Sponsored

Xtreme Recon Package ( Worth the $$$ ) ?

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I’m fully on board with the value of the XR package, but hate that it’s only offered with the v6 or 392. In my opinion the 2.0t is the better engine for our use. The 4xe would likely be my choice if I were buying new which eliminates the XR package as an option too. If you aren’t going to wheel it much, I’d say save the money and get the 2.0t. A small lift and 35’s will be fine with the 4.10’s and likely cost half what the XR/v6/etorque combo costs or less. Then you have better suspension and more travel than the stock X and you get to choose whichever 35’s you want(I’m not a fan of the ko2’s). The 4.56 gears, stronger front axle, bigger brakes, and swing gate reenforcement are great if you’re going bigger than 35’s down the road or plan to wheel it hard, but are entirely unnecessary for 35’s and mild use.
Sponsored

DontCallMeRubi

First Name
DR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR/2017 Corvette Z06
Thx ,,, may I ask, How has your MPG been with the XR? From what I am reading, it’s seems like I am in for a surprise, compared to my 2.0 2dr Rubi (20-21 highway), I have now.
My 2021 JLUR XR is getting about 15.5 mpg combined city/highway for the 700 miles I have so far since 10/26/21 and I take it easy on the road trying to squeeze highest mpg I can.

ROkchips

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Aviation Maintenance
Newbie future Rubicon owner here as well, I was trying to build a diesel XR package but I guess it is only available in the 6.4 or 3.6? Curious if anyone knows why this is?

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
My 2021 JLUR XR is getting about 15.5 mpg combined city/highway for the 700 miles I have so far since 10/26/21 and I take it easy on the road trying to squeeze highest mpg I can.
One of several reasons why I think the 2.0t is the better engine. I tend to drive aggressively and usually have the cruise control set at 85mph on the freeway in our 2019 on 4.10 gears and 37’s and still get 15-17mpg on average.

DontCallMeRubi

First Name
DR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR/2017 Corvette Z06
Timely thread,.... I am new to the forum and have been reading a lot as I attempt to put together a future order for a JLUx. I currently own a 1999 TJ 4.0 5SPD with 27K miles on 315/70/17 with 4:88s on a mild lift from previous owner.

There are certainly many opinions on what is "right" but each use case, financial abilities and requirements are very different for each one of us. For me, it is a DD mall crawler that is off-road capable for mild and intermediate stuff straight from the factory and the XR fits that bill.

After many hours reading posts learning about options and opinions here is what I have. I start the build with the JLUR with XR package, V6 engine auto, Rock Trac Full Time, freedom top, standard bumpers and unpainted fenders.

Reason: The Rubicon is in my view the only non-luxury trim to buy as it comes with 4:10 gears, beefier axles with lockers, and cool red trimmed interior. The XR package for $4K provides the mild lift and tire size that I want (same as my current TJ). The added bonus is the reinforced tailgate ($695), HD axle, bigger breaks, and the 4:56 gears (which would cost a lot to swap do on other trims). For me, having the reinforced rear gate simplifies the rear bumper after market choices as no tire carrier is needed (something I had to do in my TJ with the ARB bumper). The ultra bonus is the whole thing has a factory warranty and support. Finally, the other trims like Willys do not have the proper gears to run 35s and would need re-gearing.

With that as a base build, I’d skip these options: Leather Trim, LED Group, Tow Group, ACC for a total of $4830.

Reasons:

Members seem to be split between leather and cloth, but this is something that could be upgraded later using covers or custom leather upgrades. The rear seat is different along with some other minor interior differences, but for $1725, or almost half the cost of the XR package, I think leather is easy to delete from the build and get the XR. I currently have cloth in my TJ with bartact covers and I am OK with that route in the future shall the need arise.

Next are LED lights at almost $1500. These are items that can be upgraded with custom lights from Oracle and other vendors. This is an area that can be done gradually and achieve a custom look that is non factory. I upgraded my TJs with KW Speakers and they work great to solve the “dim” problem. As options go, this one is easy to make

Next is the TOW package at $845. There are aftermarket choices for wiring and receivers. Some bumpers come with a receiver hitch too. The AUX switches are nice but there are aftermarket options for them too. The forum seems to be on agreement this is an option worth adding but for my use case these are upgrades that can be done gradually to get the same fuinctionality and kept off the build order and eventual financing.

Next is the ACC (advanced safety group) option at $795. This is something that has mixed reviews in the forum. Some love it and some not so much. In the end this is not a “must have” or something I see myself using often. There is no aftermarket option but seeing how little use I expect from it this one is an easy one to delete from the build.

I kept the Basic Safety group at $995 because this feature seems to have wide approval in the forum as a good safety item for all of the drivers. This can not be added aftermarket and thus is included in the build order. As a bonus, it comes with LED tail lights.

Is summary, removing options that I can upgrade gradually help me acquire the option that is expensive to do in the after market… a mild lift with 35s, wheels, and 4:56 gears with a rear gate upgrade and factory warranty. By shaving $5000 of the build order the finance comes down by around $80/mo. In essence it is a trade off between options and the degree of difficulty and expense in doing afterwards. I know there will be expenses with on-going upgrades but the goal is to keep them off the monthly finance costs and incurr them as "fun expenses", plus I can tell people what Jeep Gifts would be nice to have 😊.

