Sponsored

Xtreme Recon Package ( Worth the $$$ ) ?

CWHallman

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2022 JLUR XR on the way!😁😁😁
I want the offroad capability. My jeep spends about half its time in the forest, hunting, fishing, SAR ect.. That said, I do like the looks as well. I basically built an XR out of my JK and it has served me well over the last decade. My new JL is even more capable.

20220123_135222.jpg

20220123_135207.jpg
What lift did you go with? Thanks
Sponsored

pepeborja

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Jeep TJ, 2012 Acura MDX, 2017 BMW i3
So with the new price jumps. I’m thinking about canceling the XR package from my build. $4k + $1250 new pricing for the V6 Etourque = $5250 … If I scratch that package & then opt for the 2.0 that is -$500. So technically I would be saving a whopping $5750.00. If I am reading the build sheet correctly? I think Jeep should cut people some slack on the engine price. Since u can not choose the 2.0 , when you opt for the XR package …. What’s your thoughts guys?
I am in the same boat and I am going through the same exercise, collecting as much info as I can and reading reviews and opinions to help guide my decision-making process for ordering a JLU with a mild lift and 35s, strictly for fun and as a secondary vehicle.

The XR route is VERY appealing. Members in the forum give it a yuge thumbs up in looks, drivability, and factory warranty, not to mention the bonus bits like 4:56 gearing, brakes, reinforced rear gate, and beefier axle and brakes. The option comes with the 3.6L ETORQUE and not the 2.0T, which adds $1576 to the base invoice price. The lift is the 392 suspension but seems to work well in terms of function and looks.

Going the 2.0T route without the XR brings the net invoice price down by $5016. This option is appealing because I can add my own suspension lift, wheels, and tires for a personalized look, which is a big part of the Jeep culture.

It boils down to going the XR route for a turn key Jeep on 35s and living with the factory look or I going the 2.0T route and doing my own 35s personalization. The loss of the XRs 4:56 gears or HD axle is of limited consequence given my mild off-road requirements. BUT, I could still go the XR route and sell the XR wheels and tires, using the proceeds to help me get the custom look that does not have the “factory” image. I can always mod the 392 suspension down the road if needed but that is questionable.

Finance wise the 2.0T option makes the most sense. The monthly payment is around $100 less per month and the lift, wheels, tires, and reinforced gate can be done over time and without going over the $5000 difference and paying as you go.

In summary, unless the 3.6L ETORQUE is a deal killer the XR route is the best way to go to get the 35s look and functionality. Wheels and tires can be swapped to change the factory look and one gets the bonus XR bits, especially the 4:56 gears. If one likes the 2.0T over the ETORQUE V6 the $5000 difference will go a long way to get the missing bits and as a bonus it comes with a much lower monthly payment.

The table below has my two finalists with my MUST have options… the 25R or the 22R. I have one foot on the 25R with the XR package and the other one in a banana peel. I must move fast as the inflation is going to continue. Prices will spike up in another quarter and interest rates will go up too. Prices are Invoice with a 3% Chapman discount. Payments calculated with $30K down.

Jeep Wrangler JL Xtreme Recon Package ( Worth the $$$ ) ? R1.GIF

The forum has been of great help. Good luck with your choice.

OP
OP
dshark1

dshark1

First Name
Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JLR
I am in the same boat and I am going through the same exercise, collecting as much info as I can and reading reviews and opinions to help guide my decision-making process for ordering a JLU with a mild lift and 35s, strictly for fun and as a secondary vehicle.

The XR route is VERY appealing. Members in the forum give it a yuge thumbs up in looks, drivability, and factory warranty, not to mention the bonus bits like 4:56 gearing, brakes, reinforced rear gate, and beefier axle and brakes. The option comes with the 3.6L ETORQUE and not the 2.0T, which adds $1576 to the base invoice price. The lift is the 392 suspension but seems to work well in terms of function and looks.

Going the 2.0T route without the XR brings the net invoice price down by $5016. This option is appealing because I can add my own suspension lift, wheels, and tires for a personalized look, which is a big part of the Jeep culture.

