Sponsored

Bike Rack Options??

desert runner

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR MetalCloak 2.5F/3.5R, LoD Bumper/Carrier.
Adding weight to the rear of the spare tire may exceed the load capacity for the tire rack unless the optional tire rack and gate hinge reinforcement is installed. Thats a lot of leverage when you extend past the spare with a bike rack and a couple of bikes bouncing around going down the highway.
Agreed. Here is my rational: I take my fat bike out for a ride frequently, want to maximize my riding time and minimize any setup time.
Hence my requirements are:

1) Carry ONE bike only
2) Keep the rack on all the time
3) Fit the jeep in the garage with the rack on
4) Open the tailgate without having to remove/pivot any equipment

Since I still have the factory 33" BFG spare, I think I'll be fine. I have ordered the rack, will report back how well it works.
Sponsored

jayz235

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Sahara
That’s cool that kuat is addressing the lever
I’m not the worried about using an extension untill then and I already have a anti sway device
I have a pretty big investment in kuat and I’m not a huge fan of one up
Nick - can you recommend an extension with anti-sway/rattle and how much clearance it gives you when loaded? As for Kuat, I don't plan on switching/returning anything. Their build quality and looks are perfect for what I'm looking for.

jayz235

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Sahara
FYI - Just got done chatting with Kuat support on my fitment issue. They were incredibly helpful and awesome to work with! Here's what I found out:
  • In the near future they'll be releasing an updated handle for the Pivot designed to be shorter to fit under a spare tire.
  • They make an awesome flip-flop extension that gives you either 7" or 10" of extension and depending how it's flipped, just over 2" or rise or drop.
  • They can't recommend using their extension w/ the Pivot because of the decrease in tongue weight.
  • They are providing (free of charge!) new lock cores so that all of my locks match to 1 key.
So now I'm slightly torn...I can either go against their recommendation and use the extension with the Pivot, or wait for the new handle and hope the it fits under the spare with letting ~10-20psi out of the spare.

deniska

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
Well, I already had a Kuat NV 2.0 for 4 bike’s so by god I am going to make it work. But I think for the cost of all the additions and parts and effort... it may be cheaper to carry a spare Grand Cherokee for the times you need to carry bikes ;)

Sponsored

Jeepnick

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma pro
FYI - Just got done chatting with Kuat support on my fitment issue. They were incredibly helpful and awesome to work with! Here's what I found out:
  • In the near future they'll be releasing an updated handle for the Pivot designed to be shorter to fit under a spare tire.
  • They make an awesome flip-flop extension that gives you either 7" or 10" of extension and depending how it's flipped, just over 2" or rise or drop.
  • They can't recommend using their extension w/ the Pivot because of the decrease in tongue weight.
  • They are providing (free of charge!) new lock cores so that all of my locks match to 1 key.
So now I'm slightly torn...I can either go against their recommendation and use the extension with the Pivot, or wait for the new handle and hope the it fits under the spare with letting ~10-20psi out of the spare.
Most towing extensions should be fine
In reality they are for hauling thousands of pounds and we are only hauling bikes
I know it’s tounge Weight but it’s not much
That’s really cool they are so receptive to the Jeep crowd
And the free lock cores is awesome
I need to send them an email
I have 3 different locks between my pivot, regular rack and add on

jayz235

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Sahara
the things you can do with a vice and a hammer. Still looking forward to the new handle. But...
What the...how'd yours fit under the spare?? One photo it looks like the top bar clears by an 1/8th of an inch, and another photo looks like the bar is in front of the spare? I might have to go fiddle with mine in the daylight and see if I missed something...

deniska

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What the...how'd yours fit under the spare?? One photo it looks like the top bar clears by an 1/8th of an inch, and another photo looks like the bar is in front of the spare? I might have to go fiddle with mine in the daylight and see if I missed something...
The bar clears the spare by an inch or so. One picture shows clearing by 1/8” or so... but the clamp is not closed in that one which adds a bit of play. The bottom line is that the spare clears the swing arm no problem, as long as the lock handle is lowered.

Last edited:

Sponsored

smuddy

First Name
shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

deniska

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fair enough. I used to have a Thule hitch rack like that and managed to fit up to 5 bikes on it once, include two with bars like this and two kids bikes. Nowadays... carrying 3-4 mountain bikes that cost a bit more than those back in the day, I've gotten a little paranoid.

But would gladly try this different method if you chose to donate your Ibis Mojo to me for experimentation purposes ;)

Jeepnick

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma pro
A626DD4D-E838-4608-A7CC-A647700401B6.jpeg
I used the extension for a 250 mile round trip yesterday
There was a little bounce if you hit a big bump but otherwise worked great
I’m going to try the hammer and vise technique until kuat remedy’s the situation

wahlsaint

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6MT; Macan Turbo; Li'l Cooper; Subee, CR-V
A626DD4D-E838-4608-A7CC-A647700401B6.jpeg
I used the extension for a 250 mile round trip yesterday
There was a little bounce if you hit a big bump but otherwise worked great
I’m going to try the hammer and vise technique until kuat remedy’s the situation
Wow, that cantelever makes my free body diagram wired head hurt!

Willys42

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JL (earlier M38A1 & 42 Willys)
Agreed. Here is my rational: I take my fat bike out for a ride frequently, want to maximize my riding time and minimize any setup time.
Hence my requirements are:

1) Carry ONE bike only
2) Keep the rack on all the time
3) Fit the jeep in the garage with the rack on
4) Open the tailgate without having to remove/pivot any equipment

Since I still have the factory 33" BFG spare, I think I'll be fine. I have ordered the rack, will report back how well it works.
I asked Mark Allen at Jeep Design about the SR1 rack and associated stress on the tailgate assembly. I got his reply this morning:

"I spoke with engineering about your question and they recommend you reinforce the tailgate of the JL if you plan on adding weight to it beyond the standard spare tire.
We recommend you use a tailgate reinforcement bracket such as the Jeep Performance Parts P/N 82215356AB to help distribute the increased load."

Unfortunately the bracket is listed at $544. I guess I will take another look at the hitch mounted racks. However, I suspect the SR1 with one bike wouldn't cause a problem if you stayed on paved roads--but I'm not an engineer.
Sponsored