General thoughts on ICE depreciation?

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
I’m All for public trans but not everyone will have it, especially in more rural areas.
No they won’t! Better move to a population center (as they want) or get a horse!
Sponsored

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
Not sure I can use public transportation to earn a living....

:giggle:

FAAD8ADB-3ED5-47CC-82D7-D007F8D01A3B.jpeg
Don’t worry- you will get a basic income check (or debit card that only allows for “approved” purchases) and they get the bonus of your rig being off the road.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
No they won’t! Better move to a population center (as they want) or get a horse!
Been there, done that. A horse cost per mile is higher than fuel.

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I’m All for public trans but not everyone will have it, especially in more rural areas.
Makes sense as here in America we want to drive wherever we want to whenever we want. When I go to places like Switzerland and need to travel to the rural areas, I use public transportation. Downfall is, I have to use my cell phone to look up the schedules, then get the tickets. After that, I then need to wait at the station for the train or gondola. I also have to walk. So for example, from Zurich to Murren (which doesn't allow cars) I had to take three trains and one gondola. Then have to hoof it for 1000M at the end.

Don't even get me started on the bullet trains in China or Japan. traveling at 200 mph all while just sleeping or having a glass of wine, is terrible. I'd rather take my Jeep and drive that distance as it's the experience and not the convenience. Think about it, you can;t stop at a truck stop and fill up in those foreign countries and get a 2 lb bag of beef jerky along with a gallon of hot coffee to keep you awake for the drive.

On a side note, I travel all over the world and use private and public transportation. Nobody has it perfect but we really need to find something in the middle as opposed to being so polar on it.

Sponsored

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
The price of fuel hasn't slowed down the volume of traffic in Los Angeles/OC.
Interesting. Back when I was in Iceland, the price of gas in the us was running around $2/gal. In Iceland, it was $8/gal. For some reason they have superjeeps and tons of crew cab duallys out in the country and they seem to still use them even at that time.

In case you don't know, anything that has big tires on it and is 4wd is called a SuperJeep. Just search "Iceland SuperJeep" and you'll see.

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
You might want to take a look at the low amount of infrastructure that was included in the bill named for it. It was a joke.
Maybe the joke’s on you. The infrastructure bill HR3684 did get passed into law (by act of Congress Public Law 117-58) and it contains very plain vanilla infrastructure. The vote was very bipartisan in the Senate 69-30 but mostly along partisan line in the House 228-205.

https://www.congress.gov/117/plaws/publ58/PLAW-117publ58.pdf

The Build Back Better plan HR5376 was not passed and it contains numerous items that are not infrastructure but marketed by the White House as being part of an infrastructure overhaul.

CNY-JLUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
On a side note, I travel all over the world and use private and public transportation. Nobody has it perfect but we really need to find something in the middle as opposed to being so polar on it.
Most Americans, especially the ones on this forum, lack this perspective.

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Most Americans, especially the ones on this forum, lack this perspective.
When I went to Amsterdam and found out that the majority of the Taxis were Teslas, it got me thinking. Tesla is an American owned company and the Teslas that I were riding in were most likely built in America (at the time, the Euro plant was not done) by Americans. When I go back next month, I am expecting to see lots of Jeeps as the HQ is in that city but I doubt it. I suspect, it'll be full (except for the bazillion bicycles) of a bunch of those American cars that are called Teslas that they use for taxis. It confuses me that for a company that is doing exactly what we want except for one item (non ICE) that they are thrown under the bus by so many. It's ironic to see Texas will be the EV capital of the world since Tesla moved there.

Sponsored

OP
OP
av8or

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx-retired
Wow! i didn’t expect this many pages on this topic. I’ve read every comment and appreciate the the tremendous feedback. I’m really not focused to heavily on the politics of the subject, the end goal of using sustainable energy vs unsustainable energy seems logical to me. As to when and how quickly it happens is more of what I’m trying to figure out. Selfishly I’d like to be on the right side of the switch so as to loose the least amount of dollars while I’m saving the planet.🤷‍♂️

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
Makes sense as here in America we want to drive wherever we want to whenever we want. When I go to places like Switzerland and need to travel to the rural areas, I use public transportation. Downfall is, I have to use my cell phone to look up the schedules, then get the tickets. After that, I then need to wait at the station for the train or gondola. I also have to walk. So for example, from Zurich to Murren (which doesn't allow cars) I had to take three trains and one gondola. Then have to hoof it for 1000M at the end.

Don't even get me started on the bullet trains in China or Japan. traveling at 200 mph all while just sleeping or having a glass of wine, is terrible. I'd rather take my Jeep and drive that distance as it's the experience and not the convenience. Think about it, you can;t stop at a truck stop and fill up in those foreign countries and get a 2 lb bag of beef jerky along with a gallon of hot coffee to keep you awake for the drive.

Japan bullet trains are nice and convenient for getting around, their transportation system is one of the best I've experienced. Easy to develop when your military power is gutted and not allowed to fund or expand much until recently. Japan (Europe as well) also has highways you can stop along and buy squid pieces (I prefer the ticket ramen) and coffee to keep yourself awake so let's not pretend it doesn't exist.

America is a unique problem, our states are governed independently and as such aren't always in unison when it comes to interconnecting transportation or city planning for public transport/foot traffic. We do have some passenger train routes and bus stations though. The problem is mostly urban people trying to tell rural people how they need to live without actually understanding how difficult that would be to make happen. Not everyone is eager to own nothing and be happy about it.

alleycat

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Willys 2.0t
Occupation
Retired
I think we will need to adopt some type of universal quick swap battery so that you can drop your dead battery at the station and slap in a charged one kind of like propranolol cylinder exchange. That would solve the problem of long recharge times. Now, the problem of not being able to meet the electricity demands is a whole nother issue. We would need to build a lot more electric plants and while many people would like that, none of them want them anywhere near where they live.
Jeep Wrangler JL General thoughts on ICE depreciation? 1651456084926

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
I owned a Tesla M3 that I sold for a profit last year. I have a Model Y on order. I enjoy the drivability of an EV an look forward to owning one again, especially for short and mid range trips. That said it will be many years before ICE vehicles won’t be made and sold, especially for situations involving towing and hauling. Battery technology is still too clunky and comparatively slow to “fuel”.

The real joke is our national planners and politicians. I’m all for helping the environment, but until China and India stop building coal fired electric plants, our carbon sequestration efforts are nothing more than an expensive and nearly meaningless effort.
Sponsored