It boils down to going the XR route for a turn key Jeep on 35s and living with the factory look or I going the 2.0T route and doing my own 35s personalization. The loss of the XRs 4:56 gears or HD axle is of limited consequence given my mild off-road requirements. BUT, I could still go the XR route and sell the XR wheels and tires, using the proceeds to help me get the custom look that does not have the “factory” image. I can always mod the 392 suspension down the road if needed but that is questionable.

Finance wise the 2.0T option makes the most sense. The monthly payment is around $100 less per month and the lift, wheels, tires, and reinforced gate can be done over time and without going over the $5000 difference and paying as you go.

In summary, unless the 3.6L ETORQUE is a deal killer the XR route is the best way to go to get the 35s look and functionality. Wheels and tires can be swapped to change the factory look and one gets the bonus XR bits, especially the 4:56 gears. If one likes the 2.0T over the ETORQUE V6 the $5000 difference will go a long way to get the missing bits and as a bonus it comes with a much lower monthly payment.

The table below has my two finalists with my MUST have options… the 25R or the 22R. I have one foot on the 25R with the XR package and the other one in a banana peel. I must move fast as the inflation is going to continue. Prices will spike up in another quarter and interest rates will go up too. Prices are Invoice with a 3% Chapman discount. Payments calculated with $30K down.

Jeep Wrangler JL Xtreme Recon Package ( Worth the $$$ ) ? R1.GIF

The forum has been of great help. Good luck with your choice.
Thank U. Good luck 2 U also. I am probably gonna end up leasing my Jeep. So with that being said, I end up going with the XR package. On a lease it’s about $50 extra bucks a month vs a finance.

Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
So with the new price jumps. I’m thinking about canceling the XR package from my build. $4k + $1250 new pricing for the V6 Etourque = $5250 … If I scratch that package & then opt for the 2.0 that is -$500. So technically I would be saving a whopping $5750.00. If I am reading the build sheet correctly? I think Jeep should cut people some slack on the engine price. Since u can not choose the 2.0 , when you opt for the XR package …. What’s your thoughts guys?
I'd skip the XR option as it's overpriced. After wheeling and working on a couple of them they also have some really obvious flaws to maximize profit. They need control arms, track bars, and shocks - so all you are really getting are springs.

Gears can be done for $2000 or less.

Aftermarket lift by a good name brand. $2500 - $3000 or so DIY.

oldman

First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited JL SS, ordered 2022 Rubicon XR
I'd skip the XR option as it's overpriced. After wheeling and working on a couple of them they also have some really obvious flaws to maximize profit. They need control arms, track bars, and shocks - so all you are really getting are springs.

Gears can be done for $2000 or less.

Aftermarket lift by a good name brand. $2500 - $3000 or so DIY.
I mostly agree with comments on this thread but..
I have owned and built several Jeep Wranglers from the CJ, TJ, JK, and JLs including a ordered 2022 Rubicon XR. I have experienced building and adding aftermarket accessories from suspension, oversized wheels and tires to re-gearing. Be aware that your newly ordered vehicle may not be covered by any 3 year or drivetrain warranty once you alter your vehicle with aftermarket products/accessories. Even the simplest change of a wheel oversized diameter, width, weight or backspacing and added larger tire size, width, weight, etc. can void your warranty unless you can prove that it didn't cause any damage or failure for your claim. I know and fought for coverage and lost!! What a shock and had to eat the repair costs which I accepted.
I still do my own builds but am very aware of what is covered and not when it comes to my Jeep Warranty.

pepeborja

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Jeep TJ, 2012 Acura MDX, 2017 BMW i3
Thank U. Good luck 2 U also. I am probably gonna end up leasing my Jeep. So with that being said, I end up going with the XR package. On a lease it’s about $50 extra bucks a month vs a finance.
Got back the quote from the dealer this AM. I asked them to include LED group into it just to get the full picture with LED package. After much thinking I removed the LED Group and Security Group to shave $2332 from the invoice.

The half doors are non-negotiable for me and given a choice I would rather have them than those two options. The LEDs can be added aftermarket and I can live without the security group just fine. This rig will replace my TJ and believe me, the TJ has none of these bells. Not even cruise control.

