First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKUR 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Occupation
Astronaut
Everyone views the world from their knothole, I suppose. But I still think the market determines what sells. Auto makers wouldn't focus on the current configurations if the market wasn't buying them. It's not like the auto makers all get together and agree on what style vehicles to sell.
Here's an interesting article about how our choices in vehicles has been effected by CAFE. It's an older article but it does a good job explaining why U.S. vehicles have become supersized.
https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2012/10/how-cafe-killed-compact-trucks-and-station-wagons/
Sponsored

Sublime

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HellaYella Rubicon
Think, I might have, just might have heard or read 🤔 about how the elected legislators of the United States of America cannot agree to fund basic infrastructure befitting a first world country, let alone investments in next-gen infrastructure for the industrial revolutions of the 21st century. Maybe I’m mistaken. Could just be a rumor on the Internet that the US Congress is perfectly happy to fall behind the rest of the world. They say that this country will soon look more like Mustafar than Coruscant. Nah. That can’t be true. I am sure it was just a meme that someone tagged on Facebook.
You might want to take a look at the low amount of infrastructure that was included in the bill named for it. It was a joke.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
O
How about this, ICE vehicles will appreciate in value as EVs become mandated. There won't be enough infrastructure to support EVs, EV range will be less than ICE, EVs cost significantly more and the sale/availability of new ICE vehicles is reduced or prohibited. that will drive the price of used ICE vehicles up. The only way kill off ICE vehicles is to ban the sale of fuel.
Or continue implementing energy policies like the ones since January 2021 that have created shortages and dependence on foreign sources skyrocketing prices, increasing fuel tax to further increase price (auto with sales tax) , emissions standards on all fuel powered engines and the refineries that produce the fuel, mpg standards that will require a small underpowered engine we won’t want and implementing a mileage tax so ev’s will be taxed and ice will pay both, taxpayer funded bribes for EV purchases, electric ratepayer funded bribes on charging rates, and now even preferred parking and I’sure they will come up with more- IE- higher ice registration fees until we are pushed out of ice!

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
The price of fuel hasn't slowed down the volume of traffic in Los Angeles/OC.

Apexcars

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 RAM 1500
I think we will need to adopt some type of universal quick swap battery so that you can drop your dead battery at the station and slap in a charged one kind of like propranolol cylinder exchange. That would solve the problem of long recharge times. Now, the problem of not being able to meet the electricity demands is a whole nother issue. We would need to build a lot more electric plants and while many people would like that, none of them want them anywhere near where they live.

Sponsored

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
Everyone views the world from their knothole, I suppose. But I still think the market determines what sells. Auto makers wouldn't focus on the current configurations if the market wasn't buying them. It's not like the auto makers all get together and agree on what style vehicles to sell.
This is not entirely true, auto makers are influenced by regulations and consumers are influenced by social pressures. When both of those influences begin pushing in a similar direction we get a market shift, we're seeing coups and some sedans dropped and small SUVs being pushed. If you look at body styles between the manufacturers there are a lot of similarities that are too consistent to be coincidental. The outlier right now is the truck scene, they're all too large to be economical unless they're pushing the size to then replace the power plant and driveline for generators and batteries.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Honestly I dont care. If they can give me an EV that gets good range on road, off road, city, highway AND towing. Also a solid electrical infrastructure to be able to charge my EV almost anywhere AND fast. Then I dont give a damn about ICE.

If they cant get there in less than 10 years then ICE is gonna remain popular. They cant and wont ban until the public switches over.

It is 2022 and good EVs are expensive af, cant tow shit, take forever to charge compared to ICE. And they look stupid and feel cheap. I was in the market for a new economy commuting sedan in 2021. I tried out the tesla model 3 and it was a pos. Ended up with a Camry. Way more solid better quality vehicle overall. The tesla was a giant piece of plastic. Also the Camry is as big and spacious as the model S. The model 3 was tiny and uncomfortable.

I like the hybrid tech Jeep is playing with. If it keeps getting better I might sell my Camry in a few years for a grand cherokee 4xe

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I think we will need to adopt some type of universal quick swap battery so that you can drop your dead battery at the station and slap in a charged one kind of like propranolol cylinder exchange. That would solve the problem of long recharge times. Now, the problem of not being able to meet the electricity demands is a whole nother issue. We would need to build a lot more electric plants and while many people would like that, none of them want them anywhere near where they live.
I saw an article that showed some examples of just that. They even had concepts for ganging mulitple batteries for larger vehicles (trucks too). I think it's one concept that could work for faster turnarounds at refueling EVs, given today's battery technology.

But any collaboration by makers will undoubtedly get the conspiracy theorists to come out of the woodwork. SAE is probably just a cover for a conspiracy network organization.

jameslavis

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Unlimited Sport S
i just had a chat on this. i moved my rebel with a good profit over what i paid. once gas hits over 2 here in ontario, people will start to move to electric faster.

soon enough, dealers will see an influx of ice trades and you will take a beating. ice value clock is ticking.

McLeadslinger

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.[Banned Site]
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willy’s
It’s a pipe dream to think EV’s will take over in the next 10 years. ICE vehicles won’t go away for a long time. Im a very fortunate person to have a really good income and can afford a new EV no problem. But a lot of families don’t have the funds or good enough credit to buy a new or used car so they continue to drive a several decades old car. What’s the states plans for those individuals if they mandate “ev only” laws?

Sponsored

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
Yeah...I just bought a TRX so that should tell you where I stand on ICE...
I firmly believe gas prices will start to decline drastically, say at the latest in 2024...

On EV...Give me at least a 450 mile range-in all climate conditions, give me 5 minute full charging with as many charging stations as gas pumps and with the same number of locations throughout the country...then let's talk.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
S
It’s a pipe dream to think EV’s will take over in the next 10 years. ICE vehicles won’t go away for a long time. Im a very fortunate person to have a really good income and can afford a new EV no problem. But a lot of families don’t have the funds or good enough credit to buy a new or used car so they continue to drive a several decades old car. What’s the states plans for those individuals if they mandate “ev only” laws?
Simple— Public Transportation! They have-are- and will continue to ramp up pressure to use it!

gsbrockman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys XR in Hydro Blue
Occupation
Owner / Operator Brockman Hauling, LLC
Vehicle Showcase
Simple— Public Transportation! They have-are- and will continue to ramp up pressure to use it!
Not sure I can use public transportation to earn a living....

:giggle:

Jeep Wrangler JL General thoughts on ICE depreciation? FAAD8ADB-3ED5-47CC-82D7-D007F8D01A3B
Sponsored