At the end of the day, the definition of what will make you happy is the "conformance to requirements" for your build. YMMV.
For me, I like the Tow package because it's nice to have the pre-wired switches ready for a simple hook-up under the hood and they are already part of the dash and look cool too...plus there is some circuits under the dash with ignition on and always on power waiting for something...something to think about anyway.

Sponsored

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
interesting.
the current (2022) website doesn't allow me to build the Willys configuration i have; no diesel, and no mention of the brakes. i have no idea how they come configured now.

All I can go by is the Ordering Guide, and best I can decipher...
Sport (including Willys) Sahara, and Rubicon all get the BR6 Disc brakes.
Rubicon 392 gets the BR4 performance disc brakes
...and the XR package includes the BR4 performance disc brakes.

YMMV

pepeborja

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Jeep TJ, 2012 Acura MDX, 2017 BMW i3
interesting.
the current (2022) website doesn't allow me to build the Willys configuration i have; no diesel, and no mention of the brakes. i have no idea how they come configured now.
I was looking at the pricing guide for Jan 17 last night to see if the XR is offered on Willys. It shows Diesel and XR ara available.... XR only on Willys... But only with V6 etorque. After pricing a Willys and Rubicon XR it seems the Rubicon is a tad higher by about $3K.

Jeep Wrangler JL Xtreme Recon Package ( Worth the $$$ ) ? willys2.GIF

Jeep Wrangler JL Xtreme Recon Package ( Worth the $$$ ) ? willys1.GIF

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I was looking at the pricing guide for Jan 17 last night to see if the XR is offered on Willys. It shows Diesel and XR ara available.... XR only on Willys... But only with V6 etorque. After pricing a Willys and Rubicon XR it seems the Rubicon is a tad higher by about $3K.

The fact that a Rubicon is only $3k more when equipped the same destroys the idea that the willys is the budget off roader. You'll spend virtually all of that adding a selectable front locker. You still won't have the sway bar disconnect, the rear locker (factory limited slips are weak and prone to failure well under 100k miles), the hood, high clearance fenders, etc. I know this thread is about the xr package value, but clearly the Rubicon package is where the true value lies.

BoatTox

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLU Rubicon XR -Skratch
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sitting
I bought mine in October as well. I have 4300 miles on it so far in my average mpg has been between 16.8 and 17.5 mpg. I drive it normally and on my highway trips normally run it between 72 and 76 miles an hour. I’m wondering why we have such a difference in mileage? I took my long antenna off, could that be it :). I have the e-torque V6, My understanding is all of us who have XR Rubicon‘s have the same engine?

Wheelin Matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Xtreme Recon
I bought mine in October as well. I have 4300 miles on it so far in my average mpg has been between 16.8 and 17.5 mpg. I drive it normally and on my highway trips normally run it between 72 and 76 miles an hour. I’m wondering why we have such a difference in mileage? I took my long antenna off, could that be it :). I have the e-torque V6, My understanding is all of us who have XR Rubicon‘s have the same engine?
I’ve had my XR since mid October and have almost 7000 miles on it. I run 18-20mpg and was pleasantly surprised by this!

Sponsored

zdr

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon V6 6-Speed Manual
I’ve had my XR since mid October and have almost 7000 miles on it. I run 18-20mpg and was pleasantly surprised by this!
I have a 21' 6 speed (V6) at about 6,000 miles and I'm currently averaging 17-18 mpg without driving too aggressively. Over the Summer into Fall it was 20-21, so I'm guessing it's the Winter fuel mixture?

pepeborja

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Jeep TJ, 2012 Acura MDX, 2017 BMW i3
The fact that a Rubicon is only $3k more when equipped the same destroys the idea that the willys is the budget off roader. You'll spend virtually all of that adding a selectable front locker. You still won't have the sway bar disconnect, the rear locker (factory limited slips are weak and prone to failure well under 100k miles), the hood, high clearance fenders, etc. I know this thread is about the xr package value, but clearly the Rubicon package is where the true value lies.
Agree for sure. The Willys does come with LED lights, which I added to the Rubi build, but when adjusted for non LED makes the Rubi only $1500 more. The LED group is one option that can be skipped for aftermarket products which are readily available. I do not know if Rock Trac would be available in the Willys but I assumed it is.

One interesting note is that for about the same coin the Willys XR could be had with half doors for ultimate summer coolness and mall crawling abilities.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Agree for sure. The Willys does come with LED lights, which I added to the Rubi build, but when adjusted for non LED makes the Rubi only $1500 more. The LED group is one option that can be skipped for aftermarket products which are readily available. I do not know if Rock Trac would be available in the Willys but I assumed it is.

One interesting note is that for about the same coin the Willys XR could be had with half doors for ultimate summer coolness and mall crawling abilities.
The appeal of half doors has always been lost on me, if I want open driving I’ll just pull the doors and save $3k…

PumpkinMeatloaf

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Punk'n Edition
PS - you didn’t specify in your original post if you were building a Rubicon or a Willys. You can order XR on a Willys, too. That’d save you a bundle right there.

But again, it all depends how you plan to use the Jeep.
I looked at building the Willy's on the site and I didn't see the XR available for it. I must be missing something.