The build is down to JLUR in bright white with black freedom top and unpainted fenders, XR with Half/Prem door, and Rock Trac. Roughly $56,800 after 3% discount.

A similarly equipped Willys is $2008 less but it comes with LEDs. It is good to have choices but the Rubicon is worth the extra $2K.

Mabar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2-Door
I forgot to mention in my review that the upgraded brakes are impressive as well. I already thought the standard rubi JL brakes were good, but the XR’s upgraded brakes have better feel and stopping power.
Are the brakes upgraded over the standard Rubicon brakes? If so, do you know how?

Abramovich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S (Chief) and 2022 Willys XR (Gobi) ord
Occupation
Retired
Are the brakes upgraded over the standard Rubicon brakes? If so, do you know how?
STANDARD EQUIPMENT (UNLESS REPLACED BY OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT)
Sport; ANTI-LOCK 4-WHEEL DISC HD BRAKES (BR6)
Rubicon; ANTI-LOCK 4-WHEEL FNC DISC HD BRAKES (BR2)
Rubicon392; ANTI-LOCK 4-WHEEL DISC PERF BRAKES (BR4)
4XE: ABS 4-WHEEL DISC REGEN BRAKES (BR3)

OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT
8-SPD AUTO 850RE TRANS; ANTI-LOCK 4-WHEEL DISC BRAKES (BRY)
Xtreme Recon 35" Tire Package; ANTI-LOCK 4-WHEEL DISC PERF BRAKES (BR4)

I can't find data that definitively shows rotor size (diameter and thickness) for each code, but I think BRY has a 328mm rear rotor (often referenced as 330mm), and I think BR2 and BR6 has the 342mm rear rotor (often referenced as 350mm). I also believe the BR4 code that comes with Xtreme Recon has the same front rotors as BR2, but different rear rotors.

Jeep Wrangler JL Xtreme Recon Package ( Worth the $$$ ) ? 1643671674470

Last edited:

Sponsored

Mabar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2-Door
Yes, the Extreme Recon package is "Worth the $$$", but I wish it was available in a 2-door version.

Projected

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Transit 350 awd - 12 Frontier Pro4x Titan swapped
I'll be ordering a Willys XR as soon as Gobi drops. I think the XR package is an unbelievable value for those of us that want the beefier axles, bigger brakes, small lift, and 35" tires, but don't want a Rubicon.
I do not see the XR package available on the Willys or Willys sport when I build a Wrangler on the Jeep site. Please tell me how to get a Willys with the XR package, thanks.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
I do not see the XR package available on the Willys or Willys sport when I build a Wrangler on the Jeep site. Please tell me how to get a Willys with the XR package, thanks.
Ask dealer — order form online is often out of date unfortunately.

fresh air 1

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
My 2021 jlur is this setup and imo it rides better than stock.

Drove it fully stock from September 19 2020 until July 6 2021. Put on the lift July 6 2021, and the wheels and tires were put on one week later on July 13 2021.

Dynatrac Endurosport
Teraflex 1/2” front coil spacers
Mopar front LCAs, 1/4” longer, more caster
17”x8.5” wheels, 4.5” backspace, -6mm offset
Bfg ko2 315/70r17 tires, load c, 32-35psi

I see eighth gear all the time on the highways unless it’s a noticeable incline and even on some city streets when speed is above 40mph so no issues there. Used tazer to change tire size from ~32.5” to 34.49” and speedometer is now exact with the Global Positioning System. I know this tire is slightly smaller than 34.49” when mounted but the speedometer/odometer calibration matters more to me than the exact true physical diameter.

Nice, I was looking at this lift kit as well. Why did you add the 1/2" spacers?? Leveling?

Cowboy from hell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Dr Rubicon hydro pearl 6 speed
Imo a stock rubicon has more than enough capability to get you through 90% of stuff out there. The other 10% you might encounter, you need a winch. Back in my 20s I would have gone for the xr package for the "looks" alone. Now in my 40s, I love the "look" of a stock rubicon much more!
Sponsored