored

Cyclone88

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2012 JK Sport, 2013 Mini Countryman
Vehicle Showcase
FYI I expressed this to Kuat and they assured me that a fix for the handle is coming soon. Their customer support has been outstanding. They've sent me a pack of lock cores for free so my locks all match and well as offered me discounts on future purchases.
Dammit. Really? I should've done the same. Instead I picked up a drop hitch adapter (which does work, though obviously hurts clearance). I'm curious to see what their fix is/what they offer to people who have already purchased the swing away.

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
No JLU for me yet, but I have the Hollywood racks sport rider 4 that I like quite a bit. $430 (amazon) 4 bike set up. I’m happy with it ... Economical, sturdy, and nice to have 2 bike or 4 bike option. but very heavy, and change bike formations is a little tideous (have to move wheel “trays” when I take beach cruisers vs Mtn/fat bikes. It can fold down, but I’ve never used it.

Also, not sure how distance will work with spare on JLU.

https://hollywoodracks.com/collecti...t-rider-4-bike-hitch-rack?variant=15862463686

Google search for Jeep+Hollywood Racks Sportt

28E2C86C-F669-4654-9530-2AFC2E873F9D_zps7ye2uj0l.png

B531C957-5CF8-421C-B478-9F7FF429DC77_zpstpuaktc5.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

Gus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
wrangler 2018 JLU Rubicon
HI all,
I have a Thule 2" hitch 4 bike rack, that tilts backwards to give access to the gate.
I bought an 11" hitch extender in order to allow it clear the spare 33" tire on my JLUR.
I managed to install the rack but unfortunately ran into another problem where I can't open the gate as the spare tire still touches the release lever when I try to open the gate.
Having said that do you know or have any suggestion such as an Offset 2" extender that would lower the bike rack a couple of inches to allow the gate to clear the lever?
I didn't get a chance to take any picture unfortunately.
Any feedback is appreciated
Thanks in advance.

Tunesoul

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport, 2012 Subaru Outback, 2018 Ocean Blue JLUR
Occupation
Owner of a Mobile Auto Paint Touch Up Co.
Does anyone know of a drop down+hitch extender combo that will work perfectly with the Kuat NV 2.0 on a Rubicon with the factory 33" tire? I want to be able to open the gate with the rack tilted down. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! :like:

Sponsored

Gus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does anyone know of a drop down+hitch extender combo that will work perfectly with the Kuat NV 2.0 on a Rubicon with the factory 33" tire? I want to be able to open the gate with the rack tilted down. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! :like:
This is exactly my issue the my previous post above.
Found this on amazon not sure if it will work or now.
MaxxHaul 70070 Dual Hitch Extension - 4000 lbs. GTW Capacity https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B008CE09PM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Pm14AbGK3BY2Z
Still waiting for feedback from others
THanks in advance

Bones

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara

Bones

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Yes you can. I went with a different rack and the clearance issue wasn't a big deal for me so I just got a straight 7 inch extender that had threading for the bolt to keep everything tight. I'd just look for a good locking bolt that has a spring built into it to keep it tight...unless the wobble isn't as a big deal. For my carbon fiber road bike I wanted a tight fit.

Gus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes you can. I went with a different rack and the clearance issue wasn't a big deal for me so I just got a straight 7 inch extender that had threading for the bolt to keep everything tight. I'd just look for a good locking bolt that has a spring built into it to keep it tight...unless the wobble isn't as a big deal. For my carbon fiber road bike I wanted a tight fit.
Thanks again, feedback appreciate it
which extender did you end up with?

Sponsored

Tunesoul

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport, 2012 Subaru Outback, 2018 Ocean Blue JLUR
Occupation
Owner of a Mobile Auto Paint Touch Up Co.
Well I ordered the Thule T2 Pro Xt hitch mount bike rack and the 1up 7.5" hitch extender. I'll let y'all know how it works out once the Jeep and the rack arrive later this week/ early next week. :like:

Gus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is what I used to clear my tailgate.
Now I need to find an accessory for anti rattle. Any suggestions is appreciated.

405F27DE-9BC2-4D84-BCC2-D1FD842C8A92.jpeg

pianomankd

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL - Sting Gray

arch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S Sting Gray, 1950 Red GMC pickup
Hey guys, I highly recommend this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XXT5767/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

With it fully installed you still have a clear view in the backup camera. Comes in 2, 3, and 4 bike holder models. Here's a quick pic I took of the backup cam view with it installed:

IMG_1648.jpg
very nice, thanks, I did not think that one would fit; so it must just nicely straddle that 3rd brake light and doesn't interfere with the rear wiper? do you know if there is an option to mount those bottom straps meant for under the bumper to the bottom of the spare instead?
Sponsored