Sponsored

Xtreme Recon Package ( Worth the $$$ ) ?

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
I understand that people do this, however, it is not what it was designed for. Personally, I would not buy one unless I were to push the limits of its capabilities as I do with anything I choose to purchase.

"Will I get the full value out of this or will I be wasting its potential and paying for more than what I will use?" this is what I ask when I get anything. From a washer and dryer to the Hellcat Redeye that I have. In my opinion, I do not see the value in purchasing something that has more capability than what you will attempt to use it for. I am simply saying that I do not see the point nor the value if it will not be used.
Congratulations, you are uniquely you... Just because you don't understand why someone else would/wouldn't do something with their Jeep, why all the fuss? Every person here has different likes and dislikes, that doesn't make them good, bad, right or wrong, it makes them them...
Sponsored

blueweb

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 TJ Rubicon, '22 4xe Rubicon
While I luv my 2dr, I really do miss having more space. So I am going to take advantage of the used car prices that will allow me to walk away from my existing lease. So I figured, what the heck & ordered the XR below invoice. Which will also have a lower monthly payment then my existing. With that being said, why not! Lol
Are you going to be leasing again for 2022?

pepeborja

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Jeep TJ, 2012 Acura MDX, 2017 BMW i3
Timely thread,.... I am new to the forum and have been reading a lot as I attempt to put together a future order for a JLUx. I currently own a 1999 TJ 4.0 5SPD with 27K miles on 315/70/17 with 4:88s on a mild lift from previous owner.

There are certainly many opinions on what is "right" but each use case, financial abilities and requirements are very different for each one of us. For me, it is a DD mall crawler that is off-road capable for mild and intermediate stuff straight from the factory and the XR fits that bill.

After many hours reading posts learning about options and opinions here is what I have. I start the build with the JLUR with XR package, V6 engine auto, Rock Trac Full Time, freedom top, standard bumpers and unpainted fenders.

Reason: The Rubicon is in my view the only non-luxury trim to buy as it comes with 4:10 gears, beefier axles with lockers, and cool red trimmed interior. The XR package for $4K provides the mild lift and tire size that I want (same as my current TJ). The added bonus is the reinforced tailgate ($695), HD axle, bigger breaks, and the 4:56 gears (which would cost a lot to swap do on other trims). For me, having the reinforced rear gate simplifies the rear bumper after market choices as no tire carrier is needed (something I had to do in my TJ with the ARB bumper). The ultra bonus is the whole thing has a factory warranty and support. Finally, the other trims like Willys do not have the proper gears to run 35s and would need re-gearing.

With that as a base build, Iā€™d skip these options: Leather Trim, LED Group, Tow Group, ACC for a total of $4830.

Reasons:

Members seem to be split between leather and cloth, but this is something that could be upgraded later using covers or custom leather upgrades. The rear seat is different along with some other minor interior differences, but for $1725, or almost half the cost of the XR package, I think leather is easy to delete from the build and get the XR. I currently have cloth in my TJ with bartact covers and I am OK with that route in the future shall the need arise.

Next are LED lights at almost $1500. These are items that can be upgraded with custom lights from Oracle and other vendors. This is an area that can be done gradually and achieve a custom look that is non factory. I upgraded my TJs with KW Speakers and they work great to solve the ā€œdimā€ problem. As options go, this one is easy to make

Next is the TOW package at $845. There are aftermarket choices for wiring and receivers. Some bumpers come with a receiver hitch too. The AUX switches are nice but there are aftermarket options for them too. The forum seems to be on agreement this is an option worth adding but for my use case these are upgrades that can be done gradually to get the same fuinctionality and kept off the build order and eventual financing.

Next is the ACC (advanced safety group) option at $795. This is something that has mixed reviews in the forum. Some love it and some not so much. In the end this is not a ā€œmust haveā€ or something I see myself using often. There is no aftermarket option but seeing how little use I expect from it this one is an easy one to delete from the build.

I kept the Basic Safety group at $995 because this feature seems to have wide approval in the forum as a good safety item for all of the drivers. This can not be added aftermarket and thus is included in the build order. As a bonus, it comes with LED tail lights.

Is summary, removing options that I can upgrade gradually help me acquire the option that is expensive to do in the after marketā€¦ a mild lift with 35s, wheels, and 4:56 gears with a rear gate upgrade and factory warranty. By shaving $5000 of the build order the finance comes down by around $80/mo. In essence it is a trade off between options and the degree of difficulty and expense in doing afterwards. I know there will be expenses with on-going upgrades but the goal is to keep them off the monthly finance costs and incurr them as "fun expenses", plus I can tell people what Jeep Gifts would be nice to have šŸ˜Š.

At the end of the day, the definition of what will make you happy is the "conformance to requirements" for your build. YMMV.

Sponsored

sardogtella

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKUR. 2021 JLURXR
I did not benefit from the XR package as much as others but I am glad I got it. I immediatly upgraded the XR with an EVO 3.5 lift with 2.5 King Shocks and 37" Ridge grapplers. Made sense to me as I needed 35" tires for my JK. I figured if I did not get the XR package I would still have to buy a set of 35s. I also wanted the 4.56 gears, HD brakes, axle and tail gate reinforcement. Unfortunately my 37s are rubbing on the EVO control arms at full turn so I am putting 1.75 wheel spacers on her this weekend. I only need 1/4" spacers but they don't look as safe. All in all, I am very happy with my new rig. I am not getting the mpg I had hoped for (15-16) but then again I did not buy my jeep for gas milage.

mul1gan

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep JKUR
I think for me it would have been a great value, but unfortunately it did NOT come in a 6sp. For a split second I did consider going auto but quickly realized I would have gotten bored of the rig in a month or so. :)

pepeborja

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Jeep TJ, 2012 Acura MDX, 2017 BMW i3
Sorry, yes a Rubicon XR. I haven't looked under a Willy's XR yet.
I do not see the Willy's on the jeep.com page with the XR configuration. Are they available or was it just for a few months.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Abramovich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S (Chief) and 2022 Willys XR (Gobi) ord
Occupation
Retired
I do not see the Willy's on the jeep.com page with the XR configuration. Are they available or was it just for a few months.
They (Willys XR) are still very popular. See the Ordering Guides for accurate availability, not the Build-A-Jeep that is used primarily to move dealer inventory.

BoatTox

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLU Rubicon XR -Skratch
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sitting
I love my XR, does what I want, looks the way I want and itā€™s kind of ā€œspecialā€
Jeep Wrangler JL Xtreme Recon Package ( Worth the $$$ ) ? 90EAE9B1-61D4-4F65-A572-9AD3AE7D6472
Great Tastes Matt. I love mine as well and as a new jeeper it let me do early offroading that I might not have tried without the lift and tires. After I took it out a few times It opened a whole new world to me, and is already set for me to stay with 35"s and later upgrade to 37"s when I wear out the 35"s. I don't regret my purchase at all.

CaliJLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4xe Rubicon Past: 2016 C300, 2018 JLU Sport S
When did u place your order? It might be price protected