Extreme Recon Package Worth it for Me?

Wheelin Matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Xtreme Recon
It states 35” tire suspension. That means it has a small lift, 1.5” is what they say. It’s perfect for 35’s because a regular Rubicon with 35’s is hit or miss wether it’ll rub.
I have an XR and it’s setup exactly how I want it to be. Before this I had a regular rubicon and had to have a shop do those mods for me and they messed it up
I think yes, you should get the XR. You’ll love it! Here’s my stock Rubicon XR 😀
Jeep Wrangler JL Extreme Recon Package Worth it for Me? C1DCE8CA-1514-4358-818D-15E1476230B9

Wheelin Matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Xtreme Recon
If you want to beadlock the tires you need to buy the beadlock rings separately (they come with rim protection rings) and you’ll have to do it yourself because tire shops won’t do it for you (not street legal). These rings look nice and they do protect the rim but they aren’t actual beadlock rings (sold separately). Notice scratches all over the rings but not the actual rims
Jeep Wrangler JL Extreme Recon Package Worth it for Me? 6DA6F136-AF0F-4E19-BB49-F38A7705542C

Wheelin Matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Xtreme Recon
Can you fit 35s with chains with the XR package?

How about 37s with chains?
I have chains for mine but haven’t used them. They should work fine with 35’s but no way would chains work with 37’s. The XR lift isn’t enough to clear 37’s comfortably

OP
OP

treillw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
If you want to beadlock the tires you need to buy the beadlock rings separately (they come with rim protection rings) and you’ll have to do it yourself because tire shops won’t do it for you (not street legal)
Oh boy. Are they safe for the road?

How about legal in Montana? We have some pretty lax vehicle laws. Or is it governed by something else?

I'm sure lots are using them anyway??

Sponsored

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I thought XR didn't come with a lift kit. What lift does it have? How many inches is it? Why don't they mention the lift in the details of the package, or am I having another "2020" moment?

So is the XR lift better than the 2" mopar lift? ( I have no clue what a good lift is) All I really need it to do is not scrape snow, rocks, and clear the chains.

How about the view that the shocks included in the package "aren't that great"?

Thanks!
XR lift is equivalent to rubicon suspension in ride and quality but it sits 1.5” taller

The mopar 2” lift is closer to 3” in real lift and has different (fox) shocks

You’ll clear the 35s with room to spare, I don’t really know how much space chains actually need as I’ve never used them.

I really don’t have much input on the stock shocks, I used them for less than 400 miles before lifting my XR. But like I said, they’re equal to those found on a regular rubicon, just a bit longer.

Wheelin Matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Xtreme Recon
Oh boy. Are they safe for the road?

How about legal in Montana? We have some pretty lax vehicle laws. Or is it governed by something else?

I'm sure lots are using them anyway??
I’ve never used beadlock wheels and I don’t plan on using these as beadlock wheels either. They look great and the rings protect the rims from scratches but the bolts that hold the rings strip easily and most folks have had issues using these as bead locks. I’ve never felt the need to actually get beadlocked đŸ€·đŸœâ€â™‚ïž

OP
OP

treillw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
XR lift is equivalent to rubicon suspension in ride and quality but it sits 1.5” taller

You’ll clear the 35s with room to spare, I don’t really know how much space chains actually need as I’ve never used them.

I really don’t have much input on the stock shocks, I used them for less than 400 miles before lifting my XR. But like I said, they’re equal to those found on a regular rubicon, just a bit longer.
The fox shocks make my ears perk up. I have them on my mountain bike and they are incredible. They make great stuff.

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

How do you beadlock them? They come from the factory not beadlocked?

Guess a tire shop needs to do it?
Mopar beadlock rings. They’rea DIY project, as they’re not technically DOT legal. I don’t suggest this for your use, but it’s a nice feature if you’re trying to squeak every bit out of your rig

Sponsored

OP
OP

treillw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee

The v bar chains that I have now for my grandpa Cherokee are 3/4" thick. I'll call a chain shop to get a thickness on chains for 35" tires. They might be the same, but who knows. Shouldn't be much more than an inch at the thickest.

OP
OP

treillw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Called two chain places. One place told me that you need 1.5 to 2" of clearance around your wheel for the chains.

Another place told me that the chains are 1.5" thick, which seems excessively thick, unless they are crampon chains!

OP
OP

treillw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
If at some point I decided I wanted more of a lift than the XR package offers, what would I have to modify on it?

OP
OP

treillw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
I have chains for mine but haven’t used them. They should work fine with 35’s but no way would chains work with 37’s. The XR lift isn’t enough to clear 37’s comfortably
What chains did you go with?

What is the minimum clearance you have from the tire to the fender? The chain shop told me I need 1.5 to 2" clearance for them not to rub. That doesn't sound like enough room to allow for shock compression if the chains themselves are ~1" thick.

Wheelin Matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Xtreme Recon
For one you keep the sway bar connected to not allow too much flex in front. Mine are v-bar chains so they stick out even more. I only have them “just in case” but don’t plan on going snow wheeling. I did use them a bunch of times snow wheeling with my lifted TJ on 35’s and they worked great. For just driving flat road i think they’d be fine on my JL, as long as I wasn’t articulating much.
Sponsored