Bike Rack Options??

1. panda234

panda234 Member

Vehicle(s):
    2009 JKUR
    Liked:
    Well, the trailer hitch works pretty well to pull a trailer. :)

I don't see what the big deal is about using a hitch extension, and if you check out aCeMedic13's pictures, the backup camera still looks like it's usable, just not optimal. There are ways around both issues that are more optimal, but no company is going to bother because they will likely lose money on them due to the low volume.

2. deniska

deniska Active Member

First Name:
    Dennis
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
    Liked:
    Putting a bike inside is not a solution for me - I frequently carry 3-4 bikes.

This is not just a new Wrangle problem, it’s an all Wrangler problem. I am likely to get cruicified for what I am about to say, but here it goes.

Wrangler is just not a practical vehicle. We buy it because we love the way it looks, or what it represents. Or because we love going way off-road. And we do this recognizing that we give up convenience, utility, and fuel efficiency. And we McGyver solutions to the shortcomings. Sometimes that makes us proud. Sometimes that makes us frustrated. Sometimes that makes us cringe.

My emotions on the topic are a bit all over the place at the moment. Last time I took the roof off and went cruising up Mt Diablo and got stuck off-roading where I should not have been, that made me smile ear-to-ear. Maybe I need to try that again and forget my hitch rack woes for a little while.

zodleviton, Tunesoul and Mukluk like this.
  3. Saejin

Saejin Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Gene
    Vehicle(s):
    JLUR - Firecracker Red
    Liked:
    ^^well I think 1Up will fit and possibly the Kuat Sherpa as it doesn’t have much of a rise to it. The issue with most racks is due to the folding mechanism they are about 6in higher than the actual hitch.

As for the camera and parkimf sensors that is an issue for every vehicle you put a hitch mounted rack on. Nothing you can do to allow the sensors to work with a bike rack. Rear view camera might still have a workaround.

Also, hit is for towing primarily, not bike racks. I’ve seen some cool trailers that you can mount 4 bikes on, haul a ton of comping gear on, etc.

4. Covfefe

Covfefe Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2015 Mustang & Chrysler 200S
    Liked:
    Would any of these fit a 92" long tandem bike? Besides the top tube mounted ones.20643117_10209892916583902_1244378229368033810_o.jpg

5. jeremyjeep

jeremyjeep Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Jeremy
    Vehicle(s):
    JLUR
    Liked:
    Does anyone know the distance between the top of the trailer hitch and the backup camera?

6. Tunesoul

Tunesoul Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Kirk
    Vehicle(s):
    1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport, 2012 Subaru Outback, 2018 Ocean Blue JLUR
    Liked:
    Owner of an Mobile Auto Paint Touch Up Co.
    #81 Apr 8, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
    Off roading on Mt Diablo? You should take your rig down to Hollister Hills OHV, it's got some great beginner trails and some moderate trails that you can legally traverse!

7. smuddy

smuddy Well-Known Member

First Name:
    shane
    Vehicle(s):
    JLUR
    Liked:
    Get a swing out carrier so you can get access to the tail gate. And, I guarantee you that a metal shop can take 2 hitch extenders, cut one down and then weld to the other to give an offset to the trailer post to give a better view of the camera. Could probably be done for less than a hundred. That's what I'm going to try but still waiting on my jeep so I'm probably 2 months out on reporting back with results when I do this.

8. smuddy

smuddy Well-Known Member

First Name:
    shane
    Vehicle(s):
    JLUR
    Liked:
    Hmmm, I posted just thinking quickly. I'd be worried the welds wouldn't hold up to the weight of the rack and bikes. Maybe they could also slip on a high strength sleeve around both as well to make it stronger. Any welders out there reading this have any thoughts on it's strength in this configuration? It would have to hold roughly 100 lbs for 2 bikes.

9. smuddy

smuddy Well-Known Member

First Name:
    shane
    Vehicle(s):
    JLUR
    Liked:
    If this would work, why wouldn't something similar work if it were welded to the side instead to give you an offset and better camera view? BX88130.jpg

10. panda234

panda234 Member

Vehicle(s):
    2009 JKUR
    Liked:
    I assume you're talking about when the rack is folded up. If so, a side to side adjustment wouldn't help with the 1up, Kuat, or Raxter racks. All of them have bars that go all the way across. Being able to move the rack up or down a bit might help if you can find a position for the camera to see between the cross pieces.

11. jayz235

jayz235 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Jay
    Vehicle(s):
    Wrangler JLU Sahara
    Liked:
    My Kuat Swing Away arrives this week and I will post up rear view camera photo to see how much the NV Base blocks the view then folded up. With the added spacing from the arm I'm hoping for a bit more view of the surrounding area which will be good enough for me. Being able to easily access everything in the back and frequently carry 3-4 bikes (plus 3-4 bags of gear) plus at a 250lbs carrying limit it can easily double as a step to access the roof if/when I add a rack later on.

12. deniska

deniska Active Member

First Name:
    Dennis
    Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    How about the Carnegie SVRA in Tracy? Is that worth checking out? That’s a bit closer than Hollister for me.

Tunesoul likes this.
  13. deniska

deniska Active Member

First Name:
    Dennis
    Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    I really want to see this in action.

14. Jeepnick

Jeepnick Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle(s):
    Tacoma pro
    Liked:
    I’ll instal my kuat rack with the pivot on my jl for the first time next weekend
    Will post up

terrytnt likes this.
  15. Tunesoul

Tunesoul Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Kirk
    Vehicle(s):
    1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport, 2012 Subaru Outback, 2018 Ocean Blue JLUR
    Liked:
    Owner of an Mobile Auto Paint Touch Up Co.
    I haven't been there yet. Check it out, and let us know how it is?!?