Bike Rack Options??

Jeepers!

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ĀÆ\_(惄)_/ĀÆ
Has anyone tried this model on the JL Rubi?

upload_2018-4-10_15-48-42.png

I like the fact that it does open with the gate, that it extends the length of the car by only a few inches (garage!), and that it does not obstruct the rear view camera. However, not sure it will fit the 33" tire and the new third brake light design.

https://www.etrailer.com/p-HRSR1.html?hhyear=2018&hhmake=Jeep&hhmodel=JL+Wrangler+Unlimited
Looks like it would work fine. Says "confirmed to fit 2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Unlimited" on your link. Nice find (and nice price).
Sponsored

aCeMedic13

First Name
Ambrose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
RN/Paramedic
Vehicle Showcase
I just learned about this today from the Kuat folks. They indicated that some Jeeps spare tires made is difficult to release the lever, hence the Kuat engineers have just redesigned this lever and will make it available soon. I'm assuming this is more of an issue with the larger size tires.

Question, so if we go with the 'pivot' there is no need for an extension and the swing allows full access to the back of our jeeps, is that your experience? Also, can you still see with the backup camera? This does make it a bit more expensive, but I'll likely go with the Sherpa 2.0 to save a few dollars (and because I don't need the 4 bike carrier).

This appears to be a great solution to the problems noted above.
Looks like a good solution for any of the hitch racks. Keep us updated!!!

deniska

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
I just learned about this today from the Kuat folks. They indicated that some Jeeps spare tires made is difficult to release the lever, hence the Kuat engineers have just redesigned this lever and will make it available soon. I'm assuming this is more of an issue with the larger size tires.

Question, so if we go with the 'pivot' there is no need for an extension and the swing allows full access to the back of our jeeps, is that your experience? Also, can you still see with the backup camera? This does make it a bit more expensive, but I'll likely go with the Sherpa 2.0 to save a few dollars (and because I don't need the 4 bike carrier).

This appears to be a great solution to the problems noted above.
There should be no need for an extension with the Swing-Away piece at that piece will add some distance by itself.

desert runner

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR MetalCloak 2.5F/3.5R, LoD Bumper/Carrier.
Looks like it would work fine. Says "confirmed to fit 2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Unlimited" on your link. Nice find (and nice price).
Yeah, I know they say it fits, but I wonder whether they actually tried it.
  1. With the 33" the bottom part will likely hit the wheel, i.e. not reach down to rest on the tire
  2. The third brake light mount on the JL wraps around the back of the tire now, not sure you could fit that carrier bracket between tire and mount
Both could probably be addressed by some modifications.

True, in comparison to some of the outrageous prices of some bike racks this seems like a good deal. But considering its just a few metal bars and straps you really have to wonder ;)

deniska

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I like the fact that it does open with the gate, that it extends the length of the car by only a few inches (garage!), and that it does not obstruct the rear view camera. However, not sure it will fit the 33" tire and the new third brake light design.

https://www.etrailer.com/p-HRSR1.html?hhyear=2018&hhmake=Jeep&hhmodel=JL+Wrangler+Unlimited
This looks like a fantastic solution for those who can use a hanging rack and only have 2 bikes to carry (if it can be made to work with the new JL break light as you said). I do worry about the stability and how much weight can be carried on the spare. I suspect a 4-bike solution would be too heavy for this type of attachment.

This type of rack doesn't work well for modern mountain bikes though, which is why we are talking about racks like the Kuat, 1Up, Thule T2 Pro and other platform racks... and the woes associated with them.

Sponsored

desert runner

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR MetalCloak 2.5F/3.5R, LoD Bumper/Carrier.
This looks like a fantastic solution for those who can use a hanging rack and only have 2 bikes to carry (if it can be made to work with the new JL break light as you said). I do worry about the stability and how much weight can be carried on the spare. I suspect a 4-bike solution would be too heavy for this type of attachment.

This type of rack doesn't work well for modern mountain bikes though, which is why we are talking about racks like the Kuat, 1Up, Thule T2 Pro and other platform racks... and the woes associated with them.
They say it can handle 70 pounds. Enough for my fat bike ;)

Curious why you say it won't handle modern mountain bikes, what is the concern?

deniska

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They say it can handle 70 pounds. Enough for my fat bike ;)

Curious why you say it won't handle modern mountain bikes, what is the concern?
With FS bikes there is not enough room to grab on to the top tube with the hanging rack. Angles differ and the shock mount gets in the way. Hard tails are generally ok but hang at awkward angles depending on the frame.

jayz235

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Sahara
Iā€™ll instal my kuat rack with the pivot on my jl for the first time next weekend
Will post up
Whelp, no dice for me... Last night I attempted to install the Pivot and unfortunately there isn't enough clearance. The top arm will not fit under my spare (33" KO2). Also, the red T handle will not fully close/engage as it again hits the spare tire. The top arm could clear if it was just a 1/4" lower, however the red T handle is about 3" too tall.

Next, I'll look at both drop mounts and extensions. Both are very unfortunate solutions as that means I'll have to have a third lock in place, and some sort of tension/anit-rattle device in place. Bike rack companies really don't like Wranglers :crying:

deniska

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Whelp, no dice for me... Last night I attempted to install the Pivot and unfortunately there isn't enough clearance. The top arm will not fit under my spare (33" KO2). Also, the red T handle will not fully close/engage as it again hits the spare tire. The top arm could clear if it was just a 1/4" lower, however the red T handle is about 3" too tall.

Next, I'll look at both drop mounts and extensions. Both are very unfortunate solutions as that means I'll have to have a third lock in place, and some sort of tension/anit-rattle device in place. Bike rack companies really don't like Wranglers :crying:
Aaaaargh!!! Noooo!

pb100

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL
I like having my bike inside the car as much as possible. Does anyone have pictures of a setup with a 29" mountain bike inside a JL? Love to see your setups. You would have to mount the front fork to a base for sure. Thanks for any insight on this.

Sponsored

terrytnt

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MB and BMW
This is not good news for Kuat! I think 1Up USA may be our best bet!

Jeepnick

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma pro

Thatā€™s cool that kuat is addressing the lever
Iā€™m not the worried about using an extension untill then and I already have a anti sway device
I have a pretty big investment in kuat and Iā€™m not a huge fan of one up

A.B.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
totalled 2007 JKU Sahara
I like having my bike inside the car as much as possible. Does anyone have pictures of a setup with a 29" mountain bike inside a JL? Love to see your setups. You would have to mount the front fork to a base for sure. Thanks for any insight on this.
Sorry I don't have any pictures, did this with my JK but it's been sent to the graveyard.

2X6 with through axle mount that I got from Amazon. Cut the board to a length where you don't get much side to side motion. Added safety feature is you can cable lock your bike to the roll bar. I usually put the 1/3 seat down put the bike on the driver's side. With fork mounts for road bikes, and putting one in fork first, I could get 4 standing across my JK or 3 MTB.

https://www.amazon.com/Sunlite-Bike...39903&sr=8-4&keywords=through+axle+fork+mount

Pipebndr

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1943 Ford GPW 2018 JLUR
Occupation
Retired Automotive business owner, ASE Master Tech

Adding weight to the rear of the spare tire may exceed the load capacity for the tire rack unless the optional tire rack and gate hinge reinforcement is installed. Thats a lot of leverage when you extend past the spare with a bike rack and a couple of bikes bouncing around going down the highway.